Pod Your Reef

Dr. Felicia's Predator Paradise - Retired

Felicia

That is perfect! I have a great spot where it will fit right in! :)

I would love some of the blue sponge Felicia. Let me know when it's ready.

Awesome! I'll put you on the interest list so I know who to get in touch with!

I hear you. You get so attached to them over the years. Our cats are like family. She has stopped venturing upstairs over the past year and only comes to snuggle when people are downstairs. I don't blame her, we have a very long staircase to get upstairs. She also sleeps almost all day. I hope your kitty passes peacefully. It is hard regardless, but I would rather they not suffer.

WOW...21!!! I'm not sure how much longer ours has. It's so hard to tell. He walks funny from arthritis as well and I think if he doesn't pass in his sleep, we'll have to put him down because his legs just won't work anymore. So far so good but I worry about him. He is able to function normally for now. Has his eyesight but has lost his hearing. He does a lot of sleeping and really only spends time in my son's room. My son has really bonded with him and it's going to be so hard when the day comes.

You two are making me sad. :( Its so hard to watch pets get old because they're really part of the family. I have a hard time thinking about Lily getting old. Having that scare about her health the other day was awful enough! At least it encouraging that your cats are getting 19-21 good years. That means I've got Lily for quite a while longer. I'm sorry that you both have older cats though. Poor kitties! I both they go peacefully in their sleep. I know you have both given them long, happy and healthy lives.

• Like 2

Awesome! I'll put you on the interest list so I know who to get in touch with!

You two are making me sad. :( Its so hard to watch pets get old because they're really part of the family. I have a hard time thinking about Lily getting old. Having that scare about her health the other day was awful enough! At least it encouraging that your cats are getting 19-21 good years. That means I've got Lily for quite a while longer. I'm sorry that you both have older cats though. Poor kitties! I both they go peacefully in their sleep. I know you have both given them long, happy and healthy lives.

It is truly sad when they pass. I always try to look on the bright side though. They lived a very long healthy life, and they were loved deeply by our family. I cannot think of a better life than the ones our kitties have. Don't worry, you still have many long years to love and cuddle with your furry family member! :happy:

• Like 1

It is truly sad when they pass. I always try to look on the bright side though. They lived a very long healthy life, and they were loved deeply by our family. I cannot think of a better life than the ones our kitties have. Don't worry, you still have many long years to love and cuddle with your furry family member! :happy:

That's a good way to look at it! Its crazy how fast time flies though. Seems like just yesterday that Lily was a tiny kitten.

40240_10100485049134461_835927_n.jpg

45429_10100492884931461_4022049_n.jpg

45597_10100492885200921_4621796_n.jpg

60062_10100530201897961_4789811_n.jpg

• Like 9

Id love a purple sponge, that looks pretty awesome. Never had a sponge before, but they look cool and i :wub: the purple. I couldn't do overnight, but 2 day will probably make it affordable :)

• Like 1

This is a phenomenal picture Felicia :), Lily is quite the photogenic one.

Thank you! The lighting was fun for that photo and I did some post processing to make it look really cool. She's quite photogenic and loves to have her picture taken :)

Lily is adorable!! :wub:

She is and she knows it! :lol: She definitely uses that fact to her advantage!

Id love a purple sponge, that looks pretty awesome. Never had a sponge before, but they look cool and i :wub: the purple. I couldn't do overnight, but 2 day will probably make it affordable :)

Great! I'll add you to the interest list! These can definitely go 2-day, so I think that's how I'll send all of them. Paying for overnight seems silly for one sponge frag. I'm going to try to figure out some small boxes so that shipping will be around $10 or less. Gotta look into that!

Dibs on a sponge!

Awesome. I'll add you to the interest list.

• Like 2
Polarcollision

Sorry to hear about the Lily scare. Namara is long haired like her and lost 4 lbs with a bad hair ball. Lots of expensive vet visits (and almost getting banned when she turned into a banshee), she's recovered back to her 16lb. The vet gave that same sticky fish flavored gel garbage that just ends up everywhere but in the cat's tummy. I swear it's a good alternative if you ever run out of glue--forget brushing the cat after it's dried in their fur. BUT. Good news! Greenies hairball treats are filled with the same hairball remedy ingredient. Sooooo much nicer to have the cats begging for their medicine that flinging it everywhere. I also found that switching her food completely stopped all throwing up hairballs. She's on this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007M0JLEM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00for dry and friskies low carb for wet food. Hope that helps!

• Like 1

She has the prettiest eyes Felicia. She's got the whole package for a beautiful cat.

I'll let her know she has an admirer :D

I'd love to be on the list for a sponge, it's very pretty.

I'll put you on the list. Looks like I might need to make some more frags! I just need to look into the best way to ship now.

Ha! Felicia, you get to decide if we're sponge worthy! HAHA AHAH. :o:P

:lol::lol::lol:

Lily is such a beautiful kitty! This picture is amazing btw!

Thank you, Christina! That means a lot coming from you with your crazy photography skills!

Sorry to hear about the Lily scare. Namara is long haired like her and lost 4 lbs with a bad hair ball. Lots of expensive vet visits (and almost getting banned when she turned into a banshee), she's recovered back to her 16lb. The vet gave that same sticky fish flavored gel garbage that just ends up everywhere but in the cat's tummy. I swear it's a good alternative if you ever run out of glue--forget brushing the cat after it's dried in their fur. BUT. Good news! Greenies hairball treats are filled with the same hairball remedy ingredient. Sooooo much nicer to have the cats begging for their medicine that flinging it everywhere. I also found that switching her food completely stopped all throwing up hairballs. She's on this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007M0JLEM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00for dry and friskies low carb for wet food. Hope that helps!

Oh wow! Poor kitty! Luckily Lily hasn't lost any weight as a result. Seriously, the hairball paste is the worst. Merthynia's suggestion of smearing it on her upper lip actually worked really well though, so I think I have the hang of this. I also am keeping it in the fridge now to make it less runny. That definitely helps!

Weirdly, Lily has been eating Greenies her whole life. She gets some with every single meal. She's also on Science Diet hairball control wet and dry food. Since she's already on a hairball control diet and treats, that was why the vet suggested the paste. Hopefully that will help her a bit and I'm glad I have it more worked out now so that my house doesn't get coated in goo. You guys are so awesome with all your helpful advice! :)

I made some yummy food for my predators! I wanted them to get a more varied diet, so I went to the local fish market and picked up salmon, scallops, prawns, and squid. I then chopped it all up into appropriately sized chunks and then mixed it all together. Then I put portions into ice cube trays to keep them as separate clumps while they freeze. I just didn't want it to turn into one big block of food. Once the food freezes, I'll place all the clumps into ziploc bags and this way I can easily pull out a clump to thaw for feeding. Here are some photos! I have some spoiled fish. I was really tempted to eat the food the whole time I was cutting it up. That was some yummy looking sashimi grade salmon! Only $10 for all this, so not too bad.

IMG_9748_1.jpg

IMG_9755.jpg

IMG_9760.jpg

Also, I had my first predator inflicted injury tonight. And no, I didn't get stung by a lionfish luckily! I was feeding the fish and I had the tongs in my right hand and had my left hand resting on the rim of the tank. I was paying attention to Draco who I was trying to feed and suddenly the eel lunged out of the water and latched onto my left hand that was resting on the rim of the tank. He the nailbed on one of my fingers good enough to cause it to bleed. Luckily once I got it cleaned up, its not worse than a hang nail. It really didn't hurt either, just surprised me. I yelled and pulled my hand back so fast that I dragged the eel most of the way out of the water before he let go of my finger. Guess I'll have to be more careful with him! Such a brat! :lol:

• Like 6

Hey guys! So I just want to check on interest in buying frags of my blue plating photosynthetic sponge (collospongia auris). I have 5+ frags right now in varying sizes and will probably have even more soon because my colony has really taken off. You can see my mother colony in this photo:

IMG_8872.jpg

Glad the cat is ok, nice sponge, but I see some nice coloration on those SPS! :)

• Like 1

Also, I had my first predator inflicted injury tonight. And no, I didn't get stung by a lionfish luckily! I was feeding the fish and I had the tongs in my right hand and had my left hand resting on the rim of the tank. I was paying attention to Draco who I was trying to feed and suddenly the eel lunged out of the water and latched onto my left hand that was resting on the rim of the tank. He the nailbed on one of my fingers good enough to cause it to bleed. Luckily once I got it cleaned up, its not worse than a hang nail. It really didn't hurt either, just surprised me. I yelled and pulled my hand back so fast that I dragged the eel most of the way out of the water before he let go of my finger. Guess I'll have to be more careful with him! Such a brat! :lol:

Oh HELL NO!!!! LOL...whatever you do...DO NOT TELL YOUR MOM!!!!! :lol:

That seafood looks amazing...lucky fish :).

• Like 2

Glad the cat is ok, nice sponge, but I see some nice coloration on those SPS! :)

Considering how picky you are about SPS coloration, that's quite the compliment! Thank you! Some of them are still a bit browned, but they're getting there! :)

Oh HELL NO!!!! LOL...whatever you do...DO NOT TELL YOUR MOM!!!!! :lol:

That seafood looks amazing...lucky fish :).

Haha! Yeah probably not going to mention that one. Weirdly, I still really like Falkor. Just have to pay more attention to where my hands are now.

I wanted to eat all the seafood the entire time I was cutting it up! Luckily I picked up some yummy sashimi for myself when I got the seafood so that I wouldn't eat all the fish food :lol:

Oh geez, that just sounds scary with what happened with the eel. Glad you're ok.

I would have shrieked!

Spoiled fish indeed :). That would have scared the heck out of me Felicia! I can't imagine an eel latching onto my hand lol.

Haha! It honestly just startled me more than anything. Luckily Falkor has a tiny mouth and tiny teeth so he can't do any damage. Didn't even really hurt! I'm just so glad it wasn't a lionfish sting. I'll keep a better eye on my hands and Falkor from now on!

Ok, so for everyone interested in a sponge, I just ordered packing supplies and figured out shipping prices. Shipping will be $10 and will be priority 2-day mail with USPS. These sponges are super hardy, so they'll do great with 2-day. My plan is to put each sponge in a sealed specimen container (inside a sealed plastic bag) and then drop that into an insulated/padded envelope. I'll wrap them really good in bubble wrap for extra padding and insulation. Should work well and this way it keeps shipping cost low. I'll plan on shipping out maybe next Tuesday and Wednesday (since Monday is a holiday). In the next couple days I'll finalize what frags I have available and post photos with prices so people can make their orders and paypal me. Then I'll ship them all out over 1-2 days. Let me know if that sounds like a good plan!

• Like 3
jedimasterben

I love that species of sponge, but mine is constantly dying back and then growing great, dying back then growing great. Never seems content. I don't see any of it left, so I may hit you up for a piece if you have any left. Too lazy to look a few posts up :lol:

• Like 1

Looking at your fish food pics made me hungry :o

I'm glad your finger is ok :) I've been bitten by smaller snowflake eels, and it hurt a little, but never drew blood

Seriously! I love sashimi, so high grade raw seafood makes me so hungry! I re-packaged the cubes into individual small plastic bags and then they're inside of a big gallon freezer bag. Didn't want to just put them all in one bag because as it gets opened over time, the food gets freezer burned.

Yep, my finger is just fine. You can barely see where he bit me. I'm honestly really surprised it bled, but I think its because he got me right at the nail bed and that area seems to bleed easy (like when you have a hang nail).

I love that species of sponge, but mine is constantly dying back and then growing great, dying back then growing great. Never seems content. I don't see any of it left, so I may hit you up for a piece if you have any left. Too lazy to look a few posts up :lol:

Odd! I've had mine slow down and stop growing when it wasn't in ideal conditions, but I've never had it die off. Just stick it in some higher light and flow and I bet it will be happy. I'm doing a water change and will be fragging a bit more off the sponge tonight. I should hopefully have like 9 $15 frags and 2 smaller $10 frags. Right now I've got 8 people interested, so there should definitely be one for you if you want one. :)