Top Shelf Aquatics

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

Someday I hope my picos are half as nice as this one! :lol:

Aw, thanks :rolleyes:

Aww.... Hello little snail!!

I thought he was really cute. It was like he was photobombing the acans :)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My zoas are still struggling :(

I checked the water parameters this afternoon:

Temp: 79

SG: 1.025

Nitrates: 3

Phosphate: 0 (using the low range Hanna checker)

Ca: 425

Ka: 7.56

Mag: 1260

I don't see anything really bad here, although I'm a little concerned about no detectable phosphate levels. The Nitrates are usually around 4 or 5 so I think that's OK.

I'm about due to change the carbon and GFO. I'm thinking about leaving the GFO out this time, and monitoring the phosphate levels to see what happens.

Everything other than the zoas is doing great. SPS, acans, duncans, rics, hammer, GSP, are all growing and looking nice and puffy/extended. So I'm a little puzzled.

When I did the water change tonight, I put a few drops of hydrogen peroxide on the zoas and let it sit for about a minute before refilling the water. We'll see how they do over the next day or so. Stupid zoas, I really don't know why they are considered "beginner" corals :rant:

The acans looked really puffy the other day, so even though I just posted close ups of them recently, I thought it was nice to see how they're all growing together now. You can also see some of the unhappy zoas. Some are closed up after getting trampled by the sexy shrimp, but most of them stay the way they are in the picture all the time.

18865524063_0bc5c5ed26_b.jpgAcans with Unhappy Zoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Zoas remain unhappy. But after doing peroxide they may need another day or two to recover. The same pattern seems to be going on, though...mostly open for a few hours after the lights come on, then closing up and looking worse as the day goes on. Here's an FST just to show what they look like now :(

19513132921_970cde9234_b.jpgCAD Lights 4G FTS - 7July 2015 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

On the bright side, nearly every other coral in the tank seems to be growing and maintaining nice color. I'm really excited that the red millepora finally decided to do more than just encrust the rock. There's definitely a second stalk coming up now, with signs that there might be more to come :happydance:

19509342985_3044148552_b.jpgRed Mille by TeenyReef, on Flickr

And the green birdsnest has gotten thicker and bigger. The rainbow monti in the background is making a nice recovery from getting covered up by the idaho grape monticap, too.

18886862654_dafbf3ddae_b.jpgGreen Birdsnest by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Zoas remain unhappy. But after doing peroxide they may need another day or two to recover. The same pattern seems to be going on, though...mostly open for a few hours after the lights come on, then closing up and looking worse as the day goes on. Here's an FST just to show what they look like now :(

19513132921_970cde9234_b.jpgCAD Lights 4G FTS - 7July 2015 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I've had the same problems with my zoas on and off for months now. just the nature of the little beasts i guess.

Thanks, Stella! I need to catch up on your tank threads - love the avatar for the new tank :wub:

HA! thanks! FlowerMama came up with the name. i just put a photo to the name :)

My zoas are still struggling :(

I checked the water parameters this afternoon:

Temp: 79

SG: 1.025

Nitrates: 3

Phosphate: 0 (using the low range Hanna checker)

Ca: 425

Ka: 7.56

Mag: 1260

I don't see anything really bad here, although I'm a little concerned about no detectable phosphate levels. The Nitrates are usually around 4 or 5 so I think that's OK.

I'm about due to change the carbon and GFO. I'm thinking about leaving the GFO out this time, and monitoring the phosphate levels to see what happens.

Everything other than the zoas is doing great. SPS, acans, duncans, rics, hammer, GSP, are all growing and looking nice and puffy/extended. So I'm a little puzzled.

When I did the water change tonight, I put a few drops of hydrogen peroxide on the zoas and let it sit for about a minute before refilling the water. We'll see how they do over the next day or so. Stupid zoas, I really don't know why they are considered "beginner" corals :rant:

I do not have great luck with zoas myself. The "no names" which I actually like are doing well, but the few fancy ones I've gotten just have not done well. Everything else, like you mention, is doing well. But the zoas (and xenia), not so great.

The acans looked really puffy the other day, so even though I just posted close ups of them recently, I thought it was nice to see how they're all growing together now. You can also see some of the unhappy zoas. Some are closed up after getting trampled by the sexy shrimp, but most of them stay the way they are in the picture all the time.

18865524063_0bc5c5ed26_b.jpgAcans with Unhappy Zoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

LOVE this photo! Actually, all your photos. You take the best shots!

FlowerMama

HA! thanks! FlowerMama came up with the name. i just put a photo to the name :)

Ok, so now stellablue you need to help me name my Bare Bottom Baby tank! Your turn!

I'm out of town for one night, which makes me nervous when the zoas have been looking bad. Hopefully I won't come back find them all melted. Not that there's much I could do if I was at home, but at least I'd be able to maybe try putting a few frags in the frag tank to see if they do better there.

But who knows, maybe I'll come home to a miraculous recovery fingerscrossed

so pretty! jealous of your green banded goby!! :)

Thanks! I really need to name them. GBG #1 and GBG #2 just don't really sound very personal. On the other hand, every GBG I have named died afterwards. Not that I'm superstitious or anything :unsure:

It's still pretty, even if the zoas are being stubborn. I love that green bird! It glows!

Thanks - it's one of my favorites. Much more of a "beginner" coral than zoas :D

The tank looks great teeny. Sorry the zoas are acting up. I hope they turn around for ya. I love the colors zoas bring to a tank but their finicky nature frustrates me, so much so that I have not even tried any in years.

natalia_la_loca

Sorry to see this happening with your zoas :( but everything else looks fantastic. I imagine leaving out the GFO might help (I never use it on either of my tanks), and daily small particle feeding should benefit everything in there. I hope they get better!

It does otherwise look fantastic! I see your miami vice are open :). Hopefully they get over whatever is bothering them right now. Maybe they go through a shedding period? I had some that would regularly do that in my cube. It's annoying when it happens but they end up opening up beautifully in a few days. I hope that's all it is :).

That's a great idea, Kat. I will check as soon as possible. When I got back from my trip, they weren't any worse, and a few colonies seemed a little better. But the longer they sit under the lights, the more they seem to close up.

Hmmm...no sign of nudibranchs. But there are some white spots on the outside of the zoas - eggs maybe? And there are also weird bulges on the inside of some. I'm guessing the problem may be zoa pox?

I've got some Furan 2 but it's going to be hard to dip these guys because I'd have to dip several entire rocks...probably about half the rocks in the tank.

Here are some pictures that I took after dark so that I could see what was going on a little more clearly. Hopefully somebody will spot something I can fix :)

19380263850_ed065fb624_b.jpgZoa Pox? by TeenyReef, on Flickr

19572498561_edb12c5a8e_b.jpgSad Zoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

19572496991_67b00be829_b.jpgMore Sad Zoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

It does otherwise look fantastic! I see your miami vice are open :). Hopefully they get over whatever is bothering them right now. Maybe they go through a shedding period? I had some that would regularly do that in my cube. It's annoying when it happens but they end up opening up beautifully in a few days. I hope that's all it is :).

Yes, the miami vice seem to be doing fine. They are on a different rock from any of the other zoas, which is more evidence that whatever is wrong has more to do with something spreading from colony to colony, instead of a water or feeding problem.

The tank looks great teeny. Sorry the zoas are acting up. I hope they turn around for ya. I love the colors zoas bring to a tank but their finicky nature frustrates me, so much so that I have not even tried any in years.

Yeah, I love zoas and I've bought a ton of them, but it's gotten very frustrating!

White spots= Zoa Pox?

Ive heard of it but don't know if thats what it looks like or not

Yeah, that's the real question, isn't it? I thought zoa pox was white spots inside the zoa skin, though.

Here's a close up of the same colony from last night. All the tiny white spots that were on the stalks last night seem to be gone now.

19395472190_29041777d8_b.jpg20150710_140543.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Yeah, that's the real question, isn't it? I thought zoa pox was white spots inside the zoa skin, though.

Here's a close up of the same colony from last night. All the tiny white spots that were on the stalks last night seem to be gone now.

19395472190_29041777d8_b.jpg20150710_140543.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

The bulges to me just look like the zoas trying to mat out for new growth. But take this for what it is worth - coming from someone with little to no experience :)

The bulges to me just look like the zoas trying to mat out for new growth. But take this for what it is worth - coming from someone with little to no experience :)

Yeah, that's what I was hoping too, although I don't know if they ever mat out that high. But I'm less familiar with the long skinny ones like these.

i will be interested to know why some zoas have long skinny stalks vs more flat zoas. i like the flat ones...

Yeah, I wish I knew! I always assumed it was not enough light, but these guys are near the top, and lots of other zoas that are lower are not reaching.

On the other hand, my rastas were short and flat when they arrived. Since coming to live in my tank, they've gotten long and skinny.

I'm thinking about increasing the lighting, but very slowly, and only after I figure out what's bothering them to begin with.

Archived