Pod Your Reef

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

Well thanks. My wife saw me looking at this thread now she wants a tank like yours....

:lol: It's so little you could easily start one while you work on your other one!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like those gobies. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! Hopefully your tank will mature soon so you can try one too fingerscrossed

I think that shot of the goby is too cute!

Thanks! They make taking pictures easy since they're so photogenic :)

New page, new pictures! I got some better shots of some of the new zoas tonight.

These are the Morphologics Vice zoas from Aquascapers. I really love the deep blue on these guys :) The sexy shrimp is hanging around but wasn't actually messing with the polyp itself.

17116036976_8b3aa0ffd7_b.jpgMorphologics Vice Zoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Here are the other new zoas, Morning Glory zoas, also from Aquascapers. Also in this picture are (left to right):

Generic blue zoas from KP Aquatics

Tyree Rastas (Legendary Corals)

Eagle Eyes from the LFS

Nightwalkers (Legendary)

Bam Bams (from a different LFS)

Searchlights (Aquascapers)

The bam bams are really big compared to the ones that melted away last month, but the color is great!

17140409722_0f20a3697b_b.jpgMorning Glory Zoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Ooooooooh! I was eyeing those Morning Glories but never pulled the trigger. Aquascapers has such nice stuff. Brave soul detaching them from the frag plugs :lol:. I've done it a few times, sometimes successfully & sometimes not so much. :rolleyes:

Ooooooooh! I was eyeing those Morning Glories but never pulled the trigger. Aquascapers has such nice stuff. Brave soul detaching them from the frag plugs :lol:. I've done it a few times, sometimes successfully & sometimes not so much. :rolleyes:

I added them after placing my initial order, and I'm really glad I did. They color really pops in real life, and you don't need super intense blue lighting to make them look good :)

I've just got caught up. Whew. So awesome!!! Can't wait to order my nanobox!

Thanks! You're going to love the nanobox :)

The color you get is something else!

Thanks! I'm slowly learning that less is more with the Nanobox :)

Awesome zoas! I have been looking all over for those vice morphs locally and I can never find them:(

Thanks! I get them online from Aquascapers. Ordered them at 1 PM on Thursday and they rang the doorbell at my house at 10:30 the next day :)

Thanks, everybody! I have no idea how to frag that monti since he's encrusting a big rock that I wouldn't want to break up. But if I figure it out I'll let you know :)

I'll work on a new fts later this month. I'd like to see the zoas recover a little bit first.

My first pom pom was ordered months ago, before they got bought out. I've heard of other suppliers refusing to offer a refund or exchange for no pom poms, saying that since the crab itself was alive, they didn't owe anything. So I think Live Aquaria did the right thing. They offered either a credit or a refund, no questions asked.

This is the first time I've ordered from them since they got bought out. We'll see if they keep up the good service and quality.

Yeah, I know. For some reason in this tank, zoas have been the most challenging corals for me. Nearly every other coral in the tank keeps on going strong, it's always the zoas that get messed up any time anything goes wrong. So much for them being "beginner corals" :)

I know this post was a few months ago (I didn't realize how behind I was in this thread), but I gotta agree! My Zoas are a challenge. Duncan and shrooms are thriving, SPS are somewhat intermediate. Some doing well, some not so well. But I accept that, since SPS are thought to be challenging. (I have a similar problem in my FW planted tank - can't grow the "easy" plants, but the more challenging ones are thriving.)

New page, new pictures! I got some better shots of some of the new zoas tonight.

These are the Morphologics Vice zoas from Aquascapers. I really love the deep blue on these guys :) The sexy shrimp is hanging around but wasn't actually messing with the polyp itself.

17116036976_8b3aa0ffd7_b.jpgMorphologics Vice Zoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Here are the other new zoas, Morning Glory zoas, also from Aquascapers. Also in this picture are (left to right):

Generic blue zoas from KP Aquatics

Tyree Rastas (Legendary Corals)

Eagle Eyes from the LFS

Nightwalkers (Legendary)

Bam Bams (from a different LFS)

Searchlights (Aquascapers)

The bam bams are really big compared to the ones that melted away last month, but the color is great!

17140409722_0f20a3697b_b.jpgMorning Glory Zoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Whew! Finally got caught up on your thread, teeny! Not sure what happened (probably life just getting in the way), but i hadn't read a post since December! So, the tank is looking awesome, and you have motivated me to:

1) get back into small (1-2 gallon) twice weekly water changes with sandblasting with a turkey blaster first

2) track down some GBG ASAP! (They MUST be my next fish, but it will be a challenge here in Toronto)

3) start replacing my melted Zoas with new stock - I had been just waiting, watching, to see what thrived, but, man, your new Zoas look good. I'm especially taken with the morning glories (I really love the green and blue corals).

Maybe I will have to drive the 2 hours to the London Frag Show tomorrow after all...

Just wanted to let you guys know I'm still here - my wife had back surgery late last week. She's doing well but things have been a little busy. I promise to catch up soon!

Just wanted to let you guys know I'm still here - my wife had back surgery late last week. She's doing well but things have been a little busy. I promise to catch up soon!

I'm sure you are taking great care of her :flower:.

All the best to your wife! that does NOT sound like fun at all.

Hope your wife has a fast recovery! :flower:

• 3 weeks later...
teenyreef

Hi everyone, I'm back! Turns out recovering from back surgery is a long and painful process - who knew? :huh:

Seriously, though, thanks for all your well wishes! My wife is doing well and her recovery is right on plan. It's been three weeks and she can drive now, and do some basic stuff around the house, so I've been able to get a little free time to catch up on optional activities like sleeping and taking care of fish and corals :)

My zoa curse has continued in this tank - the Morning Glories and the Searchlight zoas melted away in about four days, for no apparent reason at all about a week ago. I could see some of the big copepods swarming around them, but it's impossible to say if they were just eating the dead and dying tissue, or if they were the cause of the problem to begin with.

I haven't been able to keep up with the tank as frequently and thoroughly as I normally do, so it's been kind of like dealing with the tank after going on vacation. Everything else is still alive but not really thriving. I just finished a big water change and a complete spring cleaning. I drained the water from the back chambers and pulled everything out and cleaned the pump, heater, and skimmer. I changed the filter floss, carbon, and GFO, and pulled out some of the rocks to get rid of more vermetid worms.

I've got one acan that receded the other day, again, for no apparent reason, but the remaining tissue is good, and he ate some brine shrimp last night, so he should recover OK.

Finally, I lost one of the green banded gobies a few days ago. I hoped he was in the back chamber, but when I pulled everything out today, there was no sign of him. I think the receding acan might have been due to decomposing goby :(

On the positive side, the tank is nice and clean now, and there's room for new zoas. I may go out to the LFS this weekend and see what they have, and I also have a few more Morning Glories in the frag tank that I could bring back into this tank once I'm sure that everything else is stable again.

natalia_la_loca

Sorry to hear about the loss of the zoas and GBGS, but thrilled that your wife is recovering nicely! I look forward to seeing what else you add.

Archived