Top Shelf Aquatics

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

Waiamea Canyon is such a beautiful place, all of Hawaii is. I am going to Maui next month wish my tank good luck!

Good luck fingerscrossed I've been to Hawaii, Oahu, and Kauai but never Maui. I've heard it's awesome!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Good luck fingerscrossed I've been to Hawaii, Oahu, and Kauai but never Maui. I've heard it's awesome!

I went to Hawaii two years ago (I go to a different island every other year) but I haven't been to Maui in at least ten year.

clapsalute.gif

:lol:

Congrats teeny!!!

:haha:

Thanks, Kimberbee! I can't wait for Tank #2! And I still want a frag of the blue MS Paint coral :)

Best photo of a pom pom crab EVER :D.

Super excited for you!!!! Congratulations on this so deserving honor. And thank you for the shout-out in your tank profile write-up :flower:

Thanks, Gena! Your tanks inspire everybody :)

Ironically, I haven't seen either of those silly pom pom crabs in two weeks now. But that's not unusual. They make my rusty goby look like an extrovert ;)

congrats buddy!

Thanks! It's been a fun journey!

Grats kid on the TOTM win. I can call you kid because you're 5 months younger than me. :lol:

Really though, the writeup was great, and I'm envious of the talent it takes to keep these small tanks healthy. Great job!

Thanks, old man :lol:

Btw, I've started doing a 50/50 mix of the Red Sea BB and the Instant Ocean RC, and it's mixing up right at 8.5 for me. I throw in a little more magnesium to get it up to 1300 and it seems to be right on target. Hopefully it will stay consistent fingerscrossed

Thanks, old man :lol:

Btw, I've started doing a 50/50 mix of the Red Sea BB and the Instant Ocean RC, and it's mixing up right at 8.5 for me. I throw in a little more magnesium to get it up to 1300 and it seems to be right on target. Hopefully it will stay consistent fingerscrossed

Good news about the salt. I'm not as disciplined so for me it's pour in some RSBB, then some RC, then test, then adjust. My last concoction was right about 9KH. :) I bought 3 small buckets off Amazon so my goal is about 1/4 BB to 3/4 RC.

Awesome trip photos!

Good news about the salt. I'm not as disciplined so for me it's pour in some RSBB, then some RC, then test, then adjust. My last concoction was right about 9KH. :) I bought 3 small buckets off Amazon so my goal is about 1/4 BB to 3/4 RC.

Awesome trip photos!

Over time I've figured out exactly how much water to put in the 5g bucket, so I just add two level cups of RSBB and two heaping cups of RC, and it comes out within a point or two of 1.025 every time. I'd be lost without the little line I made on the bucket :unsure:

congrats on TOTM!

Thank you! And thanks for keeping me up to date on your zoa problems. It always helps to share notes.

Grats teeny, keep up the good work and please continue to give us something to aim for. B)

I'm loving the progress you're making on your tank. Good luck with studying!

YAY teeny!! so well deserved, john. :D

:happydance:

Thanks, Cindy! My pico dendro says "hi" to your big flamboyant dendro :D

omgomgomg TOTM! Grats Teeny.

Thanks Jaime! And thanks for all your comments and feedback :)

Simply exquisite!

Good luck with your new tank, and thanks for the inspiration credit in your new tank thread. You need to post an update :lol:

Things have been a little crazy lately, between trying to catch up at work, at home, and on NR :) Plus catching up on coral shipments - one from Legendary yesterday and one from Zia today. Plus I got five green banded gobies from the Ebay seller yesterday omgomgomg

You can see four out of five in this picture (my old Evolve 4g is serving as the quarantine tank). I think I'll put two in this tank and the other three in the 10g tank.

16582120037_fa460b2f0d_b.jpgNew Gobies by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Things have been a little crazy lately, between trying to catch up at work, at home, and on NR :) Plus catching up on coral shipments - one from Legendary yesterday and one from Zia today. Plus I got five green banded gobies from the Ebay seller yesterday omgomgomg

You can see four out of five in this picture (my old Evolve 4g is serving as the quarantine tank). I think I'll put two in this tank and the other three in the 10g tank.

16582120037_fa460b2f0d_b.jpgNew Gobies by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Oh snap! B)

All five GBG's are still doing well in their quarantine tank.

I think my tank is experiencing a post-TOTM party hangover :lol: For the past two weeks I've had a lot of diatoms, I've completely lost the flame skirt zoas, the bam bam zoas are almost completely melted, and the eagle eyes are now showing some signs of stress.

I moved the bam bams to the 10g tank, and like the other zoas I transferred last week, it seems that their troubles stopped immediately. So there's clearly something in or about this tank that is killing zoas now.

Although I've had some diatoms, I think that's related more to the rock swap I did last month as the new rock matures.

One thing I have noticed is some truly huge pods crawling around at night. Some of them are almost half the size of the sexy shrimp :wacko: And after I dipped the bam bam zoas, I noticed that they were swarming all over the bam bams. I don't know if they were just harvesting dead bits of zoa or if they were actually the cause of the problem. Maybe they tend to concentrate on whichever zoas are the weakest and leave the rest alone?

So I need to figure out a way to reduce my big pod population. I know from experience that the little gobies I have won't touch them. This tank is way too small for a six line, but I wonder if I got one just for a week if it would work? I hate the idea of fish rentals but I'm getting desperate :(

I also read in another thread where someone got freshwater mollies, acclimated them to SW, and then they ate all the pods. I could do that because they're small, and I could move them into my freshwater tank afterwards. Does anybody have an opinion?

Sk8n Reefer

I think my tank is experiencing a post-TOTM party hangover :lol: For the past two weeks I've had a lot of diatoms, I've completely lost the flame skirt zoas, the bam bam zoas are almost completely melted, and the eagle eyes are now showing some signs of stress.

I moved the bam bams to the 10g tank, and like the other zoas I transferred last week, it seems that their troubles stopped immediately. So there's clearly something in or about this tank that is killing zoas now.

Although I've had some diatoms, I think that's related more to the rock swap I did last month as the new rock matures.

One thing I have noticed is some truly huge pods crawling around at night. Some of them are almost half the size of the sexy shrimp :wacko: And after I dipped the bam bam zoas, I noticed that they were swarming all over the bam bams. I don't know if they were just harvesting dead bits of zoa or if they were actually the cause of the problem. Maybe they tend to concentrate on whichever zoas are the weakest and leave the rest alone?

So I need to figure out a way to reduce my big pod population. I know from experience that the little gobies I have won't touch them. This tank is way too small for a six line, but I wonder if I got one just for a week if it would work? I hate the idea of fish rentals but I'm getting desperate :(

I also read in another thread where someone got freshwater mollies, acclimated them to SW, and then they ate all the pods. I could do that because they're small, and I could move them into my freshwater tank afterwards. Does anybody have an opinion?

Didn't you leave your tank for awhile? That's probably what's going on - not your constant attention ?. Mollies would be cool- I've seen them in salt tanks- didn't know they ate pods! Ruby red? won't touch the big ones though. Fish rental- Ya I am sure a 6 line would love to visit ?

I'm not too worried about the diatoms. It's just from the new rock and from being gone a lot. They've always come and gone in this tank and I'm sure they'll go away in a few more weeks at most.

I'm really thinking about picking up a molly or two at the LFS this afternoon. It won't cost hardly anything, they're hardy so they probably won't die in the worst case, and I can always put them in the FW tank later.

In the meantime, I'm also thinking about fragging my duncans. They have gotten relatively huge in this tank, and have grown from two heads to about ten :)

16194217693_949e5d324c_b.jpg20150314-Big Duncans-008.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

if you're planning on selling those frags let me know, id be very interested in a head or two

Same.

jedimasterben

While mollies will eat basically anything that moves and fits in their mouths, they are still primarily herbivores and not active hunters like a wrasse would be.

the amphipods got monstrous like from the

movie aliens in my 3g. i really hated them because

they'd literally steal the pellets i'd feed to my

sexy shrimps--and yes, were catching up to

them in size. i really enjoyed murdering them

when i swapped over to the 8g. there are a few

in my 8g alas, but not overrun like my 3g.

good luck!

i posted here, i think, but nothing could work for

the size tank i had as far as predators.

What about putting Fitzgerald in here for pod duty then putting him back in the 10 when he's done? Tug can fit some deceivingly large pieces of food in his mouth.

TOTM curse? To be honest, when I was writing my TOTM article, I looked back to previous TOTM and can't help but notice a lot of them been inactive =(. We have to keep ours going strong for a long time to break the curse =P.

I hate large pods. I had them in the beginning and forgot what got rid of them. Not sure if it was the Springer's Damsel or not. I also tried manually stabbing them with a wooden BBQ skewer. It was like Karate Kid chopstick + flies. I gave up after a few nights...haha.

While mollies will eat basically anything that moves and fits in their mouths, they are still primarily herbivores and not active hunters like a wrasse would be.

Thanks, Ben, that's kind of what I suspected. I was surprised to see somebody post that mollies ate all the pods. On the other hand, it might be worth a try given that mollies are usually on sale for about $1 each.

the amphipods got monstrous like from the

movie aliens in my 3g. i really hated them because

they'd literally steal the pellets i'd feed to my

sexy shrimps--and yes, were catching up to

them in size. i really enjoyed murdering them

when i swapped over to the 8g. there are a few

in my 8g alas, but not overrun like my 3g.

good luck!

i posted here, i think, but nothing could work for

the size tank i had as far as predators.

Yes! That's what mine do too - any loose pellets in the tank belong to the pods, and they will take them right out of the corals.

What about putting Fitzgerald in here for pod duty then putting him back in the 10 when he's done? Tug can fit some deceivingly large pieces of food in his mouth.

I think that's the best idea so far! The showstopper for me is figuring out how to get Fitzgerald out of the 10g tank without taking the whole thing apart. He loves to hang out in the cave under the rocks and rarely comes out into the open water.

On the other hand, I've never seen Fitzgerald eat anything larger than a brine shrimp, so he'd probably be scared of my monsterpods :lol:

TOTM curse? To be honest, when I was writing my TOTM article, I looked back to previous TOTM and can't help but notice a lot of them been inactive =(. We have to keep ours going strong for a long time to break the curse =P.

I hate large pods. I had them in the beginning and forgot what got rid of them. Not sure if it was the Springer's Damsel or not. I also tried manually stabbing them with a wooden BBQ skewer. It was like Karate Kid chopstick + flies. I gave up after a few nights...haha.

Yeah, I noticed that too :unsure:

My pods are fast. It really would be like catching flies with chopsticks :lol:

Teeny can you post your eBay seller for the green gobies?

http://www.ebay.com/usr/caribbean_fish_collectors?_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2754

He seems to get them every couple weeks or so.

skyscraper2290

Hope you can figure out your monster pod issue, I have a bunch in my tank now and am really hoping my new six line can get to work on the population real fast because I think they have also been bugging my zoas

Archived