Coral Vue Hydros

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

Tank looks Great! Its got so much going on I love how full it is.. What type of camera are you using?

Thanks! Once things get stable in a tank, it's hard to resist just adding one (or two) more corals every so often :)

I'm using an old Nikon D60. The fish pictures are mostly taken with the kit lens and builtin flash. The coral and FTS shots are mostly taken with a Tamron 90mm macro, which is the best photography investment I've ever made. Found used but like new on Ebay for under $300 :wub:

i dont know if ive said this before about this tank but its......

BEESknees_lo.jpg

Awwww, thanks! :blush:

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need to get a macro lens but I'm switching over to Nikon from canon at the end of the month so it'll have to wait unfortunately. These detail shots are a necessity!

San Diego...lovely. Yuma...not so much. Although it's been many years since I was through there...maybe it's changed.

Somehow I doubt that :).

I live in AZ and have been to Yuma many times over the last 50 yrs and all i can say is that if God owned Hell and Yuma, he'd live in Hell and rent out Yuma.

I used a right angle drill attachment and a step bit. A regular drill and drill bit doesn't really fit unless you drill the hole at an angle. Here's a picture:

16754769507_4c1019acd3_b.jpgRight Angle Drill Adapter with Step Bit by TeenyReef, on Flickr

For the L connector, I found some connectors in the lawn irrigation department at Home Depot, and I cut down the connector to remove the barbed portion. Bear in mind I have an upgraded pump and tubing, so 1/2" is what worked for me. Depending on your setup for the 8g you may need something different.

16754814837_7e0524dd72_b.jpgBarbed Elbows by TeenyReef, on Flickr

If i may ask, where did you get the right angle drill adapter and how much was it?

I live in AZ and have been to Yuma many times over the last 50 yrs and all i can say is that if God owned Hell and Yuma, he'd live in Hell and rent out Yuma.

If i may ask, where did you get the right angle drill adapter and how much was it?

:lol: It was fun seeing a "real" desert with Saguaros. And when I was there the weather was actually quite beautiful. But once is probably enough, and not when it's hot. But I did get some nice mexican food :D

I got the adaptor at Home Depot for $20: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milescraft-Drill-90-Right-Angle-Drill-Attachment-1390/100507163

Very inspiring thread. It led me to go out and get a sexy shrimp for my own 4G Cadlights. Unfortunately, the LFS only had one, so I'm waiting to add one or two more.

?--What is a "Magic Eraser", please?

I'm so glad you got a sexy shrimp, I'm sure you'll love it. And more will be even better :)

Magic eraser is the brand name for a scrubbing sponge made from melamine foam. You can find them at the grocery store. They're very good at cleaning without scratching. I only use them when I have to, though, since they break up into very tiny particles of melamine as you use them. Nobody really knows if this might hurt corals or fish, but lots of people use them regularly without any problems.

Looked at the photostream since I can't see individual pics from work. Man that green cap is GREEN! FTS looks great, glad to hear the little gobies are out of QT.

Thanks, Mark! You're talking about the one in the 10g tank, right? That's one of my favorite corals right now. All it does is grow into interesting shapes and get green. And I don't have to do anything to or for it :)

Thanks, Mark! You're talking about the one in the 10g tank, right? That's one of my favorite corals right now. All it does is grow into interesting shapes and get green. And I don't have to do anything to or for it :)

LOL, yea, I suppose I am. oops. :D

So I found the FTS of this tank. I swear if the Duncans weren't there I would think this was a much bigger tank. :) How long did it take to get the GBG's to pose like that in front?

ImAllBlurry

This tank is just fantastic. This one and your 10g have inspired me enough to get back into the hobby after over a decade away. Thanks, and keep posting.

So I found the FTS of this tank. I swear if the Duncans weren't there I would think this was a much bigger tank. :) How long did it take to get the GBG's to pose like that in front?

Thanks! And it makes the duncans look bigger than they really are :)

For whatever reason, the GBGs really like hanging out on the sand in the front of the tank. So I just took a bunch of shots until I got one where they both held still for the 1/2 second it took to expose the shot. It took about ten shots once I had the setup right :D

This tank is just fantastic. This one and your 10g have inspired me enough to get back into the hobby after over a decade away. Thanks, and keep posting.

Wow, thanks! Please let me know when you start a build thread so I can check it out :happydance:

love your happy gobies! it makes me miss mine,

the one i saw for maybe a few hours before

he disppeared forever. boo.

That was a very sad incident :( Having gone through three GBGs before the ones I have now (all jumpers) I definitely don't take their survival for granted. The real problem is that they all apparently have cell phones or tablets, because every time I talk about how well they are doing, they jump out. But just so you know...

They are all doing fine so far fingerscrossed

Bad news - good news. My green eyed dalmatian zoas have not been doing well. They were down to two polyps, and I thought the were coming back, but all of a sudden one of the polyps somehow disconnected himself from the frag plug. I saw him coming loose and before I could do anything about it he'd drifted away. The one remaining polyp was getting smaller and smaller, so I pulled the frag plug out, took him off the plug, and put him on a new one and put him in my new frag tank. I really hope he recovers because these are some of my favorite zoas.

All the rest of the zoas are doing fine, though fingerscrossed

In the meantime, I found some nice new Vice zoas at Aquascapers :) They came in today and once I made sure they had opened up OK, I spent some time gluing them up in the tank.

I also did something I've never done before - I actually removed all the zoas from their frag plugs and glued them directly to the rocks. It was a little nerve wracking trying to get them off without cutting them. I used an old, razor sharp chisel and kind of cut a thin layer of the plug material to get them off. I did this for the new frags as well as the newer frags that I put in a couple weeks ago. It seems to have gone well, and everything looks reasonable healthy so far. Hopefully they'll start to open up soon so I can tell for sure :scarry:

I don't have any pictures of the new frags in the tank since they're still closed up after coming off the plugs. But here are the wysiwyg pictures from Aquascapers:

16915791658_b0e83a0243_o.jpgMorphologics Vice Zoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

16481140734_1d0abc5d64_o.jpgMorning Glory Zoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

PS: got something new for the 10g tank too :ninja:

PPS: the gobies are still doing fine

Bad news - good news. My green eyed dalmatian zoas have not been doing well. They were down to two polyps, and I thought the were coming back, but all of a sudden one of the polyps somehow disconnected himself from the frag plug. I saw him coming loose and before I could do anything about it he'd drifted away. The one remaining polyp was getting smaller and smaller, so I pulled the frag plug out, took him off the plug, and put him on a new one and put him in my new frag tank. I really hope he recovers because these are some of my favorite zoas.

All the rest of the zoas are doing fine, though fingerscrossed

In the meantime, I found some nice new Vice zoas at Aquascapers :) They came in today and once I made sure they had opened up OK, I spent some time gluing them up in the tank.

I also did something I've never done before - I actually removed all the zoas from their frag plugs and glued them directly to the rocks. It was a little nerve wracking trying to get them off without cutting them. I used an old, razor sharp chisel and kind of cut a thin layer of the plug material to get them off. I did this for the new frags as well as the newer frags that I put in a couple weeks ago. It seems to have gone well, and everything looks reasonable healthy so far. Hopefully they'll start to open up soon so I can tell for sure :scarry:

I don't have any pictures of the new frags in the tank since they're still closed up after coming off the plugs. But here are the wysiwyg pictures from Aquascapers:

16915791658_b0e83a0243_o.jpgMorphologics Vice Zoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

16481140734_1d0abc5d64_o.jpgMorning Glory Zoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

PS: got something new for the 10g tank too :ninja:

PPS: the gobies are still doing fine

Those look awesome and I'm not mentioning the PPS but it makes me happy.

Those look awesome and I'm not mentioning the PPS but it makes me happy.

I bet your tank will look amazing without frag plugs. Well, actually your tank always looks amazing!

Thanks! They have all opened up but I haven't been able to get good pictures yet. I took some after the water change tonight but they didn't turn out well. Hopefully tomorrow.

In the meantime, I fed some spirulina enriched brine shrimp tonight. I've learned that if I target feed the yellow scroll coral and let the brine shrimp just barely touch the polyps, they will grab hold and eat the whole thing. The brine shrimp is about ten time the size of the polyp, but apparently my YSC really really likes brine shrimp :)

17128633322_69fa6e90d6_b.jpgYellow Scroll Coral Eating Brine Shrimp by TeenyReef, on Flickr

And here's a picture of one of the green banded gobies, in one of his rare moments sitting still :D

17128634722_2ce931b1c1_b.jpgGreen Banded Goby by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Archived