Pod Your Reef

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

Great tank, congrats on TOTM! I am taggin along I plan on buying the cadlights 8g Mini within the next few months and will most likely use your thread, along with many others, as my inspiration and guide.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hahha! oh john, good luck with that.

my ycg perches every which way ALL over

the tank and on anything and everything. well,

not the dendro or my balano. or likely they'd

try and eat him. :)

he does have a fave which is surfing on my

giant neon red mushroom. :D

they are funny fishies.

the tank is looking fantastic, as always!

The goby in my 29 is constantly humping the acros, so the solution is to add MORE. :) He never too a liking to the birdsnest but now I'm thinking this might be an awesome solution to be able to see the skin on the Bird of Paradise, if I can get him to try and perch on it. :D

porkchop-rob

Just wanted to stop by and congratulate you on the TOTM.

It really Is impressive!

Now, I apologize in advance because I have a new personal goal to "out pico aio" you with my nuvo 4 gallon! The standard has been set, the bar raised....Im up for a challenge! LOL

But really......well done!

It really Is impressive!

Now, I apologize in advance because I have a new personal goal to "out pico aio" you with my nuvo 4 gallon! The standard has been set, the bar raised....Im up for a challenge! LOL

Wow, that's a pretty lofty goal! Aim high, I suppose.

I had a really busy week at work since getting back out of town, and I'm just now coming back up for air.

Wow! Thank you for all your comments - I see I have some catching up to do :)

I did take a little time this week to pull the rocks out and crush a bunch more vermetid snails. I think these mostly came back from ones that were too small to see the last time I did it. I suspect I'll have to repeat the process a couple more times before they are back under control. My sand was pretty dirty in spite of all my attempts to keep it stirred up. I think there's just too much of it under the rocks where it doesn't get stirred up.

I also evicted Midnight earlier this week. My hopes for getting him to move off of the birdsnest didn't pan out and I was really worried about the birdsnest surviving all the love. Midnight's in the quarantine tank while the birdsnest recovers. Not sure what I'll do with him in the long run...

Hope Midnight stays put :lol: I think they hang out in acro colonies in the wild though, which is why they aren't recommended to be kept together unless you're willing to have your acro be cranky.

Yeah, he went right back to the birdsnest the next day. It's really funny, though, that he spend the first three weeks in the tank glued to the acros at the bottom of the tank. The minute I put the black mollies in, he explored the whole tank and moved to the birdsnest. I still think he was going through some perverted extra-species mating ritual B)

Great pictures !

Thanks! I need to take some new ones - I just realized it's almost April and I haven't taken hardly any since the beginning of the month.

Just went threw the whole thread and just have to say your doing a great job. Really enjoy the pictures to

Thanks! I'd love to check out your tank - do you have a build thread?

What a good fish :). Hopefully he stays put!!! Although I think branching SPS is their preferred pad....they really dig it :D.

Right as usual, Gena :lol:

Great tank, congrats on TOTM! I am taggin along I plan on buying the cadlights 8g Mini within the next few months and will most likely use your thread, along with many others, as my inspiration and guide.

Thanks, that's great news on your new tank - let me know when you get it started!

hahha! oh john, good luck with that.

my ycg perches every which way ALL over

the tank and on anything and everything. well,

not the dendro or my balano. or likely they'd

try and eat him. :)

he does have a fave which is surfing on my

giant neon red mushroom. :D

they are funny fishies.

the tank is looking fantastic, as always!

I need to know your secrets - how do you get your to spend time on more than one coral? I think mine is just lazy - he finds a coral he like and smothers it with love :unsure:

Sorry you couldn't get him to cooperate. Hope you find him a good home.

Thanks! I may try putting him back in after a few days, and see if he picks a different object for his affections :)

The goby in my 29 is constantly humping the acros, so the solution is to add MORE. He never too a liking to the birdsnest but now I'm thinking this might be an awesome solution to be able to see the skin on the Bird of Paradise, if I can get him to try and perch on it. :D

I never thought of coral humping as being a useful behavior in a tank, but that would be the perfect answer for you! I wish I had room to add more targets for Midnight, but maybe I can get him to pick something else after his vacation.

It really Is impressive!

Thanks! :blush:

Good luck with your Nuvo - have you started a build thread yet? We need more teeny tiny tanks :)

New page means new pics!

^^^

I'm afraid I haven't taken many pictures this month, between travel time and pissed off corals and melting zoas. But here's a picture of my bam bams before they melted. RIP bam bams...sniff sniff :tears:

16941121282_124fd334bc_b.jpgBam Bam Zoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

There are new ones coming, though :ninja:

Beautiful tank, teenyreef! I'm planning on getting a CADLights 8 gallon Mini soon. How exactly did you drill the higher return hole in the wall? What size bit did you use and what size is that L connector you used?

I used a right angle drill attachment and a step bit. A regular drill and drill bit doesn't really fit unless you drill the hole at an angle. Here's a picture:

16754769507_4c1019acd3_b.jpgRight Angle Drill Adapter with Step Bit by TeenyReef, on Flickr

For the L connector, I found some connectors in the lawn irrigation department at Home Depot, and I cut down the connector to remove the barbed portion. Bear in mind I have an upgraded pump and tubing, so 1/2" is what worked for me. Depending on your setup for the 8g you may need something different.

16754814837_7e0524dd72_b.jpgBarbed Elbows by TeenyReef, on Flickr

aww john, i wish i had a secret.

i think it comes down to personality--just like

cats. there are lap cats, and there are non lap

cats, etc.

i think it is the same with gobies. mine likes to

swim around and is shifting positions constantly.

No need to glue it. The adaptor for the Hydor Flo slip fits over the fitting and holds it tightly to the wall.

Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Thanks! :blush: Good luck with your Nuvo - have you started a build thread yet? We need more teeny tiny tanks :) I'm afraid I haven't taken many pictures this month, between travel time and pissed off corals and melting zoas. But here's a picture of my bam bams before they melted. RIP bam bams...sniff sniff :tears:16941121282_124fd334bc_b.jpgBam Bam Zoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr There are new ones coming, though :ninja:

R.I.P #neverforget

The corals have continued to act like they're not really happy over the last couple weeks. The zoas keep closing up and the acans haven't been their usual fluffy selves. Only the duncans have really been thriving.

So I went into berserker cleanup mode on the tank tonight. I pulled every rock out and crunched up even more vermetid snails, and took everything out of the tank including the sand. I rinsed the sand in old tank water and completely cleaned the tank including the back chambers. I also was able to finally get the tough green algae that's been accumulating on the bottom of the front glass scrubbed off (the Nanomag doesn't touch that stuff).

The skimmer is clean and has a new airstone now, and I've got new floss and carbon and GFO. I put about 1/2 a gallon of old tank water back in, so this was about an 80% water change.

I glued a couple of the acans on the bottom front of the center rock and relocated the duncans in the corner so they have more room.

So far everything looks OK, but of course all the corals are mad. I'll post an FTS tomorrow after they open back up. If the zoas look OK by then, I'm going to add some new ones. I've got a bunch sitting in the frag rack in the 10g tank that have been waiting to come live in this one :)

Here's an "interim" FTS. Things are MUCH better now after the cleaning last night. This is the third time since I started this tank that I've completely removed and cleaned the sand, and every time the results have been like magic :)

The birdsnest is still recovering from all the black clown goby love, but it's way better than it was just a few days ago.

I'll be adding zoas and fish in another day or so :ninja:

16808687549_430368c1f6_b.jpgCAD Lights 4G FTS - 31 March 2015 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

skyscraper2290

Where will you put the zoas haha, maybe around the rics? Looks pretty full in there still. Looking great though.

There's actually a fair amount of open space for small zoa colonies, it just doesn't jump out in the pictures. There were several colonies that have melted in the last three months that need to be replaced :)

It does. I sealed mine up by gluing a piece of acrylic over the slits with some superglue (inside the first chamber). Then I used a hacksaw blade to make the upper slits longer to make up for it. That way I get much better flow from the surface, and all the water is forced through the media basket.

Here's an "interim" FTS. Things are MUCH better now after the cleaning last night. This is the third time since I started this tank that I've completely removed and cleaned the sand, and every time the results have been like magic :)

The birdsnest is still recovering from all the black clown goby love, but it's way better than it was just a few days ago.

I'll be adding zoas and fish in another day or so :ninja:

16808687549_430368c1f6_b.jpgCAD Lights 4G FTS - 31 March 2015 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

That's awesome! So glad it works so well for you :). And of course it still looks like perfection :happy:.

Archived