Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

I'm back from out of town now, but there's a lot of catching up to do!

I checked on the 5 gobies for $15 deal on Ebay but the seller isn't there any more :(

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you are addicted to gobies!

mine is still MIA, i think it's been a long

while now. maybe 6 days? i better check back

chamber (though it has chemi pure and a large

sponge filter over it) when i clean the tank tomorrow.

aiii.

jedimasterben

I'm back from out of town now, but there's a lot of catching up to do!

I checked on the 5 gobies for $15 deal on Ebay but the seller isn't there any more :(

They just don't have anything active at the moment. It's probably just too chilly for them to collect anything right now.

you are addicted to gobies!

mine is still MIA, i think it's been a long

while now. maybe 6 days? i better check back

chamber (though it has chemi pure and a large

sponge filter over it) when i clean the tank tomorrow.

aiii.

Good luck - I hope he's back there!

I have to admit that while I do love GBG's, it's becoming a matter of principle now. I refuse to change my avatar and it doesn't make sense to have a GBG avatar if I don't have at least one GBG :D

They just don't have anything active at the moment. It's probably just too chilly for them to collect anything right now.

Good call. For some reason on my phone it looked like the seller didn't even exist, but on my computer he's still there but just doesn't have anything in his store. MUST HAVE MOAR GBG's!

That thing looks awesome

Thanks!

In other news...

Things seem to have held together while I was gone, but just barely. Somehow I managed to leave the doser turned off while I was gone, so alk was down to about 6.6 when I got back. My Flame Skirt Zoas seem to be my barometer for low alkalinity, and sure enough they were all closed.

And between the new rock I put in the other week, and the presumably deceased Houdini, there was a lot of crud growing on the glass and the sand.

It's all cleaned up now and I've made a water change, and I'm slowly getting the alkalinity back up. The flame skirts are starting to open back up, and the only other casualty seems to be that one of the three sexy shrimp is missing.

I'll be going out of town again in a week, so I'm going to really concentrate on getting the doser set up and running properly. These periodic alkalinity drops when I go out of town really slow down growth.

You have to be careful with NanoBox lights. They are crazy powerful. If I set my Duo to 160/80, I will toast all my corals (shallow tank). I have my Duo set to 125 / 30 right now and slowly ramping up the whites.

I really shouldn't reveal his true identity but Dave is really Superman. He harvested the power of the sun into his NanoBox lights. Without proper acclimation, the cosmic energy from the lights will overwhelm the zooxanthellae in corals. NanoBox is not simply a hobby for Dave. It's part of his master plan to save our world. In the days of the Apocalyse, when the sky goes black, Dave will call upon his legions of NanoBox owners to unite and turn our lights to the sky to bring back the sun. This is the truth.

Bringing this forward to the new page cause it's so funny! And true! And now that Dave has quit his job he can be Superman full time and save the world! :D

One of the GBGs in my Nuvo 8 went missing two days ago :wacko: ...surprise surprise--she's taking a vacation in the back chamber! So my little sponge-in-the-overflow trick didn't work.

Has anyone tried making a tiny trap to catch really small fish? I have a feeling this isn't the last time I'll have to deal with this, and I'd love not to have to remove all the equipment (traumatizing the fish in the process) every time one gets in there.

You could make a little minnow trap out of a small water bottle (there's an example of how I made one to catch my emerald crab in my 10g thread). But I don't think it would fit in the back chamber without pulling everything out anyway :(

I've eventually become convinced that Houdini was jumping into the back chamber through the gap in the back of the screen. It's only about 1/4", but it's the only way for him to have escaped. I had both foam and a piece of window screen blocking the overflow, so there's no way he was getting through there.

I mentioned that I forgot to turn it on while I was gone, but I just realized I never posted anything about the new doser I got about a month ago. It's the new el cheapo Jebao doser from fishstreet.com. I mounted it under the desk using a little shelf I built out of some scrap cherry and birch.

16413220677_19b167c479_b.jpgDosing Shelf by TeenyReef, on Flickr

16413224837_fb43a0253a_b.jpgJebao Doser by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I picked up a couple of water bottles at Target that came with a heavy plastic straw and a built in flap, which were perfect for dosing containers:

16619876652_289135f10e_b.jpgDosing Containers by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I've been working on getting the pumps calibrated and the settings working properly. Overall, it's a decent doser, especially for the price, but there have been a couple problems:

- One of the pumps stopped working after the first few days. I emailed fishstreet on a Sunday night, and they responded within an hour and put a new pump in the mail the next day. So I can't complain at all about that.

- In this small tank, I can't dose more than 1 ml at a time, which is the minimum dose supported by the Jebao. But the 1 ml setting is not accurate. Once I calibrated the pumps, I confirmed the calibration by dosing 5ml into a cup, and sure enough, there was 5ml of RODI in the cup when it got done. But when I did five separate 1ml doses, I ended up with about 8ml of RODI. Not good :(

So I've diluted the two part (Seachem Reef Fusion 1 & 2) by 50% using RODI, but if I dose 1 ml per day it's not enough, and 2ml per day is too much. So I think I'll have to dilute to 25% and adjust from there.

Thanks, everyone. I noticed there was some algae creeping up low on the glass so I did another water change to get the water level down and went to town with a magic eraser. I've noticed some vermetid snails coming back (grrr) but I'm trying to pick them off right away whenever I see them.

My stomatella snail has grown a shell. This isn't the best shot but I was able to get close enough using the flash to see the shell, and you can even see that he has blue eyes :)

16630583261_1c1e6c147b_b.jpgStomatella by TeenyReef, on Flickr

AllOutAfrican

blurgh. john, do you have tips?

how do you remove them? i know they said

just pulling or cutting might not work because

the critters retract to below the tube? did you

say you actually chipped away on the rock so

they'd come off? with what tools?

any advice appreciated. i might take a break

from revising today to do a major cleaning.

You could cover the hole with super glue gell and try get the worm to stick to it so it cant escape its what it do and never comes back

You could cover the hole with super glue gell and try get the worm to stick to it so it cant escape its what it do and never comes back

i actually got a nose plier and just got them all

off that way. it was super easy. (more so than trying

to deal with plugging with glue, i think.) just have to

be sure you get into the rock and get the actual worm,

not just the tube.

thank you!

I tried the super glue thing, but it's hard to put a blob of glue on it while it's underwater, and get it on just the right spot. I've found that if I have to pull the rock out anyway it's way easier to crush it or ship it off the rock. In the tank, I use a long, very small, flat head screwdriver to crush up the base of the shell. That only works if the rock is solidly in place, though.

It started snowing today (again...) so I got to leave work early. I went by Petco on the way home - they just got a new shipment :)

I got a Pom Pom crab that actually had pom poms, and they had a black clown goby for $5.95! Who could say no to that? omgomgomg

16637497582_baef96f49d_b.jpgNew BCG and Pom Pom Crab by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I think the new pom pom might be a girl, because as soon as she went in the other guy came out of nowhere and started dancing right in front of her. He was really getting into it... :happydance:

16612576296_1c7e3c5270_b.jpgGettin' Jiggy with it by TeenyReef, on Flickr

But she was all like "nope, nope, nope..." The closer he got to further back behind the rock she went, leaving him heartbroken... :tears:

I think he just wanted her pom poms anyway :lol:

16637073851_8bd80ed122_b.jpg"Nope!" by TeenyReef, on Flickr

The black clown goby settled right in. He's been snuggled up under the acans, snug as a bug in a rug :)

16452339159_a8aa70e3f3_b.jpgBlack Clown Goby by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Sweet pick ups and even better pictures! I love my black goby. I've had mine for over two years and have been trying to get a sweet macro shot of him like that. You have yours for one day and BAM, killer photo :P You have skills my friend.

Oooooh, black clown goby! I can't wait to start stocking my 10g with gobies.

I'm seriously envious of your DIY-ness. And I love Contigo! I have four of their travel tumblers :lol:

Sweet pick ups and even better pictures! I love my black goby. I've had mine for over two years and have been trying to get a sweet macro shot of him like that. You have yours for one day and BAM, killer photo :P You have skills my friend.

Thanks! I definitely got lucky with that picture :)

i love black clown gobies but my lfs never stocks them.

I couldn't believe Petco had them for $6.95. Even the guy who helped me was surprised at how cheap they were. I don't think I've ever paid that little for any other living thing in my tank, unless you count the unit cost per snail from John at Reefcleaners :)

maybe they will split and share the nems =)

You nailed it :lol: Less than an hour later, I saw one of them with just one pom pom! Later, I saw one with two pom poms, but they are smaller now... :P

16018040444_744d7130f9_b.jpgSharing Pom Poms by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Archived