Pod Your Reef

Nice additions to your tank, been thinking of pygmy angel but im afraid it nips on corals and get more aggressive as it gets comfortable in the tank, lmk if you have any issue with your pygmy.

I'm wondering where you got your dendrophyllia? I have a branching type Australian dendrophyllia but they never open up like yours do, its been two weeks, and they only open up slightly when I target feed them but never fully like yours. I'm wondering if yours may be a different type of dendro.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting that.

My aquarium will be in my bedroom so being silent it vital. Have you attempted the full siphon yourself? If one is able to get it to work perfectly, unless the water drops such as during a water change, there would be no reason for the siphon to break would there? (as long as pipes are kept clean!)

Also, could a kill switch be implemented by means of a sensor in the display tank which, when tripped would turn off the return pump preventing an overflow.

Would this be something I can only test when I have all the equipment? I read from your experience that although the mathematics seemed right, that real life results were not 100% accurate.

I've forced the system into a full siphon but the way that it is currently running it is impossible for it to stay that way. I would have to record a video to show what happens.

If I completely cover one of the bulkheads with my hand the water in the tank will rise almost to the top to spill over the sides. The 2nd bulkhead will now be completely underwater, a siphon forms and the water is down draining faster than the pump is pushing water. The water then drops until air rushes into the tube causing noise, the siphon breaks and now the water doesn't drain as fast. The cycle repeats. If my pump was strong enough to push more water so that when it was under full siphon and the water didn't drop we'd have a bigger problem, there is no where for the water to go besides over the sides of the tank.

This is the reason for overflow boxes in "Reef Ready" setups. They provide the extra buffer. In my senario, the entire tank could almost be considered the overflow box and there are 2 drains inside of it. If one fails, or becomes covered, the other picks up the slack and creates a ton of noise alerting me to a problem I have to fix.

You could put sensors and float valves on the top of the tank. They would turn off the pump in case the water rose to the brim, but I'd imagine it would be tripping on and off quite often.

You'd just have to trust me when I say running this type of setup without a siphon is a lot easier and won't cause your room to flood. It is also a lot quieter than most people probably believe.

Nice additions to your tank, been thinking of pygmy angel but im afraid it nips on corals and get more aggressive as it gets comfortable in the tank, lmk if you have any issue with your pygmy.

I'm wondering where you got your dendrophyllia? I have a branching type Australian dendrophyllia but they never open up like yours do, its been two weeks, and they only open up slightly when I target feed them but never fully like yours. I'm wondering if yours may be a different type of dendro.

I bought a really small one, just over an inch and it hasn't shown any interest in coral that I've seen. Since it is also the smallest of my fish it is also the one that gets picked on the most. The clown has been in the tank for 2 1/2 years so he runs the show. The other fish are all recent additions as well as the pygmy so they don't mind him.

Its a dendro. I'm not sure if there are that many different types of dendros. I've just seen them in a few different sizes, the Japanese Giants being the biggest. I feed each head mysis every few days. They have gotten used to being feed when the lights are on so they open up during the day. When I moved the tank from my old office and took paternity leave for 2 weeks they weren't fed by my coworkers. They stayed closed for a few days after I got back until I coaxed them back into eating during the day again. So it just takes a little training.

• Like 1

I've forced the system into a full siphon but the way that it is currently running it is impossible for it to stay that way. I would have to record a video to show what happens.

If I completely cover one of the bulkheads with my hand the water in the tank will rise almost to the top to spill over the sides. The 2nd bulkhead will now be completely underwater, a siphon forms and the water is down draining faster than the pump is pushing water. The water then drops until air rushes into the tube causing noise, the siphon breaks and now the water doesn't drain as fast. The cycle repeats. If my pump was strong enough to push more water so that when it was under full siphon and the water didn't drop we'd have a bigger problem, there is no where for the water to go besides over the sides of the tank.

This is the reason for overflow boxes in "Reef Ready" setups. They provide the extra buffer. In my senario, the entire tank could almost be considered the overflow box and there are 2 drains inside of it. If one fails, or becomes covered, the other picks up the slack and creates a ton of noise alerting me to a problem I have to fix.

You could put sensors and float valves on the top of the tank. They would turn off the pump in case the water rose to the brim, but I'd imagine it would be tripping on and off quite often.

You'd just have to trust me when I say running this type of setup without a siphon is a lot easier and won't cause your room to flood. It is also a lot quieter than most people probably believe.

Would you kindly record a video of the tank as it currently is (with air going into the drain) and also at full siphon if possible?

The turnover I'm aiming for is less than 10x ( will use a powerhead) - would this reduce the chances of flood somewhat? It should also make it easier to match the drain to the return pump, but I'd never know until I try it myself.

Indoor research, did you find out if the Xaqua or Oceanlife run at full siphon?

Would you kindly record a video of the tank as it currently is (with air going into the drain) and also at full siphon if possible?

The turnover I'm aiming for is less than 10x ( will use a powerhead) - would this reduce the chances of flood somewhat? It should also make it easier to match the drain to the return pump, but I'd never know until I try it myself.

Indoor research, did you find out if the Xaqua or Oceanlife run at full siphon?

Both the XAqua and Oceanlife allow air into the tube and do not use a siphon, their systems and mine would be considered gravity drains.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/BulkheadFloRateArt.htm The results and conclusion are the most important parts to read.

I will try to make a video demonstrating how it works.

• Like 1

Both the XAqua and Oceanlife allow air into the tube and do not use a siphon, their systems and mine would be considered gravity drains.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/BulkheadFloRateArt.htm The results and conclusion are the most important parts to read.

I will try to make a video demonstrating how it works.

Link doesn't work but I've found that page.

Basically larger and more drains are better. I might just go with one 1.5" drain - this method (similar to Xaqua) is to save space in the display tank as my pipework will all be in a dry chamber.

How far below your strainer is the water level? It looks like 10mm or so.

I have just posted a mockup of this here, incase you are interested: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/350963-a-designers-minimal-reef/page-3

What he doesn't tell you is he also does this while drinking awesome brews from a tap just a couple steps away. Its a key step he keeps closely guarded.

Secret is out....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Scorched sorry to interupt your thread i brought one of those lights the 60cm version but mine doesnt look anywhere like yours. my plug is on the side i dont have a on/off switch on the top and my fan cases are visible unlike your. Whenever i google it the images all look like your one but i can find any that look like mine. Any ideas. sorry totally new here dont know how to upload photos

• Like 1

Hi Scorched sorry to interupt your thread i brought one of those lights the 60cm version but mine doesnt look anywhere like yours. my plug is on the side i dont have a on/off switch on the top and my fan cases are visible unlike your. Whenever i google it the images all look like your one but i can find any that look like mine. Any ideas. sorry totally new here dont know how to upload photos

I just got the same lights in 90cm. It seems like they changed the design slightly.

Was yours like this?

2tCzjo2h.jpg

• Like 2

Yep I've been chatting with Jabeuy for a few weeks and he ordered one as well. It seems they changed a few things that I said I didn't like. Mainly the switch and power cord position. I believe they also added UV which I had them add custom for me.

I personally like the sleeker looking design and want the newer version. The fans I don't understand why they changed. On mine you don't notice them, and honestly I don't even know why they have them. Mine have never turned on and I've turned every channel to 99% multiple times.

I just got the same lights in 90cm. It seems like they changed the design slightly.

Was yours like this?

Yep, a few good modifications. The power cord on the top is so big on mine. Looks much better on yours.

Tank growing crazy! Looks amazing man. Haven't been on here in a while.

Thanks! And I haven't even posted anything really big lately. I'm still waiting for both of my leptoseris frags to recovery from bleeching. They are about 2-3 weeks away from full recovery. Once that happens I'll start to ramp up the intensity on the LEDs to really get the colors brighter. The next big frag swap is in Nov in the Twin Cities so thats when most of my new corals will be added. Until then I'm saving my money for other personal things. A new camera, lens, and ps4 for a little fun.

Was yours like this?2tCzjo2h.jpg

Yes jabeuy that's exactly the same as mine. I was getting abit worried then got a email saying it's the newer version new design more stable and lighting ratio. Seems a lot better with cord out the side now u can run it along one of the legs that support it.

Yep I've been chatting with Jabeuy for a few weeks and he ordered one as well. It seems they changed a few things that I said I didn't like. Mainly the switch and power cord position. I believe they also added UV which I had them add custom for me.

I personally like the sleeker looking design and want the newer version. The fans I don't understand why they changed. On mine you don't notice them, and honestly I don't even know why they have them. Mine have never turned on and I've turned every channel to 99% multiple times.

Mine turned on within the first half hour was tryna make sure everything was working since it didn't look like any images I could find on the Internet was getting paranoid haha. But it's a pretty cool light for what u pay. Thanks for the reply

Yep, a few good modifications. The power cord on the top is so big on mine. Looks much better on yours.

Thanks! And I haven't even posted anything really big lately. I'm still waiting for both of my leptoseris frags to recovery from bleeching. They are about 2-3 weeks away from full recovery. Once that happens I'll start to ramp up the intensity on the LEDs to really get the colors brighter. The next big frag swap is in Nov in the Twin Cities so thats when most of my new corals will be added. Until then I'm saving my money for other personal things. A new camera, lens, and ps4 for a little fun.

CatfishSoupFTW

have you made a lid by chance? I have a nano rimless tank.. and lets say I have lost a few fish. my 55 fresh water has been topless for years, and I cant remember the last time someone jumped. -__-

Hey scorched, a few pages back you have a chart of your lighting period and intensities. Do you really actually go up to 99% on some channels?

This light seems so powerful to me lol. Im coming from using Current Orbit Marines which are 0.25 watt LEDs, so each LED on the new Chinese lights would be about 12x stronger!

I tried putting it over a tank, and would need to max out at around %10 intensity on any channel to imitate my old lights. Gonna have to acclimate my corals to these reallyyyy slowly haha.

• Like 1

have you made a lid by chance? I have a nano rimless tank.. and lets say I have lost a few fish. my 55 fresh water has been topless for years, and I cant remember the last time someone jumped. -__-

I lost 2-3 fish in the first few months. After my midas jumped I made a screen.

3HY0k.jpg

I always take it off when Im looking at the tank or taking pictures.

Hey scorched, a few pages back you have a chart of your lighting period and intensities. Do you really actually go up to 99% on some channels?

This light seems so powerful to me lol. Im coming from using Current Orbit Marines which are 0.25 watt LEDs, so each LED on the new Chinese lights would be about 12x stronger!

I tried putting it over a tank, and would need to max out at around %10 intensity on any channel to imitate my old lights. Gonna have to acclimate my corals to these reallyyyy slowly haha.

That was my goal of eventually getting that that photo period and intensity. Since then I've dialed everything WAY back. Some corals were getting bleached even at 50% brightness.

Now my whites max out about 25-30% and blues go to 50%, colors and cyans are around 10%. I've updated the excel document but its at work. If you want you can download the actual editable document a few pages back and tweak the intensities and times so you can see how the graph looks. It really helps to visually seem the chat throughout the day compared to blindly entering values into the lighting fixture.

• Like 4
CatfishSoupFTW

I lost 2-3 fish in the first few months. After my midas jumped I made a screen.

3HY0k.jpg

I always take it off when Im looking at the tank or taking pictures.

thats sweet! how do you go about making one? .... as i need to make one. lol

thats sweet! how do you go about making one? .... as i need to make one. lol

It is a basic window screen kit purchased from Home Depot or Menards, etc

If you want a larger holed mesh you have to buy that separately. Its sometimes called bird netting.

ive been stalking this tank for a while now... but i love it so much i had to make an account to say i love it... im currently tearing down my mr aqua 12 long as this inspired me to turn it from a planted tank to a reef tank!!!

• Like 3

ive been stalking this tank for a while now... but i love it so much i had to make an account to say i love it... im currently tearing down my mr aqua 12 long as this inspired me to turn it from a planted tank to a reef tank!!!

Thats awesome! I'm glad I could inspire you to make such a drastic switch, there are so many nice planted Mr Aqua longs.

Let me know if you want any tips. A ton of the basic saltwater stuff you can easily google search or find out about in the new hobbyist section, but I'll try my best to answer basic reef questions or ones pertaining to this particular tank.

Almost every day I'm sticking my hand in the tank for some reason or another. In the last few months the water temperature has seemed to fluctuate greatly. Just by touch alone I can feel that the water is warm or cool. With winter coming up and wanting to get things more stable I ordered myself a new Neo-Therm 75 watt heater.

And to make the deal super sweet I got it for $21.49!!

On the coral front things are still recovering slowly from the move and the light change, for the better but its slow. Once the leptoseris corals recover from bleaching I will start to ramp up the intensity and try to get the coral a little more vibrant. Other than that no other new things will probably be happening up until our local frag swap Nov.

Hey,

I'm planning to purchase the same lights as you did and was wondering what degree optics do you have installed? Was it the original from the seller or did you specifically ask them to swap in another one.

I was thinking they're 120 degree optics. I want my tank to look just like yours that's why.

Thanks,

Vinoy

21CentSchizMan

Sorry if this has been asked in one of the 40 pages on this thread, but how do you keep it so crystal clear? Even your progress shots are pristine. Did you go through a nasty period?

Hey,

I'm planning to purchase the same lights as you did and was wondering what degree optics do you have installed? Was it the original from the seller or did you specifically ask them to swap in another one.

I was thinking they're 120 degree optics. I want my tank to look just like yours that's why.

Thanks,

Vinoy

They are either 90s or 120s. I ordered whatever was on them by default. If you changed any of them to 120 or asked for wider Id do it to the reds and greens. If you are ordering the same light from Sosci in China they may not sell it to you anymore. And I don't mean just you specifically. They've rejected other NR members after I told them to contact Sosci. I guess there is now an American distributor for that version of the light and they no longer sell to individuals, sort of like a non-compete.

If you can find the same model manufactured at a different facility they will probably ship it to the US. If you aren't in the US you could still probably order it directly from Sosci.

Sorry if this has been asked in one of the 40 pages on this thread, but how do you keep it so crystal clear? Even your progress shots are pristine. Did you go through a nasty period?

Both main drains go into a filter sock stuffed with polyfill. It comes in a big bag used for making stuffed animals and pillows.

And to remove anything tiny all the water is forced through a ROX carbon reactor.

While the water may have been clear that doesn't mean I didn't have troubles early on. The first year or so of my pictures I have lots of brown and green algae growing on the rocks and a lot of the corals are faded or dying.

hfFZtoV.jpg

Picture is about 6 months after it was setup. You can see this was right after I added the blue ridge coral (Still growing and looking sweet) but the rocks looked nasty. Don't get discouraged in the first few months. Everyone goes through a nasty phase at some point in the beginning.

• Like 1

I picked up (Had delivered, lol_hitting.gif ) a clam about 2 weeks ago. It started to show a little pinching on the mantle last Friday so I freshwater dipped it for 30 minutes and added a new batch of Rox carbon to the reactor. This photo is pre-pinched mantle and the clam was even more open Monday and today. I was a little worried about doing it on Friday. I feared I'd come to work Monday with a ball of mush on the sand but it recovered amazingly well.

UEMl2d0.jpg

Clam is from UniqueCorals. I believe it was $48 + their $19 shipping deal. My only regret is that is was a random pick. It has a little blue but not as much as I hoped. In hindsight I should have just bit the bullet on a WYSIWYG $100+ clam that was all baby blue and had a more vibrant pattern. If I can keep this guy going for 6+ months maybe I'll splurge on a premo one.

Also, I finally got my Neo-Therm 75watter in the mail yesterday. I was actually surprised at how big it was. True it is very thin, but dang it is a lot wider than I was expecting. So far the temperature seems to be staying more stable than my Finnex. That thing fluctuated from really cold to warm every few hours (This is just by putting my hand in the tank, not very scientific)

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I've really been holding off on buying new coral since the move and new light. Now that things are really starting to look amazing in the tank again I had to add more pieces. I was trying really hard to wait until our local reef clubs frag swap next month but I couldn't wait, especially with the deal AquaSD had going on with a ton of their pieces being 50% off or more.

3Dwsms1.png

The torch has been on my want list for a long time since I lost my original one last year. And this is the most yellow one I've ever seen.

They have some REALLY insane acans and lps that I was drooling over, but many of them were 100+ a frag and I couldn't stomach that.

• Like 2