Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Yep. That's the correct light. I however bought mine straight from the manufacturer in China and saved almost $170 off the fish street version.

Most beautiful tank i seen with this specific tank!!! Amazing

Wow thank you! There are plenty of great 12g longs. However many of them start taking then apart or upgrade just as they start to really look mature. I don't plan on having any new tanks anytime soon so this tank should look great once all the corals are the size of grapefruits.

Cant wait til my build looks as nice as yours!

Your tank looks sweet dude.

Post your pictures and progress.

You should have started your thread awhile ago while you were asking me questions. There are lots of other people that can give you insight into other parts of your build that you might find useful.

However, its always going to be your tank so you need to make the decisions and choices that work for you.

• Like 1

Just kalk with my top off water. I add a little acropower by hand every once and awhile

Have you always been kalk-ing? Or did you start after the tank was established?

Have you always been kalk-ing? Or did you start after the tank was established?

I thought I needed it really early on, say 2-5 months in. But that lead to huge problems as I was topping off my tank by hand each morning. My kalk was mixed with my RODI. Tue-Fri I was adding 1/4 gallon at once, and on monday after the weekend I was adding 1/2 gallon+. This large amount of kalk is super bad all at once. I had really unstable water and lots of my corals were dying or on the brink of death all the time. I stopped kalk and just went with rodi and no suppliments for over a year. Most of my water stability was then satisfied with weekly large water changes. Once I finally got around to adding a 50ml doser I added kalk back into my top off. It has been like that for probably close to a year now.

So, for someone starting a salt tank for the first time, would you recommend waiting on kalk for a while, or trying to get it started out right in the beginning?

This would be someone building a setup similar to yours.

So, for someone starting a salt tank for the first time, would you recommend waiting on kalk for a while, or trying to get it started out right in the beginning?

This would be someone building a setup similar to yours.

Wait quite awhile.

Dosing isn't needed until you have a lot of growing corals. Until then water changes will keep everything elevated. And if you do dose anything, kalk or 2-part make sure you can do it in an automated way so that your additions are slow, steady, and consistent.

• Like 1

What fish is that and beautiful tank, we'll done

Cherub Pygmy Angelfish. Only gets to be about 2-3" long. I like the flameback and fireball angels a lot too but its really hard to find a vendor that sells the ones with solid blue tails.

Absolutly Stunning tank! VERY, VERY well done! Following this one!

As always drooling over your tank !!

It is a Pygmy (Cherub) Angelfish : http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+16+455&pcatid=455

Thanks guys, and the Pygmy is correct.

That photo also shows off my coco worm that was absent from my TOTM pictures, it never wanted to come out. And 2 new montis above it. A nautispiral montipora and an ora undata.

miWFLXK.png

20140110_1100042_200gReef.jpg

• Like 1

Gorgeous tank!

I'm currently designing my first saltwater aquarium and have played around with many weir / overflow ideas. The XAqua / Oceanlife looked very promising, but this setup looks even better - smaller and far cheaper.

I'd only be using one drain and one return, do you think fully submerging the return pipe would make it run silent? Part of the grate would be exposed to air so that it skims the surface but from my understanding of the 'Herbie method', submerged pipes run silent.

Gorgeous tank!

I'm currently designing my first saltwater aquarium and have played around with many weir / overflow ideas. The XAqua / Oceanlife looked very promising, but this setup looks even better - smaller and far cheaper.

I'd only be using one drain and one return, do you think fully submerging the return pipe would make it run silent? Part of the grate would be exposed to air so that it skims the surface but from my understanding of the 'Herbie method', submerged pipes run silent.

Thank you!

Yea the first 1-2 pages of my thread detail how I liked the XAqua but wanted to make something similar and not spend a fortune. And like you said I think it even came out cleaner looking. I then was upset that the system wasn't quite running like I planned, later I would come to realize I had made the correct calculations and it actually runs extremely well. I will explain why below.

Im going to assume when you said run my "return" submerged you meant drain. I have both of my 1/2 returns under water to provide my only source of water movement for the tank. Running your drains submerged, and only have 1 is a VERY bad idea. By submerging the drain you are causing the pipe to form a siphon. Siphon systems drain a lot more water and are quieter except your drainage rate would need to PERFECTLY match the flow rate of your return pump. If its too much, your tank overflows within a few minutes. If its too little you actually cause the drain to have more noise than the system I'm running. What happens is the water level will rise until it covers the bulkhead, a siphon will form causing the water to drain quickly. If its draining quicker than the pump thats good, as your tank wont overflow. But when the water gets sucked down the pipe at a fast rate it will drop the water level in the tank and now there is a channel of air that can get into the tube as well. This causes a rush of air and turbulent water and creates a ton of noise. Now the pipe is now longer a siphon and it isn't draining as fast. The water then rises and the cycle repeats over and over.

My system is equalized by running the pump even slower so that air is always allowed into the pipe at a equal rate. This then causes little to no noise. By having 2 large 1" drains I am still able to move a lot of water through the system.

Thanks for posting that.

My aquarium will be in my bedroom so being silent it vital. Have you attempted the full siphon yourself? If one is able to get it to work perfectly, unless the water drops such as during a water change, there would be no reason for the siphon to break would there? (as long as pipes are kept clean!)

Also, could a kill switch be implemented by means of a sensor in the display tank which, when tripped would turn off the return pump preventing an overflow.

Would this be something I can only test when I have all the equipment? I read from your experience that although the mathematics seemed right, that real life results were not 100% accurate.