Top Shelf Aquatics

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

I swear every god damn person I know who listens to this (Most of which are girls in my grade) also replaces the lyrics "Every time I'm in the street, I hear YAWK YAWK YAWK YAWK!" With "Every time I'm in the club I hear YAWK YAWK YAWK YAWK!" :mellow:<_<:furious:

Bleh!

:P

Awesome mural!

They melt for no reason. My garden has been pissed off for a while. Lawn advised to reduce the amount of GFO, I did that many weeks ago. No improvement. Then I started re arrangung the top shelf of the rock work to guve more light to the zoas below. That's been working to an extent, the extent being the colonies that are getting more light. But I have at least 10/12 frags on the frag rack that are getting great light. Some are doing well, some just melt. Argh.

I run a dirty tank so it can't be my water. Are zoas sensitive to low alkalinity?

Thw minute I put the zoas from the rack to the rockwork, it starts declining.

SquishyFishy

Sorry to hear it, but if YOU'RE having these kinds of issues, then I can't be all that much of an idiot!!!

I've noticed that my mid-tank Zoa colony does great as long as my alk is at 83 to 84, and it does sink once or twice a week. I am constantly dosing for that. But they close up if it drops below that. Since I'm a newb and look to you to know everything :rolleyes: and you're having these problems, then maybe that's the norm.

I've lost two softie colonies (big ones), mostly polyps lately and I can't figure it out either. I try to be so exact.....I mean how do you manage to kill cloves????

Sorry to hear it, but if YOU'RE having these kinds of issues, then I can't be all that much of an idiot!!!

I've noticed that my mid-tank Zoa colony does great as long as my alk is at 83 to 84, and it does sink once or twice a week. I am constantly dosing for that. But they close up if it drops below that. Since I'm a newb and look to you to know everything :rolleyes: and you're having these problems, then maybe that's the norm.

I've lost two softie colonies (big ones), mostly polyps lately and I can't figure it out either. I try to be so exact.....I mean how do you manage to kill cloves????

Do you test for iodide? Cloves, Xenia, Cespit, etc. are iodide dependant and can crash if levels get too low.

They melt for no reason. My garden has been pissed off for a while. Lawn advised to reduce the amount of GFO, I did that many weeks ago. No improvement. Then I started re arrangung the top shelf of the rock work to guve more light to the zoas below. That's been working to an extent, the extent being the colonies that are getting more light. But I have at least 10/12 frags on the frag rack that are getting great light. Some are doing well, some just melt. Argh.

I run a dirty tank so it can't be my water. Are zoas sensitive to low alkalinity?

Zoas are simply emo. You can take two frags, put them right next to each other, and one will melt and the other will double in size.
  • Like 5

:huh:

My tank is hardly immune to trouble. With most other corals, the cause of their decline or death is somewhat apparent or can be concluded based on things like parameters and changes. Zoas defy all logic. I dosed some vitamin C this morning. I used to dose that frequently, and I think I'll start it again to see if that helps.

Zoas are simply emo. You can take two frags, put them right next to each other, and one will melt and the other will double in size.

+1

Have you tried a small peroxide dip to the one that looks like its melting?

Yes and no. I use peroxide a lot for algae problems so I am not squeamish about using it. Looking at a melting zoa frag, it can be ascertained if peroxide will help or not. Usually in the early stages of the frag/colony being pissed off, it can work.

After all that cussin', here is a pithur of my newest little happy frag

20140724_130156.jpg

• Like 4
BattleAthletics

Yes and no. I use peroxide a lot for algae problems so I am not squeamish about using it. Looking at a melting zoa frag, it can be ascertained if peroxide will help or not. Usually in the early stages of the frag/colony being pissed off, it can work.

Try it and see?

There was this zoas king on RC, I've long forgot his name, but he had the most insane zoa gardens I've ever seen, and he did experiments on healing sick colonies, etc. He strongly recommended long term day vitamin c dosing. Not for the carbon but the as ascorbic acid.

• Like 2

Are they doing well on the rack? Like growing and multiplying?

Unless the water chemistry on the rack is different than the water chemistry on the rocks, it must be some other parameter. I think flow is the most likely suspect. I believe I've read that zoas will open up more with higher flow

Are they doing well on the rack? Like growing and multiplying?

Unless the water chemistry on the rack is different than the water chemistry on the rocks, it must be some other parameter. I think flow is the most likely suspect. I believe I've read that zoas will open up more with higher flow

The flow on the rack is very turbulent. Not so much on the rocks but still has good flow.

You should turn off your carbon during the day with all the stuff you dose. Don't want it sucking up all the vitamin c etc. I have mine on the controller to only run when the lights are off.

• Like 2

i have the same problem with zoas.. some are bulletproof and some just melt.. grow to 100+ and melt to 1-2.. grow back... repeat.. i hate them as much as i love them.. which is a problem that costs me a lot of money :)

• Like 3