inTank Media Baskets

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Aww that's nice. Hey wait a minute is yhat thr metrokat tribute wall?! You painted iver my tribute? :angry:

That's it! Im napping jumpy AND the squamosa.

Ha!! This wall will be repainted at least once a month! Including murals from guest artists! Did u notice the Jumpy statue? I love it.

I am probably a terrible person (scratch that, I am definitely a terribad person), but I wouldn't have done surgery on the fish. I would have euthanized it.

Slim light box. How to build one on the cheap?

Get a light, build a small wooden frame, place an opaque acrylic square over it

k... I'm gonna ask for all us dummies.. what is the purpose of a light box?

For up-lighting papers, etc for tracing, editing, among other things. Presumably this would be for fragging?

Edit: Perhaps it has more to do with Kat's job, though?

• Like 1

k... I'm gonna ask for all us dummies.. what is the purpose of a light box?

Not reef related I suspect.

I know what she's asking for now. They help if you want to trace between papers, or check that two papers are identical. You're just lighting things from under them, like an Xray. They're useful when doing hand drawings and stuff.

Not sure how big you define "table", but there's a 23.5" one on amazon that's ~100$. Try searching for light tables instead of light boxes. Also, if you want a fluorescent one, you'd likely be able to score one for free (you haul it) if you browsed Craigslist.

http://www.amazon.com/Huion-Tatoo-Tracing-Light-Table/dp/B00DNPCZVG

61ZvOEGWvyL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2

Not reef related I suspect.

I know what she's asking for now. They help if you want to trace between papers, or check that two papers are identical. You're just lighting things from under them, like an Xray. They're useful when doing hand drawings and stuff.

Not sure how big you define "table", but there's a 23.5" one on amazon that's ~100$. Try searching for light tables instead of light boxes. Also, if you want a fluorescent one, you'd likely be able to score one for free (you haul it) if you browsed Craigslist.

http://www.amazon.com/Huion-Tatoo-Tracing-Light-Table/dp/B00DNPCZVG

61ZvOEGWvyL._SL1500_.jpg

LOVE THIS! Too small though.

This is a light drafting table.

drafting_furniture_light_draft_tables_77

The tables run into about $4K costs. They're amazing though. At the factory we had a custom light table made - has 6 or 8 kitchen sized fluorescent tubes. The purpose is to check weaving defects in fabric.

• Like 1

you could certainly make one easy enough.. basically recess a t8 fixture into a table or diy frame, then add a glass/plexi top over it.. could be done MUCH cheaper thank $4k.. except that you said you were looking for a thin LED one...

• Like 3

Did they use frosted glass? my fear of something that large is getting it strong enough to support any weight. Building one should not be too hard if you have the tools to do it.

Did they use frosted glass? my fear of something that large is getting it strong enough to support any weight. Building one should not be too hard if you have the tools to do it.

how do you think they make large glass aquariums? thicker glass.. or tempered..

you could certainly make one easy enough.. basically recess a t8 fixture into a table or diy frame, then add a glass/plexi top over it.. could be done MUCH cheaper thank $4k.. except that you said you were looking for a thin LED one...

I was just about to say this. Back in high school when they denied the art teacher's budget he just got one of those old class tables that someone didnt want, painted it flat white and put 2 t8 light fixtures in like a makeshift box. Didnt go over $100 and he got to rub it into the school principal's face lol

• Like 2

That would be far too thick. I need a slim light box.

9.jpg

That would be far too thick. I need a slim light box.

9.jpg

What about a small wooden frame + glass + those LED light strips that sell on ebay for like $20? You could use wood to reenforce the glass on the inside and just lay the light strips in between those. Walmart may even have them so you can probably get everything there or at michaels

edit: I would use glass to reenforce since it wont make "dark spots"

• Like 4