ReefCleaners.org

Jedi's Science Reef

jedimaster1138

jedimaster1138

So why Optimus Prime on avatar? Or you just a good nerd to all cool nerds things to have and be :)

Exactly. Gotta represent all realms of awesomeness. Plus I really like that drawing of Optimus. It captures his old style the best.

Optimus-Prime.jpg

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimaster1138

Can anyone ID this? I'm fairly certain it's just "brown slime algae", not dinos, as I don't seem to have dead snails. It's not on my sand bed...just one or 2 tiny spots on sand, but it IS on my rock work, widespread like, in areas of low flow, crevices etc.

For bonus points, how can I rid myself of it :) I'm going to increase my use of Phosguard and possibly move my skimmer upgrade up to sooner, ie now, than later, (post honeymoon). I'm also going to start running carbon again and clean out my fuge.

brown-slime5-3-2013_zps3fe26d93.jpg

jedimaster1138

Much more fun pictures.

Jason Fox Hammer coral...neon green with that cool painted blue tips here and there.

1440jasonfoxhammer5-3-2013_zps48daf7db.j

I have taken to calling this guy Beeker. I just wish I could convince him to eat something other than Frozen Brine or Live Blackworms.

1440copperbandbutteryfly5-3-2013_zps72f3

Yeah I know, my glass is dirty. Come over here and clean it for me!

You should be THANKFUL he's eating frozen brine. I still don't think mine is eating any frozen foods at all, I would enrich the frozen brine with selcon and you have all the nutrition you need.

True Honeymoon story!!

THis just happened last week to my girlfriends brother. So they were in Cancun and it was about 4 am and everyone was sleeping off the booze. So Anthony hears a noise and wakes up to find a naked woman trying to get OUT of the room, fiddling with the door. He looks to his side, and yup, his new wife is still out cold right besides him. He just sat there and stared for a minute and the naked girl couldn't figure out the door, so she turned around and started walking towards him. He nudged his new wife and said " wake up honey, youre not going to believe this. Do you see what I'm seeing?

So Karen wakes up with her classic mob wife mentality and yells " WTF is this drunk bitch doing in our room!!?? " Anthony is wondering if he did anything he doesn't remember, and is thinking his 24 hour marriage might just be over already. KAREN GOES BALLISTIC and starts screaming loud enough to wake up the entire hotel.

The poor drunk girl defended herself and explained she is from the adjoining room and got lost while trying to find her bathroom.

:lol::blink:

Can anyone ID this? I'm fairly certain it's just "brown slime algae", not dinos, as I don't seem to have dead snails. It's not on my sand bed...just one or 2 tiny spots on sand, but it IS on my rock work, widespread like, in areas of low flow, crevices etc.

For bonus points, how can I rid myself of it :) I'm going to increase my use of Phosguard and possibly move my skimmer upgrade up to sooner, ie now, than later, (post honeymoon). I'm also going to start running carbon again and clean out my fuge.

Wow what a mess. Maybe try a small bristle mouth tang, like a Kole.That would end your problems for sure.

jedimaster1138

Try feedin pe mysis on a feeding stick . Years back is what I did to get mine to eat frozen

Beautiful butterfly!

You should be THANKFUL he's eating frozen brine. I still don't think mine is eating any frozen foods at all, I would enrich the frozen brine with selcon and you have all the nutrition you need.

Thanks!

Yeah I shouldn't complain too much. I just get worried that if I forget to vary the diet enough, or get lazy and don't get worms, he'll go hungry. He DOES spend most of his day cruising the tank looking for foods and picking stuff off. So I guess that's good. I dose everything with either Selcon or Elos Extra Vitamin or Kent Garlic. I think tonight I'm going to try to trick him by feeding both Mysis and Brine and see if he doesn't notice the difference and eats both. He totally demolished Brine last night though.

The thing about him too is that he's a slower grabber of food. Big Blue the Hippo and the rest go feeding frenzy bonkers when food hits the tank, and he's just chilling like Matthew McConaughey. Eventually he eats, but yeah. My new thing is to drop in some dry flake, let them go feeding frenzy for that and then dump in some frozen. He attacks live worms aggressively though and to a lesser degree frozen brine.

I'm not sure I know what a feeding stick is...any pictures of this in action?

True Honeymoon story!!

THis just happened last week to my girlfriends brother. So they were in Cancun and it was about 4 am and everyone was sleeping off the booze. So Anthony hears a noise and wakes up to find a naked woman trying to get OUT of the room, fiddling with the door. He looks to his side, and yup, his new wife is still out cold right besides him. He just sat there and stared for a minute and the naked girl couldn't figure out the door, so she turned around and started walking towards him. He nudged his new wife and said " wake up honey, youre not going to believe this. Do you see what I'm seeing?

So Karen wakes up with her classic mob wife mentality and yells " WTF is this drunk bitch doing in our room!!?? " Anthony is wondering if he did anything he doesn't remember, and is thinking his 24 hour marriage might just be over already. KAREN GOES BALLISTIC and starts screaming loud enough to wake up the entire hotel.

The poor drunk girl defended herself and explained she is from the adjoining room and got lost while trying to find her bathroom.

:lol::blink:

W

T

F

That's nuts! Did they run into her again? Clothed or otherwise? One of the many reasons I'm not vacationing in Mexico, ever. The big one being that I want to keep my head attached to my neck.

Wow what a mess. Maybe try a small bristle mouth tang, like a Kole.That would end your problems for sure.

It's annoying. I blasted/sucked/scrubbed a lot of it last night because I got fed up. I'm in the process of coming up with a multi-pronged attack plan for it.

The bristle mouth tang isn't a bad idea...but that changes my stocking plans. I had planned on a Yellow Tang and that was it for tangs (in addition to the blue hippo) The yellow is my preference based solely on looks. I've also debated a Desjardini Sailfin instead of the Yellow because they also have been known to chomp on bubble algae/valonia which I'm seeing more of. The problem with Desjardini is that they are bigger, more aggressive, and have similar vertical stripes to the CBB... I worry that may result in mortal combat. The Desjardini will outgrow my tank faster too. Both additions Yellow and Desjardini sound like a recipe for combat too, unless I get them both as 1" babies and Big Blue bosses them around...

Speaking of bubble algae. BLAH! I have a small emerald crab in my nano who wiped out the bubble algae in there. I'm thinking about scooping him out (if i can catch the bugger) and putting him in the 120 and seeing what he does.

Will post more later about hairy brown algae combat plan...

True Honeymoon story!!

I love this thread.

jedimaster1138

More algae related combat plans, feel free to comment...

... clean out my fuge. It's full of debris and hairy algae. It's basically turned into half a turf scrubber except I don't harvest, ever. That's where I had all that rock from my old tank for several months. I removed a lot of it, but not all. My plan is to remove the existing chaeto, mangroves, put them in a temp bucket for a while. Drain the fuge, keep the 2 biggest (and cleanest of algae) rocks in a bucket as well. ShopVac and scrub the walls. Refill with new water, the rocks, and whatever macro looks best, else replace them with a to be made reefcleaners order. This also amounts to a water change of around 10%.

... speaking of water changes, do them more often. The wedding throws a monkey wrench into that, but I still plan on at least 2, preferably 3 changes between now and then. (2 weeks from today) Then twice a week when we get back. Water changes solve a lot of problems.

... Maybe get some emerald crabs from reefcleaners to help out with both the bubble algae / valonia (which is currently minor) and probably the other stuff.

... remove the Phosguard I have now, replace with new stuff, and more of it than last time.

... run carbon again. Getting a dedicated TLF 150 reactor for that. Lucky for me I have a lot of Cobalt MJ pumps and tubing.

... fix up my right side drain line. It has a long horizontal run that I plan to eliminate at least some of. Replace a 90 with a 45 and cut down the length some. Gravity good. Thanks to that Englishman for inventing it.

... replace the volute of my Eheim 1260 return pump with the volute from an Eheim 1262. Fun fact - the 1260 (635 gph) and the 1262 (900) GPH are exactly the same pump, except for one part, the volute. The replacement costs 5$ and turns one into the other. I think the faster turn over through my sump might be a good thing. I'm a big believer in slow sump/tank turn over BUT, I think right now, I'm flowing through too slow. 635 gph, less head height, bends etc... I'd expect MAYBE 350 gph. At 120g display volume...that's maybe 3x an hour flip over. Probably closer to 2x when you also factor in that I have a lot of bends and a T. Jumping to the 900 gph 1262 return has to help some.

... upgrade my skimmer. This is the big one. I've had a lot of discussions with Zeph about this. I had been planning on looking into bio pellets when I set this tank up, among other things. After some discussion, Zephy said something that really stuck with me and I'm running with. BP's might work at reducing nutrients. All the other stuff like Zeo, vodka dosing, sugar, vinegar, peroxide might work at reducing nutrients... all with some side effects, some of the time. Water changes and a monster protein skimmer definitely work at reducing nutrients, with little or no negatives. They also help oxygenate the water, if you get a beast that draws a lot of air.

So I'm looking hard at a monster skimmer. I've considered so far...

Super Reef Octopus 2000

Reef Octopus Open Volute...i forget the model. The ones with the DC pump

Vertex Omega 150

Vertex Alpha 170

Bubble King Mini 180

ATB something or other

Obviously the Bubble King is probably the Ferrari of that crop, with the price tag to go with it. Not sure if it's worth it...I think yes, I haven't ever seen anyone say they suck or who regret spending the $ on it... The new RO Open Volute ones sound good too. I think the Vertex Alpha 170 might be a tad big for my sump chamber...I have to look into that harder.

Silence is important though. My current Reef Octopus NWB 110 is definitely the loudest part of my set up right now. As the tank is right off my living room...silence is key. The Red Dragon pumps that are in the Bubble King's and Alphas are dead quiet and are built like tanks - Abrams tanks.

Open to suggestions on skimmers btw.

PS --- May the Force be with you all

ben-kenobi2.jpg

If you siphon it, how fast does it come back?

jedimaster1138

If you siphon it, how fast does it come back?

Eh...couple days? Maybe a few? Not overnight, that's for sure. Sometimes the spots that I scrub stay clean for an extended period of time, if not permanently. It seems to be running its course in some sections, or something.

jedimaster1138

Drained the fuge. Cleaned it out. All the mangroves were toast, but that was to be expected. A TON of...crud...in the bottom of it along with a ton of hair algae growing on the sides etc. Smelled like fish poo. Yum. Removed all but 2 big pieces of rock...there were some smaller ones that were causing trash collection zones.

Most interesting part though...I put a baseball sized piece of chaeto in there at the end of February. It was the size of a basketball tonight. WHOA. Pruned it majorly. Obviously something is eating my nutrients. And clearly I used the right modules out of my old lights! HAH I wound up using 3 panorama pros... royal blue, royal blue / 12k white combo, and royal blue / magenta combo. Clearly the macro liked it.

I'm going to adopt a clean the crud off the walls of the fuge and probably prune chaeto at least once a month routine.

Didn't get around to changing the return volute or the drain alteration. Maybe tomorrow. AlmostWife has a lot of sewing to do, so it'll be a good day for that.

Doubled the Phosguard in my reactor. Die hairy slimey algae, die!

Took engagement pictures today. Brought prop.

keep-calm-and-carry-a-lightsaber-17.png

jedimasterben

If you want to REALLY make that chaeto explode in growth, throw together a light using a 4:1 ratio of red to blue LEDs, and after that, you'll think that any other light doesn't grow it. :P

jedimaster1138

ZOMG GIANT PHOTO DUMP

beeker5-4-20136_zps600a0bcc.jpg

clownfish5-4-201311_zpsc1e30473.jpg

MAchalice5-4-201312_zps60c4d401.jpg

riddler5-4-201313_zps03a3758e.jpg

Left5-4-201316_zps2608469e.jpg

Right5-4-201315_zps145fe7f3.jpg

bigblue5-4-2013_zps5746b30f.jpg

bigblue5-4-2013_2_zpsc568a828.jpg

juice5-4-20132_zps4181f7d8.jpg

juice5-4-20131_zpsfca41acf.jpg

juice5-4-20133_zps8183a21d.jpg

friends5-4-201310_zps1ce68f98.jpg

friends5-4-20134_zps8431b8fa.jpg

friends5-4-20135_zps4bf5f66a.jpg

beeker5-4-20136_zps600a0bcc.jpg

bigblue5-4-20137_zps4b0273aa.jpg

clams5-4-20138_zpsdab94b52.jpg

juice5-4-20139_zps6abfc30a.jpg

1440copperbandbutteryfly5-3-2013_zps72f3

1440jasonfoxhammer5-3-2013_zps48daf7db.j

I SEE A LITTLE MAXIMA IN THERE!!!!!!! YOU SNEEK!

...or is that the big one and it just looks small from the angle ???

jedimaster1138

I SEE A LITTLE MAXIMA IN THERE!!!!!!! YOU SNEEK!

...or is that the big one and it just looks small from the angle ???

EVIL LAUGH!

From the swap. Puppy Center. They had it in a small bin with a bunch of big derasas and such. It was the diamond in the patch. 50$ and I couldn't resist. He's tiny...maybe 1 1/2" but has an INSANE color and pattern. As you can see I have him near my blue squammie. I was going to put him where the dearly departed Dr. Maxima had been, but AlmostWife pointed out that the blue squammie is doing well over there...why not put them near...so I did. And yeah.

He's wiggled around a little, but is generally stable, I think. Fingers crossed!

Good luck with it!! I hope you beefed up your lighting intensity a little more, or you may be better off putting her up high on the rockwork.

jedimaster1138

Good luck with it!! I hope you beefed up your lighting intensity a little more, or you may be better off putting her up high on the rockwork.

A:75 B:99 now, for 6 hours, then slow ramps in either direction the rest of the day. If that's not enough I don't know what is...i bleached at least 1, possibly 2 acros...

He's also DIRECTLY under one of the LED clusters, which can't hurt.

He actually turns AWAY from the light for part of the day, so he must be getting enough.

jedimasterben

When they turn away, they're usually looking for more light.

Clams contain 15-19e8 zooxanthellae per cm2, whereas most shallow acropora contan 2e8 per cm2. You're fine with what you have now, but if it's a blue clam, I'd consider putting it higher.

jedimaster1138

When they turn away, they're usually looking for more light.

Clams contain 15-19e8 zooxanthellae per cm2, whereas most shallow acropora contan 2e8 per cm2. You're fine with what you have now, but if it's a blue clam, I'd consider putting it higher.

When the lights are peaked, he turns towards the side some, ie away from the sun (lights)

When the lights are slowly ramping down, roughly after 5 pm, he turns more straight up, at the sun (lights)

These are only slight adjustments though. If straight up is 0 degrees, his side tilt is as most, 15 degrees.

I don't argue that he requires a lot of light though.Those are interesting #'s you quoted, do you have a source article? I'm not questioning your figures at all, I'm just a nerd and want to read more :) Last time I flew to Michigan I spent the ENTIRE outbound flight reading this article 10 times. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/10/aafeature It's one of the reasons there are two 160w Maxspect Razors above my tank. It was those or DIY...

Speaking of hungry, I'm hungry as well. To the sandwich store with me.

When the lights are peaked, he turns towards the side some, ie away from the sun (lights)

When the lights are slowly ramping down, roughly after 5 pm, he turns more straight up, at the sun (lights)

These are only slight adjustments though. If straight up is 0 degrees, his side tilt is as most, 15 degrees.

I don't argue that he requires a lot of light though.Those are interesting #'s you quoted, do you have a source article? I'm not questioning your figures at all, I'm just a nerd and want to read more :) Last time I flew to Michigan I spent the ENTIRE outbound flight reading this article 10 times. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/10/aafeature It's one of the reasons there are two 160w Maxspect Razors above my tank. It was those or DIY...

Speaking of hungry, I'm hungry as well. To the sandwich store with me.

Im staying out of this one :scarry:

Speaking of hungry,..Would you believe me if I told you Im on a muffin and protein shake diet ?

Archived