Innovative Marine Aquariums

Jedi's Science Reef

jedimaster1138

jedimasterben

Never the less, the tank looked dark to me,

I can make a light that you will almost not even be able to see, but would make your 400w halides look puny in comparison. ;)

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can make a light that you will almost not even be able to see, but would make your 400w halides look puny in comparison. ;)

When they burry me I will be running halides in my coffin. 10K. :D

jedimaster1138

ok, here we go...

Sorry you lost your clam. You havnt even stated the status of it, but I already know.

Its not the phosguard. Ive kept Dr. mac large Maximas in QT with heavy phosguard for 3 months without a stich. My problems arise when I put them in Berthas tank, but that's another post.

What do I think is your problem ???? First to look at with clams is always light. I know you think your light is super strong, and you know I love you,.... but its not. I know its not at max capacity, and understand why. I know you increased it since I was last there. But last I was, I remember thinking it looked dark to me. I only have this mind set because I'm so used to literally frying them under halides. The fact that it looked great and I'm always the one having problems led me to think maybe you were on to something.

THese large maximas have a very very high metabilc rate, and need far more light then even your most demanding acroporas. Fatheree puts it clearly when he explains that acro only has to support its zooxanthellea, and even it needs very stong light. Clams have to do all of that, plus support kidneys, a stomach and other organs as well. They really need the strongest lighting out of any and all reef creatures. Bar none.

I have kept huge maximas for 6 - 7 months, when I very first set up my big system, before my pinched mantle plague, And Now I am striving to replicate how that system was back then. No carbon, no ozone, and I've always used phosguard.

I also know that....and im going to type this in caps - WATER CHANGES ARE BAD FOR LARGE MAXIMAS. VERY VERY BAD. If your system is already very low in DOC and you do a large water change with new water, it can kill your clams overnight. BEEN THERE DONE THAT. I've had super healthy maximas drop dead from a 50% water change. If your tank is somewhat dirty a water change wont hurt, but let it be said too much of a good thing is a bad thing.

Ready for another Wayne Shang reference ?? Kat knows I cant rant about how to keep clams with out mentioning Wayne. The only man alive I KNOW of that can keep a 700 gal reef tank with around 50 monster grade A maxima clams - NEVER DOES WATER CHANGES EVER EVER EVER. The only time he changes water is to ADD MORE POLUTION from his fish systems. Kat was also telling me about some guy with 18 clams in his SMALL reef tank, and he changed something like 10% ever few months??? something like that.

So take that for whatever its worth. I believe we can keep these big maximas with 10K halide lights, and limiting water changes, and perhaps skipping the carbon/CAG.

I only mentioned the phosguard because it was one of the only things that's changed recently, or at all, other than adding more coral. NO3 has stayed in the 2-3 ppm range and there have been no other changes. So...yeah. In my line of work, I eliminate the obvious first (user error, my boss pushed the wrong button) then go on to the other obvious (HP's hardware drivers and firmware suck whale shark butt) and that solves 99% of my problems.

But I agree with you completely - it had to be light. Now just so you know, that time you were over, the lights weren't at the day's peak, they had already started dimming, and that was probably 15% lower than where I wound up last week. But yeah...the slow not enough light damage had probably already been done. Like you say, it takes week and then it's over. I probably should have either ramped up faster, or waited till I had my lights at a higher steady state before I bought a big clam. I mapped out on paper how I'm going to be ramping my lights to their eventual max. Hopefully I remember to make the changes every day or 2.

I've been a major water change slacker lately. I think I went 3 or 3 1/2 weeks. I kinda want to do more to beat back this stupid algae thing that's happening. But we'll see. My time is limited these days. I need to get back to my routine where I could change 12g of water in 15 minutes including cleaning up the mess. Oh yeah...I haven't been running carbon. Mostly because I'm lazy.

I'll probably buy another aquacultured one if the Doc has one Sunday. PS - yes I'm going - and I'm bringing the AlmostWife! Zeph - do you want to go down there together or something? I plan on leaving at 9 or something close to it depending on MTA moronic-ness. I'm all about the pick of the litter, especially for the acroporas...I have SPS want more twitch going on right now.

PS - yes, the clam is dead. When I removed it a big bristle worm came out with it. GROWL. First thing I'm doing after the honeymoon is obtaining a yellow coris wrasse. Javier was singing their praises to me the other day at MA. He apparently loves his.

jedimasterben

I like the look of the yellow coris wrasse, but one would eat all of my mini feather dusters that are covering my rocks, and that is just not cool.

jedimaster1138

Arrow crab will eat bristle worms, in the meantime you could get a trap, Gotham Aquatics sells it and he is at the swap.

I will have to look into this. Catching them with tweezers isn't that easy. Are arrow crabs completely reef safe?

I like the look of the yellow coris wrasse, but one would eat all of my mini feather dusters that are covering my rocks, and that is just not cool.

My copperband DEMOLISHED the feather duster population in my tank in 24 hours. I think it kept him going that first week or so when he was turning his beak up at frozen food.

The Coris Wrasse seems to have a lot of personality. There was one at MA last time i was there in the nem tank and he was buzzing around and came up to the glass to look at us. I need to read some more, but yeah, cool fish. I like the idea of a natural hunter to keep that population reasonable...and it's cool looking.

Speaking of...I put an emerald crab in my nano, where I also had some bubble algae/valonia. He's definitely been chomping on them. I'm tempted to try to snatch him and put him in the big reef...

jedimaster1138

Yeah...I dislike crabs. They just have that potential to turn into punks.

I'm looking more into these wrasses that are known to hunt bugs and worms. Lots of good info out there. Apparently anything from the Halichoeres genus is great for this sort of thing... Melanurus aka Hoeven's Wrasse, Radiant, or Yellow Coris are supposedly all great. The Melanurus might be the prettiest. Hmm.

Yeah...I dislike crabs. They just have that potential to turn into punks.

I'm looking more into these wrasses that are known to hunt bugs and worms. Lots of good info out there. Apparently anything from the Halichoeres genus is great for this sort of thing... Melanurus aka Hoeven's Wrasse, Radiant, or Yellow Coris are supposedly all great. The Melanurus might be the prettiest. Hmm.

Ive had a melanurus in my 210 for 7 years now. originally got him for flatworms, which he took care of right away. They are awesome.

jedimaster1138

Yeah...very pretty coloration. I saw a story about them poking at clams, but maybe that was just one person's experience. It'll be a 2 horse race between the melarurus and the yellow coris. I'll figure it out after St. Lucia.

Text me what your plans on Sunday! I'm going to the swappie with the lady first thing in the morn....

Yo bro! I have to skip the swap this weekend. I'm on crutches. MRI is in I have officially torn my right quad. Argggg!

Oh god, a quad sounds like a terribly painful thing to tear. Did you tear it doing squats? Now I'm gonna be paranoid the next time I squat..

You squat ???? Awesome!!! everyone needs to squat!!!

Yes, I did. .And it was so loud when it tore my training partners actually HEARD it tear. I've torn my quads 5 times in my life, and its not nearly as bad as tearing something in your upper body. IE, if you tear a bicep you cant do ANY type of training at all...no chest, back shoulders....that would put me into a deep depression. I just cant do legs for a few weeks, but I can live with that and I don't think it will set me back. I have 2 shows coming up. A warm up show in June, and the Biggie - Mr. Olympia in September. All I really care about is the Olympia.

Ive been working with Iris Kyle, and if she doesn't win we are both quitting bodybuilding and becoming couch potatoes. Check this girl out.

msored.jpg

Ps. Thank you for your concern.

Yeah...very pretty coloration. I saw a story about them poking at clams, but maybe that was just one person's experience. It'll be a 2 horse race between the melarurus and the yellow coris. I'll figure it out after St. Lucia.

Text me what your plans on Sunday! I'm going to the swappie with the lady first thing in the morn....

Mine has given new clams a poke or two on the shell, not the mantle... but that's just to clean them off. THen they leave them alone. at least mine does.

How many squats does it take to give me a booty?! I've been running and doing CrossFit since 2008 and I still have no butt! :D

You squat ???? Awesome!!! everyone needs to squat!!!

Yes, I did. .And it was so loud when it tore my training partners actually HEARD it tear. I've torn my quads 5 times in my life, and its not nearly as bad as tearing something in your upper body. IE, if you tear a bicep you cant do ANY type of training at all...no chest, back shoulders....that would put me into a deep depression. I just cant do legs for a few weeks, but I can live with that and I don't think it will set me back. I have 2 shows coming up. A warm up show in June, and the Biggie - Mr. Olympia in September. All I really care about is the Olympia.

Ive been working with Iris Kyle, and if she doesn't win we are both quitting bodybuilding and becoming couch potatoes. Check this girl out.

msored.jpg

Ps. Thank you for your concern.

We're talking about clams, not mussels.

:P

jedimasterben
How many squats does it take to give me a booty?! I've been running and doing CrossFit since 2008 and I still have no butt! :D

Before and after pics. ;)

:lol:

Come on over to my clam cave thread ,I'm feeling guilty for talking about all this all on Joe's thread. Ill respond there ;)

We're talking about clams, not mussels.

:P

Iris is an Ultra super Grade AAA insanely rare hybrid Tri- Maxima !!!! WHat makes her even more interesting is she is as shy as a deresa sitting in a pico.

Actually these may be better

crossfitdeadlift_zpsf7624c81.jpg

ropeclimb_zps680e6822.jpg

I think I must always be in motion. Every pic of me is blurry! :)

NOW THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!!! I love a woman that DEADLIFTS . 115lbs there....not bad!

Iris is an Ultra super Grade AAA insanely rare hybrid Tri- Maxima !!!! WHat makes her even more interesting is she is as shy as a deresa sitting in a pico.

NOW THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!!! I love a woman that DEADLIFTS . 115lbs there....not bad!

145 is my 1RM most recently. I've been slacking but at least it's still above bodyweight. :)

Archived