Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My Atlantis - Wild & Woolly May 2015 Pictures!

eitallent

I don't think there will be much of one.

Paramaters today are the same as yesterday, so, holding steady. There is already a biofilm on all the surfaces of the glass and media baskets.

It feels real slickery. ;)

Wow! Looking nice! Are you expecting much of a cycle in there?

Oops forgot to quote you. Again. <_<:)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think there will be much of one.

Paramaters today are the same as yesterday, so, holding steady. There is already a biofilm on all the surfaces of the glass and media baskets.

It feels real slickery. ;)

Oops forgot to quote you. Again. <_<:)

:lol: No worries. I do like getting the notifications, but I check in pretty often anyway.

Sounds like you won't have much of a cycle then. How long are you going to wait before you transfer everything? I'm trying to decide how long I'll have to wait with this new tank since it will be all dry rock and sand with a bottle of Dr. Tim's. According to the Dr. Tim's its ready to go right away but I don't entirely buy that.

:lol: No worries. I do like getting the notifications, but I check in pretty often anyway.

Sounds like you won't have much of a cycle then. How long are you going to wait before you transfer everything? I'm trying to decide how long I'll have to wait with this new tank since it will be all dry rock and sand with a bottle of Dr. Tim's. According to the Dr. Tim's its ready to go right away but I don't entirely buy that.

Yes, I do not buy it either. When I started the 125 g with dry rock and sand it took about three weeks to get it safe enough to put a fish in. But that is me because as soon as the fish showed any signs of stress I moved them to the nano! :lol: Then I just feed the tank with a small amount of frozen.

Yes, I do not buy it either. When I started the 125 g with dry rock and sand it took about three weeks to get it safe enough to put a fish in. But that is me because as soon as the fish showed any signs of stress I moved them to the nano! :lol: Then I just feed the tank with a small amount of frozen.

Yeah, I worry too and usually want to wait longer than I need to. I'm planning to dump some food in the tank once I get it going and see what happens. Hopefully it will be a quick cycle.

jedimasterben

I'm trying to decide how long I'll have to wait with this new tank since it will be all dry rock and sand with a bottle of Dr. Tim's. According to the Dr. Tim's its ready to go right away but I don't entirely buy that.

As long as the tank is inoculated with enough bacteria (and all filtration is off, like skimmer, mechanical filtration, etc), and it is not overloaded immediately, adding fish immediately is fine. If you do not, then the bacteria will die off, and when you add fish, they will be put through a cycle.

As long as the tank is inoculated with enough bacteria (and all filtration is off, like skimmer, mechanical filtration, etc), and it is not overloaded immediately, adding fish immediately is fine. If you do not, then the bacteria will die off, and when you add fish, they will be put through a cycle.

That seems correct but it always makes me nervous to not wait. But if the bacteria is there and there's no die-off from rock, then it should be ok right? I was planning to feed the bacteria fish food for like a week to make sure its stable and then add the first fish. Maybe I should only wait a a few days...hmmm...

It seems that there is a goodly amount of bacteria in my tank, but it is on the surface of stuff, which is not the anaerobic type that lives in the rock. So I will not have a decent amount of nitrifying bacteria for a while still.

That seems correct but it always makes me nervous to not wait. But if the bacteria is there and there's no die-off from rock, then it should be ok right? I was planning to feed the bacteria fish food for like a week to make sure its stable and then add the first fish. Maybe I should only wait a a few days...hmmm...

I am thinking of putting in the Clowns and Chromis from the fuge tomorrow. I have already moved most of the macros and rocks from the fuge over. I also transferred a small Kenya frag. It is happy. That is a good sign. :)

I will wait on the corals for the weekend, if all goes well. :)

I may wind up moving the fish back to the fuge if I see them stressing too much.

jedimasterben

I would start feeding a week or so before you add the bacteria so that the food can have had a good amount of time to have broken down and get a slight bit of ammonia. Once the bacteria are added, it shouldn't take but a few hours for the ammonia to fall.

It seems that there is a goodly amount of bacteria in my tank, but it is on the surface of stuff, which is not the anaerobic type that lives in the rock. So I will not have a decent amount of nitrifying bacteria for a while still.

The anoxic bacteria are denitrifying, where they break nitrate apart into nitrogen and oxygen, and aren't included in One and Only, only in Waste Away, so if you didn't add that, then you actually do not have a culture of anoxic bacteria going (well, some comes in on corals and such, but not a significant amount).

I am thinking of putting in the Clowns and Chromis from the fuge tomorrow. I have already moved most of the macros and rocks from the fuge over. I also transferred a small Kenya frag. It is happy. That is a good sign. :)

I will wait on the corals for the weekend, if all goes well. :)

I may wind up moving the fish back to the fuge if I see them stressing too much.

Glad to hear the corals seem happy after the move. Let me know how the clowns and chromis do if you move them today.

I would start feeding a week or so before you add the bacteria so that the food can have had a good amount of time to have broken down and get a slight bit of ammonia. Once the bacteria are added, it shouldn't take but a few hours for the ammonia to fall.

The anoxic bacteria are denitrifying, where they break nitrate apart into nitrogen and oxygen, and aren't included in One and Only, only in Waste Away, so if you didn't add that, then you actually do not have a culture of anoxic bacteria going (well, some comes in on corals and such, but not a significant amount).

I'll start dumping in some flake food as soon as the tank has water in it so that it can decay before I pour in the bacteria.

I stuck a piece of the dry rock for this new tank in my main tank to see if it will pick up some bacteria. Don't know if it will get much in like a week, but I figured I'd try that. I'm also going to go get like 3-5 lbs of live rock just to make sure I get the anaerobic bacteria in there that can spread into the dry rock. I'll also move over a handful of sand from one of my other tank. All that plus a bottle of bacteria has to have me covered right?

Glad to hear the corals seem happy after the move. Let me know how the clowns and chromis do if you move them today.

I'll start dumping in some flake food as soon as the tank has water in it so that it can decay before I pour in the bacteria.

I stuck a piece of the dry rock for this new tank in my main tank to see if it will pick up some bacteria. Don't know if it will get much in like a week, but I figured I'd try that. I'm also going to go get like 3-5 lbs of live rock just to make sure I get the anaerobic bacteria in there that can spread into the dry rock. I'll also move over a handful of sand from one of my other tank. All that plus a bottle of bacteria has to have me covered right?

The clowns are loving it. The corals seem to be doing okay but still not as happy as they were in the 12g. Time will tell.

I just finished editing together a movie of the clowns in the new tank and it is exporting now. They are so cute. I stuck some coffee mugs in there so that they have a place to hide if they wanted. They must love the colors! :lol:

As soon as it is up I will post it.

Your plans to incorporate the bacteria in the new tank sound great to me. I did the same with the sand from the 12g.

I like this article alot:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/4/chemistry

I did not know you could get nitrates NITRITES from both directions of the Nitrogen cycle. No wonder nitrites are always an ever present danger.

image_preview_zps548868a4.jpg

Mork and Mindy are doing great. Mindy the big, full barred clown, is in the blue mug for the night. Mork the little mis-barred one, is standing guard (hiding :lol: ) at the rear of the mug.

They are showing no signs of distress. So far so good. I will do more parameter checks in the morning. :)

Good luck!

Thanks, M a r k. :D

M & M are still happy and exploring every inch of their new home. I am surprised how much they love the mugs! :lol:

Cool on the transfer, yet another awesome tank!!!!

Thanks, Spiro. :)

I thought that the big tank would take over my attention, but there is nothing like a Nano! :D

Glad to see the transfer is going so well. The clowns look happy and are very cute with those coffee mugs :)

agreed 100%

Thank you, Felicia and Glaceon!

So all is transferred. I have not seen the emerald crabs but everything is looking good. Skipper, Marty, Mork & Mindy and One of Seven are all playing nice exploring all the new nooks and tunnels. :)

I took some video. I am cobbling it together and will post it tonight if I get the chance.

The light situation is a bit messy. I still have the JBJ 12g hood on top of the canopy. I am unsure how to go with those lights. Should I add more panorama pros on there or go with a completely different unit? I want to light the fuge side seperately. I still have my disco lights in the fuge with the air stone. It looks very pretty at night when the house is dark.

The fish and corals party all night long in the colorful glow of those lights. :D

I had hubby help me install two small Blacknoise PC fans in the back of the canopy. However we decided to make them unplug-able so I can remove the canopy off the tank with out wires hanging on the back. So the wiring is temporary until we get the plugs we ordered from Amazon.The temperature dropped from 82.5 to 78.5 with the fans going! :) Really, that is great results.

So far so good! Weeeeeeee! :D:happy:

The Nano and it's equipment have been scrubbed in vinegar and it looks like new. Hubby wants it for his office! Woo Hoo! Mwahahahaaaaaa! Another helpless victim falls prey to this salty addiction. :bowdown:

before

IMG_0003-L.jpg

Now

IMG_0002-XL.jpg

IMG_0006-XL.jpg

Thanks, Felicia! :)

You will not regret getting a Citrinis goby. They are such characters and easy keepers. :D

September baby! It is going to be a great holiday season for you guys. :)

OMG look at that tank!! I can't wait to see filled out :D

Oh yeah September will be an awesome month. Now, we'll just have to try to time baby #2 to not fall in September. Not sure if that'll actually work though LOL

OMG look at that tank!! I can't wait to see it in a month or so :D

Oh yeah September will be an awesome month. Now, we'll just have to try to time baby #2 to not fall in September. Not sure if that'll actually work though LOL

Oh, tailes! I love how you are already planning ahead. :) Good for you!

I can't wait to show you guys my video. I am really happy with how the tank looks with the rocks on the back glass. Talk about great surface area. Plus it is pretty. :happy:

I can't wait to see this video! I really love how this tank looks and can't wait to see it with all the inhabitants!

Also, I really love that your husband is getting the reef bug :lol:

Oh, and as for lighting, I vote for a Maxspect Razor Nano :D

Archived