Top Shelf Aquatics

My Atlantis - Wild & Woolly May 2015 Pictures!

eitallent

Right, Felicia. Now that they are both together the old ways are back. Zag the bigger of the two chases Zig the smaller one around the tank often. I put Zig in first hoping that would help him establish dominance but it did not work. I hope that since I feed a lot Zig will get enough to eat. I may have to get more BNGs so that the aggression is spread around and not focused just on Zig.

IDK. What do you all think?

That's too bad that you're seeing the aggression even in the larger tank. My larger goby sometimes chases my smaller one for a few seconds, but they both seem to get plenty to eat and the small one doesn't seem too harassed. I've seen a lot of mixed things about how to keep multiples. I have seen some sources that say that they do well in groups. I also saw somewhere that you could have 1 per 25 gallons. Maybe since your tank is so big, you should try adding one or two more gobies and see if the group dynamic helps at all. I'm not sure though. Hopefully someone else has some input.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's too bad that you're seeing the aggression even in the larger tank. My larger goby sometimes chases my smaller one for a few seconds, but they both seem to get plenty to eat and the small one doesn't seem too harassed. I've seen a lot of mixed things about how to keep multiples. I have seen some sources that say that they do well in groups. I also saw somewhere that you could have 1 per 25 gallons. Maybe since your tank is so big, you should try adding one or two more gobies and see if the group dynamic helps at all. I'm not sure though. Hopefully someone else has some input.

Yes, you are right about the group dynamic. Thanks for you thoughts.

Yes, you are right about the group dynamic. Thanks for you thoughts.

No one can say for sure what will happen, but I think that your intuit about adding multiples to change the group dynamics is a good one. You certainly have the space in this aquarium.

A brief update on MyAtlantis.

all the corals and fish are doing very well recently. The water is crystal clear with the new carbon bag. The dKH remains stable at 8.5. the pH is still on the low side so I have a CO2 scrubber in the works. :)

The macros in the fuge are growing nicely. I transferred all the Lettuce nudis into the nano fuge. The one nudi in the nano fuge was staying fat and plump while the ones in the macro grow-out tank were getting smaller. I think the nutrients in the nano helps grow the kind of algae they like to eat. Plus they are partially photosynthetic as well and the light in the nano fuge is better than in the macro grow out tank.

Here are some pictures from today. :)

IMG_0175-XL.jpg

IMG_0166-XL.jpg

IMG_0167-XL.jpg

IMG_0176-XL.jpg

IMG_0177-XL.jpg

IMG_0179-XL.jpg

IMG_0183-XL.jpg

IMG_0187-XL.jpg

Stunning! Its looks so lush and natural in there. I really like that macro that looks like a palm. Its on the far left in the last photo. What is that?

Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous! And, your aquarium is just lovely, great job!

Thank you and thank you! :D

Stunning! Its looks so lush and natural in there. I really like that macro that looks like a palm. Its on the far left in the last photo. What is that?

Thank you. :)

That is Caulerpa mexicana. It is is great because it grows very fast and it is beautiful. You have to be aggressive in removing it from the tank frequently to keep it in check. I have read that it has been known to go sexual which would spread it to places you may not want. Nothing in my tank eats it. Caulerpa mexicana may be restricted in California (I have read this on sites that sell it and will not ship it to Cali.).

So I have my CO2 scrubber installed (for two days now). The pH is now up from 7.6 to 7.7 in the AM and 7.8 to 7.9 in the PM. So far it is not too much of an improvement. I will continue to monitor it. I guess every little bit helps.

The alkalinity has dropped a little from 8.8 to 7.9 measured with a Red Sea test. I am doing a water change tomorrow.

I measured the pH on the last 15 g of my stored (2 weeks) salt water and it is at 7.56. :unsure: I think I will store RODI water in the Brute 32g bucket an mix up the salt water as I need it. It initially mixes at pH 8.

Here are some pics I took today.

Skipper is glued to the glass. :)

IMG_0001-X2.jpg

In the corner

IMG_0008-X2.jpg

Sunshine!

IMG_0010-X2.jpg

Pretty purple tips

IMG_0012-X2.jpg

I cannot get any macro shots from the front. I hate that the bow front distorts the pictures. :angry: I will never get another bow front!

IMG_0018-X2.jpg

IMG_0023-X2.jpg

IMG_0027-X2.jpg

I need a clear panel fuge!

IMG_0019-X2.jpg

IMG_0020-X2.jpg

IMG_0021-X2.jpg

I hear you about the bowfront. Looks so good from a distance but terrible for close up photos. Latest pics look fantastic, tank looks like a lot of fun to watch.

I hear you about the bowfront. Looks so good from a distance but terrible for close up photos. Latest pics look fantastic, tank looks like a lot of fun to watch.

I agree about the bowfront, Mark. The nano is wonderful and I like how it is all growing in.

BTW everyone if you want to see a few farm pics and you do not follow my Caribbean tank thread here is the link to the pics.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/319103-a-caribbean-castle-made-of-sand-mm-blenny-spawned-razors-125g-diy-lr/?p=4376580

CO2 Scrubber has kicked in!

The pH this morning is 8.11. :) That is the first time ever that it has gone above 7.9.

The alkalinity is at dKH 7.8

Calcium is a 550 ppm

So I am no longer happy with the DYI fuge. I cannot see through to the plants and it has proved its usefulness. So I want to keep a fuge but I want to see into it.

I bought a 34 gallon 30" x 18" x 16" Perfecto and will make it into AIO with a roomy fuge. :)

I will take six inches from the back to make a fuge that is 18" long. The other 12" I will use for media, skimmer (maybe) and pump.

Here is what I had in mind. I am asking for constructive comments please! :)

newnano3_zpsfd9eb812.jpg

Hi E.

Maybe it is the perspective of the drawing you posted but i was confused. On the new fuge, the baffles seem very far apart. Your return section is the left of the tank right? Then the baffles should be to the left of the back chamber, just before where the return pump would be.

Hi E.

Maybe it is the perspective of the drawing you posted but i was confused. On the new fuge, the baffles seem very far apart. Your return section is the left of the tank right? Then the baffles should be to the left of the back chamber, just before where the return pump would be.

Hi, Kat.

My intention is to have the water from the DT flow into the fuge (the space on the right LEFT) and feed the macros, pods, etc. then fall into the floss/media (chamber in the middle) and then into the last chamber on the right where the return pump is housed.

I have scoped out a inTank media basket that would fit in the middle chamber.

What do you think about that; would it work?

Okay so how would it fall into the middle chamber? The openings are to the left and right of the fuge portion.

The way I see it (and I'm not too good at these sump things) the water coming in will fill the middle chamber and exit back into the DT. The water that flows into the fuge area won't be that much because of the pump having ready access to incoming water rather than working harder to pull water from the fuge.

This plan works just fine if you want to have a low flow area in the fuge to allow macros to absorb the nutrients.

The opening into the fuge from the display on the left will be at a higher level than the baffle going into the media chamber. I am relying on gravity ​ (well really the pump will push the water out to the DT) to move the water down to the pump chamber. This is my first attempt at SketchUp so my opening height and baffle height are not precise.

newnano3left_zpsaf047fae.jpg

The opening into the fuge from the display on the left will be at a higher level than the baffle going into the media chamber. I am relying on gravity to move the water down to the pump. This is my first attempt at SketchUp so my opening height and baffle height are not precise.

newnano3left_zpsaf047fae.jpg

I see it. It looks like the return pump will still get the water quicker from the incoming flow up over the baffle and all. Unless the return hole from the fuge is lower allowing water to fall into the return pump chamber faster. I hope somebody else chimes in before I make a fool of myself.

If you had the return pump in the middle chamber and the floss/media in the right chamber the water flow would benefit your fuge area. In from the left, out into the fuge, pulled into the right chamber where there is media, pulled to the middle over baffles to stop bubbles and back to the DT. This way everybody in the fuge gets a chance to have at the nutrients before it goes to media and back to the DT.

I see it. It looks like the return pump will still get the water quicker from the incoming flow up over the baffle and all. Unless the return hole from the fuge is lower allowing water to fall into the return pump chamber faster. I hope somebody else chimes in before I make a fool of myself.

If you had the return pump in the middle chamber and the floss/media in the right chamber the water flow would benefit your fuge area. In from the left, out into the fuge, pulled into the right chamber where there is media, pulled to the middle over baffles to stop bubbles and back to the DT. This way everybody in the fuge gets a chance to have at the nutrients before it goes to media and back to the DT.

Sweet idea. I am going to fill it and play with it before I glue it all up. :D

This will be fun. Now the clowns, Mork and Mindy, and the Chromis, One-of-Seven, in the current fuge will be able to play with Skipper and Marty in a bigger DT!

MOAR CAT PICS PLEASE!

Isn't she a cutie? That is Toolu. She was born on our farm on a very cold winter's day in a bale of hay in the hay barn. Her beautiful mamma, Lulu was anonymously dropped off here skinny but pregnant. :( We fixed her up with food and shelter. Although, Lulu was friendly she never would come in the house. She disappeared one afternoon and I assumed she built a nest somewhere. The family fanned out to look for her the next morning. We spotted her and she led us to her nest. We found her kittens in the hay barn and moved them to the back deck in a mamma kitty shelter. She moved them two or three times back to the barn. We kept bringing them back to the shelter and she finally gave in and raised them there. :)

Toolu's face is just like Lulu hence the name. :)

can't use the little dudes at work but omgomgomg running in circles!

:lol:

What little dudes? I am missing something... :)

Also, hubby announced this morning that after we do the AIO 34g nano he will be tanking the 12 g nano to set up in his office at work!

:wub:

That's such a sweet story and such a cute cat. :) Also, I'm excited to see this new fuge set-up some together!

Thank you. We like her a lot! (understatement)

Unlike her mamma, Toolu prefers to stay in doors. She asks to go out only once in a while. I think she sometimes sees something out through the window that calls to her! :lol:

I am so eager to get it all together, but so scared too! I will be very extra careful for Skipper, Marty, Mork & Mindy and One-of-seven sakes.

Mr. Microscope

CO2 Scrubber has kicked in!

The pH this morning is 8.11. :) That is the first time ever that it has gone above 7.9.

The alkalinity is at dKH 7.8

Calcium is a 550 ppm

Woohoo! I just replaced my media last night for the first time. It seemed to last a month and a half for me. Good luck!

Archived