Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My Atlantis - Wild & Woolly May 2015 Pictures!

eitallent

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
albertthiel

Thank you Albert! :) Duncans are a great coral. I enjoy them very much.

I would like to share with all of you my new phytoplankton culturing station.

I set this up on Monday past.

The culture is becoming darker green or more opaque. You cannot see through the liquid at all. It will be ready to split on Sunday.

Here is a close look at the stopper with the rigid tubing. I have one short segment of tubing to allow air exchange.

A green bubbly brew...

Looking good and nicely on the way for plenty of pods coming soon with that photo, or feed directly should be good for the tank too ... Nice set up

Eventually I'll get around to it :)

Yeah, your tank is doing so well any way it does not really need it.

Looking good and nicely on the way for plenty of pods coming soon with that photo, or feed directly should be good for the tank too ... Nice set up

Thank you, Albert. I fed phyto to both the nano and the 125 g yesterday. I think it will help with the dusters and pod populations in the tank. :)

albertthiel

Yeah, your tank is doing so well any way it does not really need it.

Thank you, Albert. I fed phyto to both the nano and the 125 g yesterday. I think it will help with the dusters and pod populations in the tank. :)

Yes indeed it will and you are right about the Dusters they need it or they do not last for very long and lose their crown and then crawl out of their tube if they do not get enough micro particle food they can trap ...

Yesterday, Marty the Sixline did not show up for breakfast. He is a good eater and he is never late for a meal! I looked in the back chambers, in the rocks, behind the rocks and with a flashlight. No Marty. I decide to remove the rocks and since it was water changing day for the nano I had water enough to store the rocks. I certainly did not want to leave a dead fish in such a small tank fearing an ammonia spike. I removed all but the two biggest rocks. Still no Marty, dead or alive.

I was about to remove the big rocks too when on a hunch I decided to look one more time in the back chambers. Well lo and behold, there he was all scared and scrunched into a corner of the sponge chamber. "Marty what in the world are you doing back here, you pesky fish!" I said out loud. Hubby shook his head as he often does when I start talking to my uncomprehending fish! :lol:

Since I had most everything out of the tank anyway I created a particle storm by fluffing, stirring and blasting the sand, nooks and crannies of the live rock. I hooked up the canister filter and continued blasting and stirring to get as much detritus I could out of the tank. Skipper would have sworn that he was in a dust storm in the desert had it not been for the fact that it was too wet to be a desert.

I glued up some corals and moved the location of several rocks and now all is clean and sparkly. All is well in MyAtlantis and Marty ate a good lunch. :happy:

albertthiel

Yesterday, Marty the Sixline did not show up for breakfast. He is a good eater and he is never late for a meal! I looked in the back chambers, in the rocks, behind the rocks and with a flashlight. No Marty. I decide to remove the rocks and since it was water changing day for the nano I had water enough to store the rocks. I certainly did not want to leave a dead fish in such a small tank fearing an ammonia spike. I removed all but the two biggest rocks. Still no Marty, dead or alive.

I was about to remove the big rocks too when on a hunch I decided to look one more time in the back chambers. Well lo and behold, there he was all scared and scrunched into a corner of the sponge chamber. "Marty what in the world are you doing back here, you pesky fish!" I said out loud. Hubby shook his head as he often does when I start talking to my uncomprehending fish! :lol:

Since I had most everything out of the tank anyway I created a particle storm by fluffing, stirring and blasting the sand, nooks and crannies of the live rock. I hooked up the canister filter and continued blasting and stirring to get as much detritus I could out of the tank. Skipper would have sworn that he was in a dust storm in the desert had it not been for the fact that it was too wet to be a desert.

I glued up some corals and moved the location of several rocks and now all is clean and sparkly. All is well in MyAtlantis and Marty ate a good lunch. :happy:

Interesting indeed ... happens often, some fish seem to just like to get into where we do not want them and then we get all upset trying to figure out where they are ...

Not long ago I found a mushroom in the floss of my HOB ... and to get there it had to get through the very narrow slits in the uptake tube and then through the pump and up into the HOB ... and go figure how all of that happened but eve more interesting the S'room was in fine shape and is now back in the tank and looking better than ever ...

Guess with all what you did you cleaned up the tank of a lot of detritus at the same time ... and that is obviously a +

So maybe the six-line was a real clever one and telling you "Hey Mrs ...come and look for me and clean up that thank will you, I don't like all that detritus in it " :-0 just kidding but glad you found him and that he is is doing OK I guess and is not depressed and will need Prozac to get over being depressed from being in that compartment :-o

Albert

P.S. Check this if you have not seen it ... it's a "plug" for the book so up to you whether you go there or not ... for all who read the posts here ... http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/305180-the-official-ask-albert-thiel-thread/?p=4299665

It's for a special on the e-version ... Do not read if not interested ... and sorry for stealing a space on your thread eitallent .. It is a special offer so I am trying to let everybody know that is if they are interested. Don't click through if you are not ... Tks

Albert, He certainly got more than he bargained for in the spring cleaning! :lol:

I do not mind at all that you share news of your book and thread. It is important to share good, sound knowledge to help the hobby flourish.

:)

albertthiel

Albert, He certainly got more than he bargained for in the spring cleaning! :lol:

I do not mind at all that you share news of your book and thread. It is important to share good, sound knowledge to help the hobby flourish.

:)

Yes he sure did ... what an expedition/experience that was for yours and mine (the S'hroom).

And thanks for the ok ... I posted it on my thread ... and on my FB page ... and on the FB group on nano reefs.

Have a nice rest of the WE ... well I guess it is nearly over ...

Thanks

Testing, testing, 1...2...3...

Temp 76 F :: pH 7.94 :: SG 1.0235 :: Ca 470 :: dKH 10.5 :: Mg 1400

All seems to be doing well. The fish are fat and content. The corals look alright. I am waiting to see if the improved lighting will repair the two to three weeks they spent under the stunners only. The Emeralds are keeping the rocks tidy and clean.

I have a question about the Frogspawn and Hammer corals. It seems that the FS colony is getting smaller since I got them about five months ago. I feel the HC is also shrinking a bit. However the baby hammer is growing fine. It may be just my imagination and the other corals are growing so that the Froggy may just look smaller by comparison. The flow seems moderate to me in that they do not show skeleton and are not moving violently. I feed them along with everything else. When I was doing the water change I noticed little pieces of FS or HC sticking to the Montipora. I read they split off pieces of tentacles as a way to reproduce. Has this happened to anyone reading this?

Anyone have any tips on Frogspawn and Hammer corals?

Could it be the light switcheroo that is upsetting the LPS????? Cute baby you have there :D

Sooooo glad Marty is ok!!!!!

I am hoping that with the new light all will be better. :mellow:

I am so relieved that he is ALIVE! :)

It is a new page. Here is a video FTS! :) There is only a slight alteration in the rocks behind the arch. I also glued up some of the things that were on the sand. Skipper stays above the fray while Marty and Zig get into a little kerfuffle.

TY Gena! :happydance: I love it when you shower praises on the nano.

I saved the best picture for last. I am amazed at the detail of these little creatures. They are so delicate and mesmerizing. :wub:

Hello, fisheeeeees!

IMG_0022_zps87340925.jpg

Nooo! Don't take my picture I am shy! Bye.

IMG_0029_zps31f1bb76.jpg

What? You want to take my picture??

IMG_0026_zps6b696e1f.jpg

HOW is this?

IMG_0028_zps03909b1e.jpg

No, no, WAIT! This pose is better! I didn't have my pecs flexed in the last pose...

IMG_0027_zps9fc2111b.jpg

Everything looks great! I'm kinda jealous because I can't grow zoas to save my life. Maybe in this ten gallon....

Archived