Coral Vue Hydros

My Atlantis - Wild & Woolly May 2015 Pictures!

eitallent

Woohoo! I just replaced my media last night for the first time. It seemed to last a month and a half for me. Good luck!

I read that on your thread this morning. That is a good long time. :)

My media has just started turning purple in the first two or three rows of pellets. I may have more CO2 in the house than you; what with four adults, two indoor cats, several in-out cats, a doggie and a tortoise. :D

We are constantly oiling our door hinges because we frequently go in and out, let pets out and in again, etc. I would think that would let in some fresh air. In the spring and fall we use an attic fan to bring in sweet country air through open windows. But come to think of it I cook and heat with natural gas and I have read that produces CO2 build up in the house. Oh well!

Even the SW stored in my 32 gallon bin has a pH issue. Here is what I posted to the water chemistry forum for ideas and suggestions.

What is the safe amount of time to store salt water after you mix it?

The reason I ask is that I found a large pH drop in my stored SW.

I mixed up a batch of RSCP in my 32 gallon Brute bin as the instructions specify with RODI. The alkalinity, calcium and pH were all at appropriate levels for the salinity I mixed . Even though I mixed it just as instructed I still get the thick white precipitate on the sides and bottom of the bin and on the power head, but the water itself is clear (after the precipitate settles). If I agitate the water again the precipitate clouds up the water.

I have been using it to do small water changes for my 12 g and 125 g tanks. After two and a half weeks I had 10 gallons of the mixed SW in the Brute so I measured the pH to see if there was any change and it had dropped from 8.1 to 7.6.

I am not sure what is causing the drop in pH. Today I did the full foundation measurements on the remaining stored water and found that all the levels have dropped.

Carefully measured with Red Sea Foundation test kit (vials and syringes cleaned), stop watch, a calibrated lab grade pH meter and calibrated hydrometer:

Temp 76.4o F

Salinity 35 ppt (hydrometer & adjusted for temp.)

Ca 360ppm according to RSCP salt it should be 455 - 475 ppm

Alk. 10.9 dKH (3.9 Meq/L) should be 12.3 - 12.7 dKH

Mg 1320 ppm should be 1360 - 1420 ppm

pH 7.58 should be 8.2 - 8.4

Today I mixed a new batch of RSCP salt in four gallons. Let the water sit for two hours and took measurements:

Temp 77.2o F

Salinity 35 ppt (hydrometer & adjusted for temp.)

Ca 440 ppm

Alk. 14.30 dKH

Mg 1400

pH 8.0

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. Microscope

I read that on your thread this morning. That is a good long time. :)

My media has just started turning purple in the first two or three rows of pellets. I may have more CO2 in the house than you; what with four adults, two indoor cats, several in-out cats, a doggie and a tortoise. :D

We are constantly oiling our door hinges because we frequently go in and out, let pets out and in again, etc. I would think that would let in some fresh air. In the spring and fall we use an attic fan to bring in sweet country air through open windows. But come to think of it I cook and heat with natural gas and I have read that produces CO2 build up in the house. Oh well!

Even the SW stored in my 32 gallon bin has a pH issue. Here is what I posted to the water chemistry forum for ideas and suggestions.

Geeze, that's a lot of traffic. Interesting how your stored water drops it's pH an other parameters, especially Ca. I wonder if the pH drop is causing it to precipitate out somehow.

BTW, new avatar pic?

Eitallent.jpg

Geeze, that's a lot of traffic. Interesting how your stored water drops it's pH an other parameters, especially Ca. I wonder if the pH drop is causing it to precipitate out somehow.

BTW, new avatar pic?

That is what my Hubby the chemist seems to think also. :)

I will store the RODI in the 32 g bin and make the SW as I need it. That is the only solution I can think of.

Great idea about the avatar picture!

That is what my Hubby the chemist seems to think also. :)

I will store the RODI in the 32 g bin and make the SW as I need it. That is the only solution I can think of.

Great idea about the avatar picture!

I've always been told to let the water sit overnight with circulation to mix completely before using it. I also see changes to my water parameters within a few hours of mixing it; but they don't change measurably after that for me over the three weeks it takes me to use up the water.

jedimasterben

I've always been told to let the water sit overnight with circulation to mix completely before using it. I also see changes to my water parameters within a few hours of mixing it; but they don't change measurably after that for me over the three weeks it takes me to use up the water.

Some salts yes, some salts no. RSCP is made to be mixed for a couple of hours, then kept unstirred and unheated until use.

The way to tell if a salt mix is ready is clarity - if the water is not perfectly clear, the ammonia in the salt mix has not dissipated into the air yet and it is not ready to use.

Some salts yes, some salts no. RSCP is made to be mixed for a couple of hours, then kept unstirred and unheated until use.

The way to tell if a salt mix is ready is clarity - if the water is not perfectly clear, the ammonia in the salt mix has not dissipated into the air yet and it is not ready to use.

I have just started on a new RSCP salt bucket. I made sure to mix the contents really well before use too. The small batch I made had no precipitate and was completely clear after half an o=hour of mixing. I let it sit for two hours before measuring the levels. It all seemed okay after the WC. So far so good.

Thank you for the info and suggestions guys and gals.

For a change of pace...

Sylvie's Human says, "Hey, Sylvie."

IMG_0049-XL.jpg

Sylvie: "Hey."

IMG_0047-XL.jpg

Human: "You've got something under your eye."

Sylvie: "Oh no I don't!"

IMG_0052-XL.jpg

"See?"

IMG_0070-XL.jpg

New and improved Deluxe Apartment for Skipper and friends.

The volume is bigger for the fuge in this than the previous design ( 10 g vs. 6 g). The left chamber in the back fits an inTank media basket. The one in the middle fits a skimmer. The pump will be place in the chamber on the right adjacent to the fuge and the flow split to feed the DT and the fuge. Then the water from the fuge will spill into the DT. The disadvantage to this flow of water is the macroalgae in the fuge do not get dirty water. However the positive aspect is the the fuge will feed pods into the DT.

new%20nano%202-X2.jpg

The volume is bigger for the fuge in this than the previous design ( 10 g vs. 6 g). The left chamber in the back fits an inTank media basket. The one in the middle fits a skimmer. The pump will be place in the chamber on the right adjacent to the fuge and the flow split to feed the DT and the fuge. Then the water from the fuge will spill into the DT. The disadvantage to this flow of water is the macroalgae in the fuge do not get dirty water. However the positive aspect is the the fuge will feed pods into the DT.

new%20nano%202-X2.jpg

I like how you don't need to worry about leaks from plumbing outside of your tank and I think that having the water flow out of your sump like that is a great idea for getting pods into the DT without the blender effect. I can imagine myself trying to build something like this in the future.

I like how you don't need to worry about leaks from plumbing outside of your tank and I think that having the water flow out of your sump like that is a great idea for getting pods into the DT without the blender effect. I can imagine myself trying to build something like this in the future.

Thank you! :)

I find it very appealing to maintain the water flow internally. I love display fuges so this fuge will have to be pretty since it will be a prominent part of the display.

I hope you will try it too. I will keep posting pictures and documenting my progress.

I am very nervous about the transfer of the LR and sand causing a mini-cycle. Hopefully, all will go as it should. fingerscrossed

I love your Cow Kitty! Their so sweet aren't they!

Exciting @ the sump so cool.

I know! I am very excited. I am going to take my time and do things right.

Awww, Sylvie is so cute! She's got very pretty green eyes :)

Sylvie says,"I know!"

Thank you. We love her. She disappeared for a few days and so now we are keeping her in. all the other kitties are content to stay in the fenced yard. But, not her. Sylvie finds every possible weed seed to get into her fur. Well, now she just has to deal with the litter box and indoor toys. :lol:

Such a cute Kitty. Are you posting different kitties in different threads you trickster?

Thank you, Kat. Yes. I am posting different kitties in the different threads! Hee, hee. :D

Toolu said," Goodnight all and turn the lights out when you leave."

IMG_0010-XL.jpg

jedimasterben

Why not skip the dedicated refugium and simply have the tank be macro-dominated? That would look really awesome!

Why not skip the dedicated refugium and simply have the tank be macro-dominated? That would look really awesome!

Hi, Ben. I hope you are having a great weekend!

I love macros too and I will have them in the display part with the corals and fish. But I also want a pod haven. There are some algaes that are so delicious the snails and crabs won't leave them alone so the y have to have a place of their own. Also, If a fish it is not eating or is being bullied I have a place to feed and strengthen it.

Hi, Ben. I hope you are having a great weekend!

I love macros too and I will have them in the display part with the corals and fish. But I also want a pod haven. There are some algaes that are so delicious the snails and crabs won't leave them alone so the y have to have a place of their own.

I've been thinking about doing this in the overflow area. But I have a feeling it may be too small for any real impact. I really need to plumb with PVC and add a 5g fuge that overflows into the skimmer area.

Pics are great btw. Looks like your going to need more space pretty soon. Can u get a pic of the monti cap from the top? I can't tell what color it is. I'm somewhat addicted to monti caps...

I've been thinking about doing this in the overflow area. But I have a feeling it may be too small for any real impact. I really need to plumb with PVC and add a 5g fuge that overflows into the skimmer area.

Pics are great btw. Looks like your going to need more space pretty soon. Can u get a pic of the monti cap from the top? I can't tell what color it is. I'm somewhat addicted to monti caps...

Thank you for the kind words. :)

I will have to take a picture for you. It is in a weird place where the lights reflect on the surface of the water. It is a green/tan color. It was really green under the PC lights but when I had the stunners only on there the color faded and has not come back since the LED upgrade. When I originally got it from a friend it was totally brown.

I like getting bungs that don't look so good and waiting months until they look better than anything in the shops. Usually though I don't have the space. Need a larger tank to hold a frag rack.

new%20nano%202-X2.jpg

Sooo exciting!!! :happydance:

I love the new avatar picture too!!! :)

Thanks Gena! I am excited.

The avatar was suggested by Mr. Microscope. He has a good eye!

Hubby just asked if I wanted a stand for the new tank rather that on the kitchen counter. I like where it is now because it is view-able from several areas in the house. I will have to figure out a way to move the existing tank over, get the new tank on the counter and level.

This is my plan. I think I will take most of the water out of the nano and the fuge to slide it down the counter. Then place the new tank on the counter, level it, transfer the rocks from the nano, catch Skipper and the crew into holding containers, transfer the sand from the nano, add newly mixed and existing nano SW 50/50 to the new tank, transfer the macro, acclimate the fish and finally take pics and post!

Sounds easy doesn't it? ;)

Currently I am waiting on the media basket and new pump to arrive so that I can make the templates for the back wall, baffles and fuge side wall. I want to get the placement of the opening into the media basket right. I also want to plan the plumbing and placement of the nozzles into the DT and fuge correctly. I am having the glass cut by professional glass cutters. fingerscrossed

Any one have a suggestion for a cover for this tank? It is a 30" x 18" x 16". Marty is a jumper so I have to have one.

How about a netting?

I like that idea ... I am wondering about the cat fur that may get in there and poor Skipper will be coughing up hair balls. :lol:

I will have to look up something that is clear so the light can get through. I know I have seen a thread with a clear net cover, I just cannot remember who. Was it Jordon?

Found it. It is Jordon's Nitoralis thread. Beautiful cover.

jedimasterben

I like that idea ... I am wondering about the cat fur that may get in there and poor Skipper will be coughing up hair balls. :lol:

I will have to look up something that is clear so the light can get through. I know I have seen a thread with a clear net cover, I just cannot remember who. Was it Jordon?

Home Depot sells black bird netting. Pair that with some window screen frame and spline, and boom. You can also spraypaint the frame black to match the trim of the tank and you'll never see it and it won't affect the light penetration.

Home Depot sells black bird netting. Pair that with some window screen frame and spline, and boom. You can also spraypaint the frame black to match the trim of the tank and you'll never see it and it won't affect the light penetration.

Brilliant! :)

Archived