Top Shelf Aquatics

Got my BC29 today......

TEALCOBRA

Thanks for the info. I just ordered the new pump. I also made a trip to the LFS. They just got in a shipment of new stuff. I added a cleaner shrimp and a Lawnmower Blenny. The LFS recommended him to help control the hair algae that I have cropping up. He is really a lawnmower becuase he has been chowing down since he hit the tank.

Thanks again.

One other question. What do you recommend for mounting the HydorFlo to the LineLoc tubing? Can you use regular super glue or should uyou use some sort of epoxy. I would be nervous about super glue and what effect it may have on the water.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just used regular super glue for mine and gave it plenty of time to dry.... havent had any issues with it and its been in there for weeks now. :)

I just went straight across from the line that was put there by oceanic.... It's not really lowering the line, allowing more water through it, its just widening it to allow the flow to be more spread out (and allowing more water through faster...)

In addition to doing this (which worked well), I cut a small strip (1.5" x 4") out of a plastic coffee can lid, and wedged it in front of the newly cut dam. Now, by moving it up and down (friction fit), you can easily adjust the level in the tank +/- about 1/2 inch.

Hey Teal, Im just getting to my "Y" attachment now is it going to be a lot harder now to attach it now that theres water in it. I was thinking I missed the chance to put that on and I should just go with the hydor flo? Any input.

Not at all, just pull the stock piece off the wall and work on it outside of the tank.... you just wont be able to direct the return water anywhere...

Just pull it off the wall. I just did mine yesterday. You definately have to sant the fitting that comes off the wall to get the Y to fit. I then used three pieces of locline per side. I used the rubber grommet that is supplied with the Hydro flo to attach it to the loc line. I just used some super glue to attach the gromment to the loc line and then slipped the hydro flo on. It is all working great.

Okay so I understand I bought the loc-line Y connector, some hose pcs. and two flare ends. If I pull the stock flare off of the tube on the tank, does the new loc-line Y connector have to be sanded on the ID to fit the OD of the tube on the tank? And does the stock Flare become an extra pc. at that point?

I have ordered a 150w MH kit.... should be here the beginning of next week. FINALLY I'll be able to try to get that new hood going. I also have another tank part itself, which Im going to be looking into drilling and building a nice fuge thatll fit into the stock stand.... we will see if I can pull it off though. :D

Tealcobra - this has been a super helpful thread. I have been lurking the forum for a while but, up until now, have yet to post. Based upon all of the research I did, I setup a BC 29 a month ago and followed with many of the mods you have documented. I will probably stay with the Tunze skimmer though, and am looking at doing an ATO solution to keep the water level as constant as possible. Anyway, keeping a close eye on your hood and lighting mods and your fuge/sump experiment. Keep up all of the pioneering good work.

It definitely figures that an SVT Cobra owner would be leading the modding efforts - it's in the DNA :) I am part of that club as well - 2004 Redfire vert - modded of course.

I will be keeping tabs and hope to make some contributions of my own.

Cheers - Tony

Well, my MH lighting should be here today, until then, its been awhile since a FTS I think... Ive been on quite a ricordia and paly/zooanthid kick lately, and I have probably 12 to 15 different types in the tank now, and I finally got the xenia to branch off onto the back wall and am now starting to get the GSP onto there to see if itll go too....

fts2.22.07.jpg

As an aspiring nano reefer gathering info before taking the plunge as it were I'd just like to say "wow!" at your tank Teal. Absolutely beautiful. I especially like the aqua scaping.

My wife was rather impressed too. The whole salt water thing in general, let alone a reef tank, had her nervous. Seeing how yours has progressed in so short a period had her feeling much better. Thanks for helping there....that's a rather big bonus. :D

I noticed your clam is up top now. How's it doing? I'd like to get one as well, but I'll probably just be using the 3.24 kit from Nanotuners. Think it would be ok long term or will I need to go MH too? Curious how your anemone is doing too since he's rather stealthy.

Anyway, nice work on a beautiful tank. Look forward to more updates and, with a little luck, starting my own BC29 before too long.

Btw, I'm in the Chicagoland area myself.

The clam is getting picked at by the flame angel, so itll be leaving the tank very soon..... I wouldnt keep it without atleast the 4.36 upgrade at the very least.

My 150w MH upgrade came in today, so hopefully I can find some time this weekend to start putting that thing together... should be fun. :)

Just wanted to say thanks for the extremely helpful post. I've had several aquariums in the past, but this is my first shot at a nano. MY gf got me a bc29 for my birthday, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it all turns out. Thanks again!

Theres a new thred just started about BC29 lighting.... there should be some good info popping up in there shortly. :)

Waiting to hear the results of your mods to the hood for ventilation. If I understand correctly, you have one large intake in the middle front, and both fans flow out? What has the temp done?

I havent had the time to install all the new stuff into the hood just yet.... I should have some time to do it this week though, so there should be some results posted shortly. :D

CharAznable
And the reason I was out was that I was buying some loc-line to try to get rid of the hydor-flo because the anemone was hanging out in that upper corner and I was worried about it getting a tentacle in the hydorflo and going for a ride.... After some slight dremeling with the sanding drum on the stock fitting and a LOT of elbow grease, 1/2" loc-line "Y" clipped onto the stock output, and I took a few pices of 1/2" locline and the flare nozzles and made one direct up for surface agitation, and the other goes towards the right side of the tank....

What size Loc-Line did you use?

Archived