Cultivated Reef

Got my BC29 today......

TEALCOBRA

TEALCOBRA first off this is a great thread for people that have or are getting a biocube I have read through it several times as well as Robster's thread. First off I got my wife a bc29 for Christmas with the nano tuners 4.36 mod and I have followed your mods (flow mod, rio 6hf pump, and my sapphire skimmer should be here tomorrow). Well anyway my question is what level on your bc is your water in the 3rd chamber for the skimmer to skim properly, I was wanting to setup my ato float switches this afternoon if possible. For my next question are your moon lights really bright and do you think I could use a variable voltage AC adapter to dim them, the tank is in my bedroom and it is just a little too bright for me. Thanks for all of your help thus far on this forum and your tank looks great you have had a lot of great ideas. :D

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You water level will be around half way up in the second chamber for the sapphire skimmer.... Its higher if youre going to be jamming a tunze in there. I have to set up the ATO I got for xmas soon also....

Im not sure about dimming the LED moonlights honestly.... Theyre on that circuit board, so Im not sure how that will really work. Mines in my living room and I actually love how bright they are because now I dont need to turn on any lights to get anywhere in the middle of the night. :lol:

Let me know if you find a way to dim them though, its a good idea for people that have to put them into their bedrooms....

Thanks for the reply I have a variable voltage adapter at home so I guess I will just give it a try if I can find it tonight I will let you know if it works if not I have some spare parts if it burns something up.

a little note on the LED's....they are running on something like 4v if I'm not mistaken. to do any dimming, it would need to be in the DC realm, not the AC prior to the transformer. I see a couple ways to achieve less light on the night lights:

1. seperate the positive and negative wires going from the nightlight transformer and install on the positive side a small rheostat 25ohm or 50ohm should do the trick to give you adjustablility on the flow of voltage to the LEDs.

2. If you want just a specific level without adjustability, then get a specific value resistor and put that in line on the positive side. this would require some trial and error to get just right. I would use at least a 3watt or higher resistor or rheostat

-R

Well my variable voltage adapter did not work so i am going to try the things Robster suggested this weekend when i can go get the parts. TEALCOBRA I got my sapphire skimmer today and i am still a bit confused about the water level, is yours at the max line on the side of the tank or is it higher than that if so about how much?

I am currently using my Tunze skimmer, so my water level is really high.... Im still working with Kyle to get my Sapphire to have zero microbubbles.... You want the water level just abit higher than the pump on the skimmer.... You shouldnt have any issues with the pump in the third chamber pumping out all the water at that level either...

Thanks for the fast reply I am going to go set that now and see how it works. I hope the microbubbles won't be to bad of a problem in mine.

It honestly seems to be hit or miss with it... some people get them, some people get them for 3 days then none, some people have no issues whatsoever.... Im not mad about the bubbles, and Kyle has been helping me out as much as possible to get it resolved, so I couldnt be happier.

Its not loud at all..... You can barely hear it when its running...

I agree also, My BC is in my bed room and I can hardly hear it over my ceiling fan.

TEALCOBRA just going to let you know I have had the sapphire setup for 2 days now and I am getting hardly any microbubbles in my display now. I hope Kyle can get yours working properly it really does skim well.

I am selling my Sapphire Tangov if youre interested.... cheaper than naotuners atleast... PM me if youre interested....

Smokieroom - I had the bubbles down a TON, but I am having Kyle custom make something for me right now, so theres no need to keep the one I already have. :)

So far so good with the clam..... I think I will be going to MH though... I just got a new hood for my BC29 so I can do all the crazy mods I want to do all while letting the tank run now with the 4.36 mod in it......

I cant wait to gut it and start working on it..... I feel like Picasso with a blank canvas... :D

blankcanvas.jpg

And I havent done much else lately, so I decided to cut down my hydorflo to make it a touch smaller... I took that big flange off the back of it and mounted it to some locline so I can add it back into my tank, just at a different angle with a little less flow so I dont have to keep fixing the substrate in the front left corner..

hydorflomod.jpg

Heres what it looks like installed.... I'll try to get a better picture once the sun isnt coming in through my blinds and my front door reflecting off the glass... I think its going to work out well, it started kicking up a bunch of detrious and other "junk" that was just sitting on the LR and substrate because its moving around and kicking the stuff up and pushing it into the filter area... :happy:

fts1.6.07.jpg

sweet!!

bout time you tinkered a bit :lol::lol::lol:

any thoughts about your blank canvas???

I'm thinking of adding another little fan in the back, pushing over the water, and some vents in front of the heat shield to escape...& run it intermittently... just toying with that idea

cheers

-R

It will be 150w MH, It will have 80mm fans, It will have PC actinics, I'm hoping to pull off a few other things too... So we shall see. :)

Good idea on the bringing air across the water too.... Im going to see IF i can pull off the 150w MH without needing a chiller, thats going to be the hardest part. HAHAHA

Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum and am seriously considering getting a 29. I am also leaning towards getting a bigger tank.... not sure just yet. But I have seen alot of good ideas here for improving the 29. I have tons of questions, but I think I'll take them a few at a time for now since I don't even have the tank yet. First off, has anbody had any poblems with the rio 6hf pump. I've heard some bad things, so I was leaning toward the MJ 1200, but am now hearing not so good things about it. Which would be the way to go? Next is the skimmer..... which one should I go with to avoid micro bubbles, noise, etc...? What's working for everybody? I also like the y loc line for flow. If anyone has any input on the mechanical items I would appreciate it. Once I figure out what pump and skimmer I am gonna go with I will undoubtedly come up with more questions on how to make it work right. I would try and hack at it myself, but it seems like some of you are coming up with some really good stuff, so why mess up what seems to be working? Thanks.

I havent had ANY issues with my 6HF... what have you been hearing about them that is "bad" ??? The MJ1200 isnt necessarily "bad" it just uses more energy (making more heat) and has less flow than the 6HF... If I could afford it and it would fit I would use the Tunze, but thats just way too much money for me to spend on a little submersible pump.

As for the skimmers, theres a post in one of the recent pages about "whats the verdict tunze versus sapphire" go ahead and do a search on it, and I have a nice post on it in there... Im selling both my Sapphire and my Tunze because I am having one custom built by Kyle at Sapphire.... (Cause im cooler than Robster. :lol: )

Archived