ReefCleaners.org

Got my BC29 today......

TEALCOBRA

unfortunately not at the moment. I am currently in the middle of some major stuff going on that I just dont have the time. Im in the middle of buying a new house while trying to get mine prettied up so I can sell it..... So i might actually be breaking down the tanks soon to try to get the house done and all new flooring put in, and I might wait to re-set it all up till I move into the new place, at which point I will probably be looking at going to a 90 gallon setup..... You might actually see me selling all the BC stuff I have. :(

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AnotherLousy1

Well Teal, I can say good luck on the selling of your current house and getting into another one. If you happen to have some time to get out here, I was re-reading this thread again and went back to page 5 where you were talking about removing the hydor-flo and replacing it with the y-connector and loc-line. Is the only reason you did this due to the anemone ... how was the flow with the upgraded Rio 6Hf and the hydor-flo being the 6Hf is rated for 350 gph and the hyor is rated at 264?

I've seen good and bad reviews on the hydro-flo and want to make sure it's a good investment before purchasing. Also to anyone else along on this thread, have you found anything else besides the hydro-flo that would work in the same manner while not reducing flow? Or should I just plan on the purchase of the locline at this time?

Thanks in advance

AnotherLousy1

I have a setup just like Teals. I have had no problems with it. The reason is because I branch the flow from the "Y" into the hydro and also to a flare for surface agitation. Therefore the Hydro does not see the full 350.

I have also seen other use Hydor Korilla as a second pump for additional flow.

It wasnt solely for the anemone, but that was part of the reasoning. Now that its found a place it likes and locked into the rock there, Im not worried about it. That being said, the main reason for doing the "Y" is because I got sick of trying to get the hydor from removing all the sand in the front left corner of the tank. Especially with the rio 6HF, it would just push all the sand out of that corner and I thought it didnt look good, so doing the "Y" made it so I can still get that great random flow with the hydor, but also angle another nozzle for great surface agitation.... Best of both worlds.

Hey Teal, long time no chat :lol: How 'bout a new FTS? It's been a while! Check out my tank too, it's FINALLY up and running!

BTW... nice greys, I hope they are doing well... are they a pair? :huh:

Sorry guys..... Ive just been running around like a madman with this new house business going on. All my corals and inverts are doing GREAT, but I had a bout with ICK and it kicked my ass. I was away for the weekend for a "mini-vacation" and when I came home everything seemed fine (it was night) but my roomate who was watching the tank said the cleaner shrimp looked like it was attacking the flame angel... I figured he was just doing routine maintenance. The next morning the flame angel was dead, and both my clowns looked HORRIBLE. I tried to step up their feedings and supplement garlic extreme but it was just to late and I lost both of them too. So I am now without my flame angel or either of my clowns. :(

My six line wrasse on the other hand appears to have taken to the garlic infused food and seems to be making a strong comeback.

I have NO clue what might have triggered the ICK, nothing has changed in the tank for WEEKS....... All my water parameters were dead on like they usually are, and my roomate was doing my RO topoffs so I know there werent any SG swings. The weird part is that my clam, BTA, and all corals are growing like crazy in there....... :rolleyes:

Teal sorry to hear about your loss.....I used this thread to set up my BC29 almost exactly as yours (thanks a bunch for a awesome thread). I bought a 9w UV from Nanotuners ( LINK ) that has its own pump and fits very nicely in the first chamber with the heater. I made sure it fit and worked when I had water only in the tank then I took it back out and put it back in it's box to use for emergencys only. My question is do you think that would of helped with the ick and would you of used it if you had one?

Ive heard conflicting answers on that actually... some people say that it will kill the ick with no problem, and other people say that it will only make a strong strain of ick. Which one is true I dont know, but if I had one of them I would definitely have tried to use it to save my fish. I was going to order a JBJ submariner one just to throw into the display to get it going, but was waiting to get my paycheck and they didnt make it....

Hey Teal,

Originally, you were using Sea-Gel and Purigen in your two chambers. You were considering using Chemi-Pure. Do you come to a conclusion as to which was better??

I am currently Running Purigen and Chemi-Pure and wonder if I am overdoing it.

Ok I have been reading this thread for a while and have done most of the mods. I added the 4.36, saphire skimmer, Y lock line with flare tips. But the one problem I am having is a lack of surface skimming. It's not terrible but I don't like it. I just added purigen today to chamber 3 and removed the sponge. Any ideas on getting rid of the slick? thanks Robert

You need more flow..... the surface water isnt going into the top grate fast enough to keep the surface clean. Did you do the flow mod between one and two ?? Did you do the filter modification or are you using stock filter at all ??

I am currently running seagel in my skimmer, and chemipure in the third chamber. I think chemipure and purigen are just both doing the same thing, the reason with the seagel is to make sure phosphates stay down as well. I dont think you can go wrong with either combo, but the chemipure seems to be working great.

On a side note guys, I will be getting rid of my BC29 at the end of the month.... Im going to be moving, and with the new house meaning more room for a bigger tank, I am getting a 90 gallon tank..... Ill still be around helping out as much as possible with anything that might come up with peoples tanks.... :)

Teal, I had the same thing happen to my tank about 2 months ago. As you know I have all the same mods you made to your BC29. One day my 2 clowns, and royal gramma were covered in what looked like Ich, I tried all the reef safe ich removers but they are crap. Lost the clowns and royal gramma but it never affected my firefish at all. I wonder if it was a stress related sickness???

I now have a saddleback clown, 6 line wrasse, and the firefish.

In regards to the oil slick on the surface, I get that too. I'm going to switch to some thinner filter padding (I use the filter mod you did) to see if that helps. right now I just pull out the filter for awhile to get rid of the surface film.

You need more flow..... the surface water isnt going into the top grate fast enough to keep the surface clean. Did you do the flow mod between one and two ?? Did you do the filter modification or are you using stock filter at all ??

I am currently running seagel in my skimmer, and chemipure in the third chamber.

I noticed that you get rid of your stuff. Someone is getting a nice setup from you.

Did you place a bag inside the safire skimmer? If so, how much and where?

On another note, I was getting that slick on the top as well even after the filter mods. I found that if you lower the filter so the small oval gets water running through it, it removes the slick. I let the sponge between my skimmer and chamber1 wall catch anything that may come through.

Exactly with the filter... if you remove the false floor you can lower it a touch and the water will still go through there fast enough and still filter enough to make it worthwhile....

I have a small mesh bag of seagel in the skimmer housing..... the skimmer Kyle custom made for me has a second row of bubble traps, and its a touch larger than the original one, so its fairly easy to drop a bag of media in there...

• 4 weeks later...
TEALCOBRA

Well guys, both of my BC29s are gone.... As most of you knew I was going to be moving soon and finally would have the room to get a larger tank, so I traded all my BC29 stuff for a 90G Clarity Plus, stand, canopy, sump, skimmer, and fuge...

90gallon.jpg

I will still be coming around on the boards, and you may actually see my old tank back on these boards just with a new owner....

newnanofl

That looks like it will be an awesome tank. I am looking to buy your EX BC29 hood that you were modding with bigger fans from the new owner.

TEALCOBRA

Let me know how it goes... he's a really good guy, although he sounds a little excited about getting that 1.150 wrking in there, so Im not sure if hes going to sell that hood. =)

Hey Teal, It looks like he is going to sell the hood to me. I can't wait to get it and continue with the modifications. I am going to put my 4.36 kit into it. I hope it works so I can possibly remove the chiller. I will keep you posted as to my progress.

If you have access to a LUX meter it would help out a ton. The problem with PC lighting is that it will become less efficient if it gets either too hot or too cold. If you got a variable power supply for the fans and borrowed a LUX meter you could optimize the PAR of the 4.36 kit by speeding up or slowing down the fans... I think the best part of the hood I was making is the fans I found only made 14 dBa, theyre SOOOOOO quiet its ridiculous, but still moved something like 25 CFM.

The 1/2 inch loc line fits onto the stock bulk head fiting on the BC29. It does take some sanding of the bulk head fitting, but it will eventiually press on.

If I had to guess I would almost say its metric. 1/2" takes some sanding and 3/4" is too big.....its kinda between the two.

The Teal Hood Project Lives on. I just bought Teal's project hood from the new owner. I am going to continue to work on it and place a 4.36 Nanotuners lighting kit in it. This will be great with all of the spare parts I now have on. I will start a new post and show the progress. In addition, I am going to add my chiller addition to this as well. It is going to be cool.

Sweet.... Cant wait to see what you can pull off with it. Are you going to paint it a funky color, or just flat black again ?? I was thinking about masking off the glass on my BC29 and doing the entire hood and platic on the tank in like a crazy color.... Maybe teal to match the car. :lol:

What is he including with the hood, and if you dont mind, PM me and let me know what hes charging you for it.... I thought he was going to use it to put the 1.150 into it like I had planned originally, but I guess I was wrong.

Make sure to start a thread on it.

Archived