Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Got my BC29 today......

TEALCOBRA

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
apologeticlies

wow, i read the entire thread! I'm downgrading my 46 bow to a BC29. kinda sad, kinda excited to start a new tank. I read somewhere in there something about a nanostream 6025, I have a pair of them, I will probably keep one if I can get a little more info ion where it goes, and if I need to mod the tank at all to fit it in. Great thread TC!!! I usually dont read threads this long, but your was good!

I will definitely be using him again when I start a larger tank.... REALLY cheap and VERY nice rock. Plus no bad hitchhikers and it only took awhile to color up....

A couple of questions:

1. Did you clean the marco rock after you got it? I ordered some, and parts were brown (instead of the white)

2. Eheim 16/22 i'm finding hard to find. Any suggestions? I bought the Rio 6hf.

3. What size acrylic rod did you use (diameter)? And, did you attach it to an acrylic square to help hold them in place?

I'm seriously debating about picking up that 4.36 upgrade from nanotuners. Seeing your tank probably puts me over the edge.

1 - I rinsed them lightly..... nothing crazy like scrubing them with a brush or anything.... Just wanted to get some of the dust and the like off of there.

2 - You can find the tubing all over the place. just do a froogle search on eheim 16/22 tubing. All you need is one meter of it, or a few feet. I am always of the thought its always better to have extra.

Froogle Results

3 - 3/8" rod and I held it in with grey aquarium epoxy. Just drill the hole slightly larger than the rod, put some epoxy around the tip, stuff it into the hole, then pack some more epoxy around it. It doesnt have to be beautiful, itll all be coraline covered soon.

4 - The 4/36 is a VERY nice kit if you dont plan on keeping SPS, I have seen way too many cool SPS in my area, so I will be putting a 150w MH into my hood.... Its going to be fun. :)

craiglarson

Teal

Your post has been very helpful. I've had my BC29 running for a couple of months- everything stock to this point. I have been slowly removing the bioballs to replacing them with live rubble. Its about 1/2 and 1/2 at this point. (Didn't want to crash the system by doing it all at once). I've now decided to buy the Sapphire skimmer for chamber 2. I believe somewhere in your post you put your chempur or whatever brand you use in chamber 1? You also have the chamber 1 floor removed? Question then.... how do you remove the bags of chempur or phosphate remover at the bottom of chamber 1 when it has expired? Its pretty tight in there!

Also are you adding anything to your water to accelerate the coraline algae growth? Yours seems to be growing at lot faster than mine. I do only have the stock lighting mind you!

Oh one other thing, when I have the skimmer in chamber 2 could I have a fuge in chamber 1 with a skimmer? Would the pods survive? I was thinking I would put the ruble currently in chamber 2 to chamber 1 when my skimmer is delivered. I would also add microalgae and a small light of course

Thanks for the help

I have a long handled grabber that I bought from the local fish store for planting. It also lets me target feed my BTA.

I used Purple Up for the first month and a half I had the tank going.... it made a HUGE difference.

I think you could be fine with the fuge in the first chamber.... You may lose a few pods, but I dont think itll be anythng too crazy.

craiglarson

Thanks for the response. I have a couple more questions for ya:

1) I assume that the bag of seagel in chamber one is sitting at the bottom of the chamber with the floor removed, I was under the impression that these bags have to be directly in the flow to be effective? As you know, of course the lower intake grate is about 1/4 of the way up the wall...

2) the sponge you use in chamber 2, is it the stock sponge that is usually in chamber 3 or did you purchase a new one? If you purchased a new one for chamber 2, do you still have the stock one in chamber 3? Or do you have the bag of purigen jammed into where the sponge was in chamber 3?

Thanks for the help

I have the seagel in a media bag and with the drawstrings for the bag, I have it suspended in the first chamber. The sponge in the second chamber is just some aquafilter (i believe) filter sponge that I found at petsmart and cut to fit there, and I am currently using a bag of chemipure in the third chamber where the stock sponge used to sit.

apologeticlies

Hey, TC, I was just looking for a little info, and maybe a few pics on your 3 chambers. What you did to what chamber, and maybe some quick how to's! i've got my BC29 sittin here and I'm waiting on a leak check to make sure its all sound before I start chopping it up! I appreciate any hel pi can get with these.

Hey All

I want to applaud Teal for all of his patience with all of us Newbies. I think I have seen him answer the same questions 50 times...No ones fault.. I think we need a "Teal Mod Forum" a one stop shop for his famouse mods...

apologeticlies

Here are some Mods I learned from Teal

First chamber -

false floor removed, stealth heater, bag of seagel, modified stock filter, widened flow from one into second chamber

Second chamber

Sponge to slow down the water into the second chamber and get rid of the waterfall noise, custom sapphire skimmer

http://www.sapphireaquatics.com/

Third chamber - Bag of purigen, Rio 6HF pump, eheim 16/22 tubing with no elbows

Also added the Loc-Line 1/2" and the flare nozzles

Hope I didnt step on your toes Teal...I know we all love yout thread..lots of good info

Thanks Again

not steppin on my toes at all. Those are exactly all of my mods right there. The only thing im doing differently is that im using chem-pure now instead of the purigen cause I got it for a good price..... other than that, all those mods are dead on.

Dont forget guys that im a "noob" at this too. Its only been like 6 months since I first started. :D

Well, I just got done building a fence to keep my fish from hopping into the rear chambers. I ended up just using a piece of thin plexiglass to add to the height of the chamber wall. I will get some photos and post them if anyone is interested.

apologeticlies

I'm a roock with this BC29... I'm actually downgrading from a 46 bow for my reasons... :( That was up for a year, and I had to tear it down and go smaller. I'm guessing that false floor in the 1st chamber is siliconed down, so I'mm probably have to cut it. I have that Sapphire aquatics skimmer on the way aklong with the new pump. When i get home tonight I'll make sure it isnt leaking(it hasnt so far) and then I'll call it good. I have a 4.36 light upgrade coming today if fed ex ever decides to deliver it, and a hydorflo making its way here too... I guess i can just dig through your photos again as well.

I'm a roock with this BC29... I'm actually downgrading from a 46 bow for my reasons... :( That was up for a year, and I had to tear it down and go smaller. I'm guessing that false floor in the 1st chamber is siliconed down, so I'mm probably have to cut it. I have that Sapphire aquatics skimmer on the way aklong with the new pump. When i get home tonight I'll make sure it isnt leaking(it hasnt so far) and then I'll call it good. I have a 4.36 light upgrade coming today if fed ex ever decides to deliver it, and a hydorflo making its way here too... I guess i can just dig through your photos again as well.

The false floor is siciloned down, but is does dome out with some pressure. I would push down on one of the corners. It will come out. I read this entire thread when I bought this tank. There are several great suggestions in here. I would encourage you to do the same. Tealcobra has done a lot of work on his and has helped me out as well.

Just as newnano suggested, just push down on it in one corner and itll pop out eventually. Its going to take a little bit of pressure, so dont be afraid that youll break it or anything.

apologeticlies

ya I actually sat down and read the entire thread! Its good stuff, I usually dont start from the beginning, but there was a lot of good info here so I did! thanks guys for all the help! I'll start my own thread once I get it up and running

Great thread! Question regarding the Rio HF do you have to, or should you, pop out the false floor in chamber one when you are using this pump to increase the return to the pump? And also if you pop the false floor out how do you go about modifying the filter in chamber one? Thanks

I think it helps. The thing about doing that is that it doesnt FORCE all of the water through the filter like it does with the false floor in place, the upside to that is that youll never run the third chamber dry by having a clogged filter, while this mod still does help take ALOT of crud out of the water.

Heres a link to the thread I started with the mod.

Biocube Filter Mod

Teal, when you talk about widening the 1st chamber is this when you remove the false floor or is something other than that? if it is is there a link or a picture that showed what you meant by widening the 1st chamber?

I have a pic on one of the first pages. (Post #9 shows what I mean....) All youre doing is widening the gap where the water overflows into the second chamber from the first. If you look at the wall between one and two with water going through it it only cuts through a 1 inch section of the wall. You can cut that wall so it flows into the second chamber the entire distance from the back ot the actual tank to the false wall.

Oh ok I did see that, sorry. Now after I mod the stock filter cartridge and pop out the false floor, do you place the filter all the way down to the bottom leaving more space at the top for flow or do you place it more at the top and leave the section where the false floor was open? Thanks for all the responses and sorry if my questions are so elementary.

Archived