Cultivated Reef

Got my BC29 today......

TEALCOBRA

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
do your sun corals open good? how is the gorg doing??? also what do you have in the tank as far as inverts go????

I dont have a sun coral... :huh:

The gorg is doing good... atleast from what I can tell. I need to get more epoxy to set it onto the rock since it keeps getting blown over by the output right there....

I have one cleaner shrimp, 2 turbo snails, 6 margarita snails, 10 nasarrius snails, and 8 blue legged hermit crabs.... They do a good job in the tank.... Havent had any issues with them atleast. :happy:

Heres a pic without the glare on the glass.... Sorry some of the corals are closed, I had just fed the tank and theyre eating like little piggies... :lol:

fts1.6.07.2.jpg

Teal, the bad that I have always heard about Rios are that they melt down. I have never had that happen personally.

Where the heck did you get an extra hood? I NEED ONE TO MOD!!!!!!

rayraynlindy

TEAL,

This is such an awesome thread! I recently came into the reefing world and after learning how to turn around my mother-in-laws 95 gallon that looked like a swamp, I just had to get a tank of my own so my boyfriend bought me a 14 gal BC. It's been up and running for 2 months now and I love it! Well, for Christmas he got me a 29 gal BC and I have found much usefull info on this thread pertaining to mods. I am waiting on my 4.36 upgrade to get here and I will be ordering the Rio HF6. Thanx thanx thanx! I don't know if I am going to go with the skimmer in chamber 2 or the fuge. I have the fuge in chamber 2 in my 14 and the stupid nano fission skimmer in chamber 3 (I don't think the skimmer does much but.... I leave it there jsut incase). Any thoughts on the skimmer versus fuge or how I could fit both? So this "custom" thing that Kyle is working on.......any hints on what is so very custom about it? ;)

Oh yeah and are you using anything to accelerate your coraline? It is growing extremely nicely on your back wall and I am tryin to get there with my 14.

As for the skimmers, theres a post in one of the recent pages about "whats the verdict tunze versus sapphire" go ahead and do a search on it, and I have a nice post on it in there... Im selling both my Sapphire and my Tunze because I am having one custom built by Kyle at Sapphire.... (Cause im cooler than Robster. :lol: )

Yeah...Yeah...but..but...I have a mineral mud substrate fuge in my BC29 :P top that :lol:

rio 6hf I don't see how that thing could melt down??? I think it is built to be able to run outside the tank, maybe thats where (DON'T QUOTE ME ON THIS!! not 100% sure)

-R

Goatman -

I have had no problems so far... hopefully I dont have that one either... ;)

I got the hood from the LFS... He had to special order it from Oceanic.

rayraynlindy -

Its nothing THAT special, just a larger skimmer with more bubble chambers, and if it comes out like im hoping, maybe add a small bag of purigen or something so the water goes through that after its skimmed... Well nevermind, he just sent me a PM that its finished... UNBELIEVEABLE work..... Cant wait to get it in use.

doug6.jpg

I added purple up to the water for the first two months, I havent added any lately though but everything still looks really good.

Robster -

It says on the little warning tag on the cord of the 6HF that it should not be run without being submerged.... So I wouldnt try to use it outside of my tank. :)

Dont make me pour mud into my tank... PLEEEASE. :lol:

SaltyVt -

Shoot me your name and address in a PM, Ill frag you off a piece and send it out to you.... Ive never done this before though and I wont charge you for it, so no getting mad if I kill it with my first attempt. :lol:

Something happened this morning.... I think I broke it..... Do you think Oceanic will cover it under warranty ?? :lol::lol::lol:

guttedhood.jpg

I had heard the same thing about the rio's..... that they're basically unreliable and have a tendancy to stop working, but maybe they've gotten better recently. All I know is nobody on here has complained yet. And the heat and flow of the MJ are what I've been hearing as well. I think I will go with the rio at this point. IF it dies on me, I'll try something different. Of course this is if I don't jump in the deep end and go with a much larger tank. Teal, this might be a dumb question, but is that picture above of the skimmer made for your tank?

guess it helps to read the tag...duh?!

when i saw the fitting attachment for the intake, i just assumed....we all know what that does

-R

Yep, that is the one that he made for me.... I cant wait to try it out. His work is phenominal, you dont see a single bubble in any of his seams or anything... I couldnt be happier. :happy:

Pete, what bubbles on the glass are you referring to ?? :huh:

Are you talking about the dots of coraline that are on the back flase wall ?!?!?

newtanksmell

Teal, so if I understand you correctly, you scrapped the stock Sapphire and had one custom built ? Were you ever able to resolve micro bubbles or do you hope the extra bubble traps on the custom resolve the issue?

I've dworked through every suggestion to correct except sacrificing a dead chicken. Still have bubbles. I was pulling big time for this thing. Awesome skimming IMHO.

Guess it's time to do the ATO mod and fling some money at the big T.

PS Tank is looking great. Can't wait to see if you can keep temps reasonable with MH mod.

That skimmer looks good. I am gonna assume that it will fit in the back chamber. If that is true, its almost a shame to have to hide it back there.

I got the bubbles down a TON, it wasnt too bad, most people wouldnt care, but im just an anal retentive kinda guy.... I hope this new one has no issues, it looks like its going to be a workhorse, and I cant wait to use it.

Yes, it will fit into the middle chamber of the BC29.

THanks for the response. That clarified a lot of confusion!

Sent a reply... I also have it in the classifieds section if youd like to look at a pic of the actual skimmer... Let me know if you have any questions. :)

newtanksmell

I can't deal with ANY bubbles. I have tried everything with the Sapphire. I give.

Sorry Teal, not trying to thread-poo. Just tired of my nano looking like the intro to Sponge Bob Square Pants. :angry:

I'll pick up a 9002 tomorrow. Unlike micro bubbles, I can control the water level.

Youre not turning my thread into poopoo.... its not a big deal..... If you want to wait till I get my new skimmer, Ill be selling my 9002... Its a little used, alternating time between it and the sapphire, but it works great and itll be alot cheaper than a new one. :happy:

newtanksmell
Youre not turning my thread into poopoo.... its not a big deal..... If you want to wait till I get my new skimmer, Ill be selling my 9002... Its a little used, alternating time between it and the sapphire, but it works great and itll be alot cheaper than a new one. :happy:

I'll hold. Please PM me when you are ready to switch. Thanks Teal !

I had heard the same thing about the rio's..... that they're basically unreliable and have a tendancy to stop working, but maybe they've gotten better recently. All I know is nobody on here has complained yet.

I guess I'll complain. I had a rio 600 that was powering a skimmer on my 55g breakdown, releasing an oil slick into the tank. It killed half my fish and just about all of my corals. I've heard other people having the same problem, yet the product is still sold. They may have gotten past that problem, but I won't relive that nightmare again and will never buy another. Just my 2¢.

Nope, the magnet cleaner hasnt scratched the tank at all.... Although I want to try out one of those nimble nanos when I get some extra cash to spend...

I have the super nimble nano and it is worth the money it works a lot better than the mag-float I had. The only problem is it doesn't float but i have yet to have it come off the glass.

I guess I'll complain. I had a rio 600 that was powering a skimmer on my 55g breakdown, releasing an oil slick into the tank. It killed half my fish and just about all of my corals. I've heard other people having the same problem, yet the product is still sold. They may have gotten past that problem, but I won't relive that nightmare again and will never buy another. Just my 2¢.

Here is an email I just received from Taam.....

Hi Doug,

Rio pumps do not have oil in them. In fact all powerheads are made in the same way if not aquarium systems, mag drive, sedra the mechanics of the pump are bascally the same. My feeling much of what you hear is propaganda from our competitors.

FYI all Rio plus pumps, SEIO and hyper flows now are what I consider bullet proof all thermally protected even if run dry nothing will happen to the pump.

So I have no worries about the pump, and its been working great for 3 months... Im not too concerned. :happy:

Archived