Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

SHOW OfF YOUR PROP TANKS!

firefishbrain

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since we moved close to weetabix7 I am setting up a prop tank in the apartment that is attached to the house. The former owner took the stove so I moved in my antique stove & decided that was the best place since there is s sink & counter right there. :D

It is a 24g Nano Cube with some modifications. We hand picked 6lb. live rock rubble along with about 3.5 lb. base rock to cycle it.

I should be getting the 150W HQI MH Light from Caesar777 Tues. to hang from the exhaust fan/light over the tank.

DSCN0432.jpg

One Eyed Bunny
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=111061

That is mine in the works. Will have a 15 gallon, 70w 14kMH.

When I get the money, it may become an experimental prop tank... Link

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=111490

Hopefully, it will be cycling within the week. Im waiting on getting the 15 gallon in and drilled. and my other supplies.

14,000K bulbs typically put out less PAR than 10,000K or 20,000K bulbs meaning your corals will grow slower. You can verify this through the Lighting series done by Rob Weatherly.

One Eyed Bunny
I believe 6500k is the optimum color for growth, why not use that?

I don't know the answer, but I would assume it is because 6,500K would also promote algae growth which would fight for nutrients and space in tanks.

sephroth_r1

Well, most sought after and coloruful corals are found within a 5ft range of the surface, where the color of the light in the water is around 6500k. Not "blued" out like we use

Well, most sought after and coloruful corals are found within a 5ft range of the surface, where the color of the light in the water is around 6500k. Not "blued" out like we use

They generally are not as bright and colorful in the shallows are they? I have seen some deeper water pictures where there is some more blue spectrum and they are a little more colorful it seems.

Anyways, here is my 20L that I just coverted to a prop-style tank.

IMGP3890.jpg

Im beginning to focus on SPS. I have an ORA tort, a couple ORA milleporas, a tri-color valida, a Chip's acro, a green rosaria, what I believe to be amonti cap with blue polyps, a LIve Aquaria blueberry tip... that's about it right now. Some of them just came in a couple weeks ago after being in the mail for over 48 hours, so they are still coloring up after that stress.

Here are some pictures...

IMGP3891.jpg

IMGP3894.jpg

IMGP3897.jpg

IMGP3899.jpg

IMGP3903.jpg

There's more pictures, but Ill start my own thread for that.

** DO you all run skimmers on your prop tanks? I have a large amount of chaeto and Rubble in my sump (about 20lbs or so)... is that enough? I have never had a skimmer on this tank, but then again I removed about 20 lbs of rock from the display. I do, however, change out 2g of water PER DAY. This works out to about 40%-45% weekly water water change. Do you all run filter socks?

Here's my 40L breeder with external overflow using VHO bulbs. I went display first, then props, due to the growth in my display necessitating pruning.

041507post.jpg

sephroth_r1

they look more colorful under the blue spectrum is what it is, kinda like a black light effect. Check out this years annual marine reef and fish, an awsome article on lighting.

they look more colorful under the blue spectrum is what it is, kinda like a black light effect. Check out this years annual marine reef and fish, an awsome article on lighting.

I think that is what I meant to say... you were able to word it better!

Jesse

"14,000K bulbs typically put out less PAR than 10,000K or 20,000K bulbs meaning your corals will grow slower. You can verify this through the Lighting series done by Rob Weatherly."

Wow this is some of the worst information i've seen in a long time. Generally depending on what type of ballast you are running, the lower the kelvin rating the higher the par. That being said, XM 20K bulbs have higher par than their 15k bulbs. But this is due to bad craftsmanship. If you want to look up reef lighting info and par values for metal halide bulbs go to Sanjay Joshi's site.

One Eyed Bunny
"14,000K bulbs typically put out less PAR than 10,000K or 20,000K bulbs meaning your corals will grow slower. You can verify this through the Lighting series done by Rob Weatherly."

Wow this is some of the worst information i've seen in a long time. Generally depending on what type of ballast you are running, the lower the kelvin rating the higher the par. That being said, XM 20K bulbs have higher par than their 15k bulbs. But this is due to bad craftsmanship. If you want to look up reef lighting info and par values for metal halide bulbs go to Sanjay Joshi's site.

I'm not saying it's due to Kelvin temperature. I'm just saying that Rob Weatherly (who is usually verified by Sanjay Yoshi) has said that 14,000K bulbs produce less PAR than 10,000K or 20,000K. This could be due to a number of reasons, ballast, craftsmanship or even possibly the ratio of different halides and gases used in the bulb.

Although I agree with your linear relation with Kelvin temperature and PAR output, but that doesn't mean that it is case (due to some reasons provided in my post and your own). So, that being said. I stand by my statement that 15,000K bulbs produce less PAR than 10,000K or 20,000K bulbs. If it changes I'm willing to change.

One Eyed Bunny

That's a beautiful tank! How long is that thing?

Also, my question is for people using DIY tubs. Where do you get these 110 Gal. tubs!? I've been lookin' around and I'm not findin' them at Walmart or Target or anything. Should I be looking in the gardening section of Lowes or Home Depot instead?

One Eyed Bunny
Farm Supply Store, or Co-Ops on the tubs.

Thank you. Go figure, I live in a farmer's town and never thought about it.

What kind of light is that?

Tek-lights 8 bulb T-5 432 watts.

It isnt really that bright, for some reason my camera made it look that bright.

My 75g half prop, half reef. Not quite finished with it yet.

Hope you got your sunglasses on :lol:

100_0862.jpg

nice! how many tanks you got? :lol:

nice! how many tanks you got? :lol:

Um..................4 set up and running, two not running. I have an addiction :lol:

Archived