SaltCritters.com

SHOW OfF YOUR PROP TANKS!

firefishbrain

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes I do!! :lol:

Well I'm planning on keeping mine, but if I ever decided I wanted to sell it I'll let you know! I'm moving to FL at the end of summer so I could always drop it off and pick up some corals! ;):lol:

Well I'm planning on keeping mine, but if I ever decided I wanted to sell it I'll let you know! I'm moving to FL at the end of summer so I could always drop it off and pick up some corals! ;):lol:

:angry: I wanted it! Butthead!! :P

here's an update on the progress

* 75 gallon Tru-Vu 48" X 30" 12" tank

* 48" 6X54w Tek light geissman bulbs, 3 actinic plus, 2 aquablue, 1 midday sun.

* 40 gallon sump/refugium

* Mag 7 ( closed loop chiller ) and Mag 9.5 ( sump return )

* home made stand

* other things I have and will be using are my arctica chiller and euro-reef skimmer hopefully they are big enough, phosban reactor, squid wavemaker, ato, and current retrofit PC for refugium, check valve.

Total cost right now for the new tank, stand, light, sump, pumps, and check valve is around $950

IMG_3996.jpg

Needreefunds

My 20 L project. Way to addicted to frags and running out of room in my cube.

OK, so maybe I jumped the gun a bit. Just starting the build but having a blast so far. Painted back, fabricated racks, installed one Ac110 with surface skimmer.

100_4582.jpg

Have another AC 110 being shipped this week. Will start modding both soon.

Still trying to decide on lighting. We'll see. That's all for now. Take care.

My 20 L project. Way to addicted to frags and running out of room in my cube.

OK, so maybe I jumped the gun a bit. Just starting the build but having a blast so far. Painted back, fabricated racks, installed one Ac110 with surface skimmer.

100_4582.jpg

Have another AC 110 being shipped this week. Will start modding both soon.

Still trying to decide on lighting. We'll see. That's all for now. Take care.

cool tank, Im trying to setup my 10AGA now, trying to get a Sunpod 150W 20" and then go from there. Think Im gonna run AC110 and PH's, dont know about a skimmer for a 10gal, but we'll see.

You might want to rethink the eggcrate on the bottom. I had it on the bottom of my 10g frag tank and it trapped enormous amounts of detritus. I took it out and put in sand and it's much better.

Or just construct 2 inch legs making sure to seal the top as not to trap debris.

other then that i agree with nUgZ

I built something simliar in my 10 gallon

Needreefunds

Was thinking of sand over the crate. No good?? Don't get me wrong guys I really appreciate the input. I had cut cross notches in the top and bottom of each post so they lock in place. Initially was going to tile the bottom, but thought locking the posts like this was better than using glue or sealant. But obviously now is the time for change!! So lose the lower crate??

Nugz, did you have sand and the crate??

Enraged, if raised 2", how do you clean underneath??

Again, not arguing, just trying to learn. Thanks guys!!

Humm, the more I think about it, even with sand over it would make it pretty tough on sand sifting critters huh??

Helfrichs Chick

Well I am looking into setting one up now too. In yalls opinion do you need a sump?? I am so used to running filterless, I can put on a skimmer, but whats the best way. I am thinking about one of those 2ft x 2 ft tanks. i think I will put it in the spare room and NOT tell my boyfriend cause he will kick my a$$. lol.

I am kinda looking at all these and just try my own.

The reason i took it out completely and added the sand was to make sure that the worms and microfauna living in it wouldn't have a problem moving around. I imagined that with the eggcrate and the sand there would be squares that could be overlooked by the detrivores. Nothing to back that up, just a precaution I took.

Helfrich- If you don't want it to be a display prop tank and you have room for your equipment in the tank I see no specific need for a sump.

A 2 inch lift gives you plenty of space to direct your power head down to stir it up or blast the build up with a turkey baster followed by a water change.

I don't feel you really need a sump all i am using is a walmart HOB set up with 2 pounds of live rock in it.

Its rated at 330GPH and only cost my 30 bucks :)

I am still on the fence about a skimmer i will have to wait till things get rolling and see what is up with my water quality first.

I had cut cross notches in the top and bottom of each post so they lock in place.

Hey, I had the same Idea for the top of the pipes, how'd you go about notching them? Hacksaw?

Also, am I the only one who gets a message every time someone posts to a thread? My mailbox gets filled up with unnecessary emails.

Needreefunds
Hey, I had the same Idea for the top of the pipes, how'd you go about notching them? Hacksaw?

Also, am I the only one who gets a message every time someone posts to a thread? My mailbox gets filled up with unnecessary emails.

Hey podboy, Good ole' Dremel. Used the Dremel because I was trying to line up top and bottom and I wanted SOME fudge room for easier alignment. Not sure if a hacksaw curf will remove enough to fit the crate?

Wish I could help with the notification emails. 'puter 'literit. Sorry.

who gets a message every time someone posts to a thread? My mailbox gets filled up with unnecessary emails.

Go to your UserCP and check out "Subscriptions". You will see that you are subscribed to the thread and you can un-do it.

BTW--Podboy did my AWESOME logo!!

Needreefunds--I haven't read the thread fully---but why would you use sand and crate? Don't do that.

You can keep a bare bottom tank more bare by using a powerhead or spraybar constantly aimed at the bottom. You would be amazed at the crud that collects.

Did you guys ever hear about using a remote deep sand bed in a 5 gallon bucket? That may be a solution for smaller prop tanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Here are some pics of my prop tank at the moment..

some algae bloom on the back wall

IMG_0473.jpg

the inline placed leather tank

IMG_0474.jpg

my beautifull bright white porites porites

IMG_0345.jpg

a big branch of montipora digitata

IMG_0456.jpg

the whole shabang!!! in one photo: yep it's ghetoo alright!!

IMG_0470.jpg

Archived