ReefCleaners.org

SHOW OfF YOUR PROP TANKS!

firefishbrain

The Propagator

My friend I am afraid you are color blind . :)

I would say around 75% in that pic were propagated by me.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW Propagator!! Nice ric tank! That's so awesome. I would love to buy some blues and oranges if you would ship!

The Propagator
I'm joking, your rics are really pretty, but they seem like you've done a lot of fragging

Its all in the name. Hint hint. ;)

I grow colonies and frag them off, and I cut them also.

fish n' pets

This may seem like a stupid question, but where does everybody get eggcrate material i see in so many propagation tanks? I just have no idea. (Maybe i am ignorant.) Propagator, your ric tank is AMAZING! How many gallons is that tank, and what lights do you have?

firefishbrain

I jsut found out, yo ucan get it at a hardware store like home depot ore lowes or something biugger like that...

fish n' pets

So, it is in the lighting section? I went to Home Depot and looked all over the store, except the lighting section! Ah well, i'll go back later. So get only regular white?

DSC03334.jpg

DSC03335.jpg

DSC03338.jpg

DSC03339.jpg

DSC03343.jpg

The Propagator

are you letting the rics split naturally or do you cut them? Awsome system btw. I'm a huge ric fan but they dont split to often in my system.

Wow Rascal311! Nice set up. I might have to get one of those blue zoo frags from you next pay day. Do you discound n-r.com members? LOL!

J/K

The Propagator

NICE SET UP RASCAL!!!!

( and thank you !)

I do both actualy. I cut them and let the split on there own.

Dose some Reef Plus and Iodine , and you will see huge growth rates as to what you see now in your softies especialy rics! ;)

We need to talk about some of those BLue zoo's btw ;)

:) thanks guys,

The Propagator: I'm flying to FL on the 14th and hope to come back with 100heads of ric for culturing. I'll dont dose anything in my sytem, dont even do much water change. Maybe once every 6 weeks and the zoos seem to love it. 75% of my sps brown out but some do grow quite well. I do have 400watt of mh over them though. When I get he rics in I'll give the reef plus a try.

The Propagator

You would only be doing your self and your rics a great service. :)

You have a green house right?

Thats the answer toyour sps browning out during the summer months.

The colors come right back when fall and winter sets in.

Try doubling the shades and keep on using your MH ( I dont know what kelvin or brand you use but I have had GREAT sucess using 14k hamiltons to BRING BACK and keep color in sps ;) )

I buy 95 percent of my sps, lps, and zoanthids form a fella localy who has a greens house. During the summer they will brown out unless you shade them well and and rely on your MH for suppliment.

Also I have sumbled ontoa great product recently for sps frag systems

( and reef tanks alike) "Arago-milk".

It it just pulverized aragonite ( powdered ) with water.

SPS soak it up like candy.

TP

BTW your AV is killing me LOL !!!

Also I have sumbled ontoa great product recently for sps frag systems

( and reef tanks alike) "Arago-milk".

It it just pulverized aragonite ( powdered ) with water.

SPS soak it up like candy.

that product is one of the reasons i have never rinsed my aragonite sand of its dust, basically the same concept. it always seemed like a good application but i've never used it.

have you ever thought of using sand and crunching it as a cost savings over aragamilk? i would think the grains are smaller than oolithic but i wonder if it's totally aragonite, how well does it dissolve?

taking it further, i've thought about fluidized beds/CO2 water-fed, kinda like a fluidized calcium reactor to avoid "channeling" in a solid sandbed. i've never done it myself just a diy-thought i've had kicking around.

you could also probably just go without the CO2 and just use it as a fluidized reactor, again the same basic concept as the aragamilk (crushed/crashed aragonite sand, maybe start with a half/half mix of typical aragonite and oolithic for collision/crushing purposes).

obviously, you have the fluidized bed problem but you're not really looking for the filtration aspect from it but the calcium production. maybe UPS the fluidized reactor pump?

The Propagator

Your over "tech'ing" a simple task. :)

Yes all it is, is ground up pure aragonite.

Why not just grind some up put it in a jug, and shake and pour when you want to use it?

LOL!

Archived