Coral Vue Hydros

SHOW OfF YOUR PROP TANKS!

firefishbrain

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's a handsome frag tank, VermontReef. How much weight are you guessing the tiers of egg-crate can hold? All of you guys have nice tanks BTW.

Not sure how much weight the egg-crate can hold but it seems pretty sturdy. I'm sure I will be putting it to the test and loading it up good :)

cool what size?

48 X 24 X 12 I have to fisnish plumbing buy a pump and sump then it will be up and running. Then I have to figure out what Im going to run for lighting. Im plumbing it into my 60 Cube

• 4 weeks later...

here's where the clownfish live...

adin_prop.jpg

(sorry for the blue wash... used the crappy camera)

18"x18"x11" main tank

150w 14000K MH

HOT magnum

10"x10"x10" refugium

18w pc 50/50

80gph viaaqua powerhead

connected with a U-tube - passive diffusion

the main tank actually has an in-tank refugium basket too

here's where the clownfish live...

adin_prop.jpg

(sorry for the blue wash... used the crappy camera)

18"x18"x11" main tank

150w 14000K MH

HOT magnum

10"x10"x10" refugium

18w pc 50/50

80gph viaaqua powerhead

connected with a U-tube - passive diffusion

the main tank actually has an in-tank refugium basket too

wow, those plugs are sexy.

• 3 months later...

I'm so sad :( You have all those tempting corals..... Stupid UK. When I'm 18 I'm SOOOOO moving to wherever propagator lives. Tell me when your neighbors house is for sale! You don't mind the occasional robbery do you? :P

I have become quite interested in the concept of propagating corals as my only part of the hobby instead of keeping a display tank, then setting up a display later on.

it seems exciting.

I have become quite interested in the concept of propagating corals as my only part of the hobby instead of keeping a display tank, then setting up a display later on.

it seems exciting.

I think it becomes easier to set up a display of what you really like.

Flashing av rules.

Alright i think i'm missing something here and this keeping corals is pretty new to me and i don't have any yet but am planning on it but i can't be the only person reading this thread asking this question...when i look at some of your tanks i see hundreds of frags, and when i see them in my LFS, they are for sale for like $50+ each, how do you aquire soooo many?

when i see them in my LFS, they are for sale for like $50+ each, how do you aquire soooo many?

:lol:

1. your lfs sounds a bit overpriced...well maybe alot

2. they get them because they FRAG EM! you take one big colony of lets say zoas and take a few polyps from them and put them on some rock or a plug and let them grow out there and sell them as frags, you could easily gets 10-15 decent frags from a large colony of zoas....ricordeas earlier in the thread, if you have a nice clean razor blade, you can get 6 ricordeas out of one, allowing them time to heal. The list goes on for different species of coral...but basically, these are the people tht make what you see for sale at your lfs, da fraggers.

The Propagator

it seems exciting.

Now thats what I like to hear !!

My hope is that EVERY ONE will buy aquacultued coral one day.

We have to start from wild collected collonies now, but the load we place on our natural reef slopes will be more than cut in half if we all aquacultured, and bought aquacultured.

I have 10 or more collonies that are more than 6 years old in my tank right now.

( thats why I always have alot of the same coral for sale ;))

Its not going to drive the prices dwn either because not every one will want to , or have the space to do it.

It is definately not easy to get started, you have to have the space, time and more dedication, but the rewards are astounding! Once you have it set up correctly and a routine in place its cake!

The fealing you will get when you realize your starring at a colony a month later you just grew from one or two polyps is awsome!

It takes alot of time and dedication, but it is well worth it !

The hardest part about it is waiting on things to grow out.

An aquacultured coral is already acclimated to tank life under artificial lighting.

As well it is more resiliant to handling/fragging and resistant to common diseases.

The prices may go up a bit, but I woul dbe more than happy to pay a little more to safegaurd our natural reef slopes.

We dont have to rely on the "pro's" to do it for us, or wait on them to set the bar gang.

We can do it our selves. ;)

Lead or get out of the way !!!

Uploaded,

I have an attack cat so beware !!

The little bastage will jump on anything that moves like Kato from the pink panther !

:haha:

He's actualy not my cat he is my nirghbos cat and he has taken up residence under my deck for the last 2 years.

Little fooker will jump and cling to your leg ( BARE LEGG OR PANTS LEGG !!) biting you and scratching you if you pass to close to side he is on.

I swear to Gone day I will drown that little bastard in my pool !

I WILL place him at my front door if you move in the neighbor hood !!

LOL!!

IMG_2958.JPG

My new prop tank under construction right now....Its a 48X24X12 and will have 4 T5HO's on an icecap ballast and maybe one halide....There is a custom 55 gallon sump under it....

The stand will be wrapped in leopard print fabric (what the g/f wants).

Archived