SaltCritters.com

My 1 Gal Pico (It'll be Perfect)

KMitch

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew someone would have something to say about it..... Argent you still alive? Not alot of action from you anymore. Our cult is weakening.... (PS whoes in it besides u me and snow?)

Hehe the founding members of the Great Cultist Pico Movement of 2006. Forever to be Honored and Remembered!

And defo Beer HOORAY!

:naughtydance:

travisurfer

forgot to add your tank looks great! i still have the black moon sand if you decide you need it.

a siphon sounds good. you may run into problems when the power goes out if you dont do it right though.

OK folks-- update. I drilled the outlet hole in my tank and "filter" and got all my plumbing worked out. The inlet is an inlet guard for most powerheads attached to some PVC. I drilled the hole in it carefully with a drill press which after 2 practice tries worked quite well.

As travissurfer pointed out, I can run into problems if the power was to cut while the tank was running. Thankfully I have 2 bits of good news.... 1. this tank will be at school where in the last 3 years the power has only flickered once (we generate our own power on campus and my dorm is near the plant). 2. When I fill the tank, I will slowly fill it to make sure that if the power was to cut on the powerhead, there isnt enuf water to overflow. The tanks are essentially connected via one pipe that has no siphon action and is level, with a powerhead pushing water out.

My return is pretty ghetto but really clever. I used my old mini filter that came with the tank and used the intake U tube as my return. Using a hot knife to cut it down to the right size, I made that sucker fit nicely as a little and out of the way return. The best part is that it has an adjustment knob on there so I can turn down the flow while feeding, etc.

I spray painted the stuff that would be in the tank white to keep my black and white theme going. Once I mount the stuff in there I will take a pic. In the meantime, here is a FTS of my 10 gal to keep you pico culters happy.

Fishtank71206%20002.jpg

Suggestions for fixing the container to my tank? I am thinking that super strong gorilla glue, but open to ideas.

Another update (2 for one special tonite)

drilling.jpg

Top Left: side view--- i havent bonded the two pieces but this was a test fitting. you can see how I cut the U tube to make an outlet.

Top Right: Backside-- I dont have the PVC inlet in there, but you can see where its going to be.

Bottom Left: Front view where you can see my outlet from the powerhead. With the white it doesnt stick out too much.

Bottom right: that will be my inlet once I get it in there... its still drying. It is long so that there is never going to be water between the two tanks not in a pipe. It has an angle bend that will direct water down after that.

Still need ideas to bond the two tanks. help!

i see you have used the catch cup from my store well :P. this tank is gonna be pretty sweet! haha, if you need any cheap frags message me a couple days in advance and i'll see what i can't chop/scrape/shake off of some stuff around our coral tanks for $5 or so.

Thanks everyone for the support-- esp. Pets_unlimited_fish_guy, whoes username is a subtle advertisement for a nice store on my way home. he helped me find the specimen container. props to pets unlimited.

I still need the super brains of this forum to help me out by offering any suggestions for bonding the two tanks together. also....should i paint the back white or leave it clear?

yeah i was thinking gorilla glue which i used to make my hood for my 10 gal is strong stuff, but i was curious if anyone knew something i didnt know. should i paint the fuge white too?

i'd leave it clear so you can check out what kinda creepy stuff lives back there.

creepy stuff! as in zombies? :scarry:

hum :ninja:

nah the zombies live in the front of the tank (at least in my tank I have zombies -- most people call them nassarius snails though)

...I still need the super brains of this forum to help me out by offering any suggestions for bonding the two tanks together. also....should i paint the back white or leave it clear?

Duck Tape. :P

:puts kidding aside:

Is the outside or the inside of your back wall painted? If it's the outside, you might have trouble with adhesives affecting/adhering to the paint. Are you going to use bulkheads for where your pipe enters the tank? If you do you could just put a small spacer between the tanks and have the bulkheads hold the tanks together, if your sump is light enough. If it's too heavy, you could just build a stand to hold it up.

Well sadly it has been painted on the outside. I wasnt planning on bulkheads, just some silicone seal and magic. Bulkheads were too big for the space i am working with. I also thought about building a stand to help support the weight.

other ideas?

you could possibly use some acrylic scraps to create a few small braces and glue them on the sides of the container connecting it to the sides of the tank, like you were using tape to hold them together. like this:

1_gallon_idea.bmp

Problem with that idea is that the specimen container isnt the same width as the tank, bout 1/2in on each side shorter. Good idea though. I am now thinking that glue with a caulk seem will be good so water cant get in the seam to ruin the tank.

I'd also go with a small wooden 'shelf' that the base can sit on so it's not just 'hanging' on the back of the tank. (or perhaps just some legs off the outside corners to keep the whole thing flat on the table surface)

Can you not get a rubber bung that will fit over the hole in both the tank and fuge? With some sealent that would waterproof it.

YAYA I have a beer cos I ernt it today :P

Archived