ReefCleaners.org

My 1 Gal Pico (It'll be Perfect)

KMitch

Well I must admit that all this reading about sealed picos has made me think... I could build a fuge and filter out of acrylic on the back side of the tank behind the back wall. Then I could use a tight fitting cover and have a "semi-sealed" tank. I wonder if I can use the mini filter from this tank and cut it up to work better. Hum....

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is an update:

P1010014.jpg

I finished spackling to fill in the geese and mountains and primed it a few coats. It is currently drying outside with the white coat. I am crossing my fingers that the LEDs come tomorrow- if not then friday. Still debating what I want to do about sand.

you can buy black/white mixed in bags -- I've seen it at my LFS. That would look pretty cool and still hide the crap that collects on the sandbed.

I hate the way that junk looks. Looks like you cant make up your mind! Either all white or black.

And drilling??

I have white sand from my other tank and some ppl here are willing to sell me just a little bit of black--- its just picking the color and then figuring out if i want to drill or not

Well I finished my LED hood today. It looks really nice (I will post pics tonite). Also lined the inside with foil to make it more reflective. My LEDs didnt come today so I guess we have to cross our fingers for tomorrow. Argent- did you get yours yet?

Now to decide about drilling

nope I haven't even gotten any emails from them other than the generic ebay auto emails that said I won the auction.

Really? I got an email almost immediately afterwards:

"Hello-

Thank you for the order. Everything has been packaged and will ship out on Wednesday 6/28 via US postal service.

****Important:

If you ordered leds, we have, prepared a set of LED installation instructions, discussion, troubleshooting and tips to help with your led installation. This can be viewed at:

http://autolumination.com/installation.html

If you purchased a digital programmable remote control, please read the programming instructions found here:

http://www.spectrumled.com/remote.html

Please visit our website again soon at:

www.autolumination.com

--

Thank You"

Well Folks,

Good and bad news. Good first.

GOOD

yes.gif

I think that hood looks quite nice on there. Now the bad. With the little HOB filter that came with the tank, the light fixture doesnt fit right.

BAD

no.gif

So it looks like I am going to be forced to drill this tank and put a custom fuge on the back of it. All this for 1 gallon of water! LOL. Ok thinkers... any use for the old pump that came with this tank's filter?

pump.gif

Now back to the drawing board.

ill make another shetch to help

maybe you could make it the world smallest powerhead. lol i think u can dont doubt this thought u might need it

Fishfreak218

i wouldnt do it like that^^^ what happens when something/eventually the bottom passage gets blocked... or if something dead (dead hermit, snail, sexy shrimp, goby) gets sucked into the inlet... and is pinned against the mesh... it will decompose.... i would do it with them each on one side of the tank near the surface of the water JMO

yeah i was thinking the same thing so I need to rethink how to make that little pump work because it is an in only pump..... is there some way to make them push water rather than pull?

I cant just shave the hood back because the whole problem is the tank bows, and the filter causes it to stick out way over the bow in the tank. Its that little bitty arm that serves as the inlet that is in the way.

I need a way to make the pump work as a water pusher rather than water sucker.... then I can use gravity to pull water in and use the pump to push water out.

Archived