inTank Media Baskets

My 1 Gal Pico (It'll be Perfect)

KMitch

Interesting -- it looks like the larger lighting IS more diffused than the smaller -- perhaps I'll keep the one I have then -- or look in to some other custom application.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well....

I pried the diffuser off of the white led set which I think made it brighter. That could be my imagination, but it was more direct for sure. I left the little blue ones on cause I couldnt see a good reason to rip those off. I test mounted them in the hood (with its new mounting legs) tonite. I havent wired it for long term, so forgive the mess of wires. I am hoping to have it all wired in tomorrow. I think I may have a light meter around here somewhere so I will also do some light output comparisons if I can find it.

Heres some pics. The lights dont look as bright with the background lights on as they do without them on. sorry the colors are all shifty--- they were super high quality pics and it shrank em down more than I hoped.

Thoughts? It is very blue light which looks cool. Anyone think this will be enuf for softies??

lights2.gif

Here is the bottom pic in better res. Sorry bout that.

Opinions? Neaderthalman-- your the LED expert!?

P10100132.jpg

it just looks fairly dim to me and i think that it will also be better for the coral but if not get the 7w PC it will do great

Surely the main element of light is the spectrum it hits the corals with, as softies don’t need too much in the way of wattage.

Do you know the colour spectrum of the LEDs and whether it will get to the bottom of the tank at the same K ?

see now you know how I feel about the 8 LED fixture I have in my quart pico not being bright enough (or perhaps intense is more the right word)

Hopefully I'll hear back about the price of some custom LED assemblies today.

I dont have the foggiest idea what the kelvin rating on these LEDs is and if it remains constant. The other thing to remember is that most lights we are used (PC, MH) to offer light in almost all directions. Thats why they use reflectors. LEDs do not bounce the light around so much, and I noticed the light got suprisingly more "intense" when I removed the deflector to focus the light in one direction-- down.

I can try to mount the PC light in the hood as well with the 24 LEDs, but I really liked the concept of an LED fixture.

Argent-- try taking the diffuser off of the 8 led set to see what happens to it. I used a razor blade to "crack" the glue around the outside edge and it popped up and off after that. I wonder if that wont help focus the light for you.

If I can find the light meter this afternoon I will run some tests.

I've gotten hold of that person making custom LED boards -- she can only do squares and rectangles not round (oh well) so I've asked for a price on a 2" square board with mostly white with a few blue LEDs in there to mimic actinic. I'll let you know what I find out.

nope -- but looking at her other boards -- she packs them in right next to each other -- so it would be a 2x2 inch square packed shoulder to shoulder with LED's

Yeah lemme know when she gets back to you. If its not too crazy priced I might get one.

Did some pondering here at work (think about tank at work, work on tank at home!) and I have concluded that I can fit both the 24 LEDs and the 7w PC bulb into my hood together.

My hood is 9.5" long, the PC light is 5.5 inches total (with base) and the 24 LEDs are 3.5". Otherwise I wait another week and order another 24 or get a custom if Argent's pricing isnt too shabby.

Here's a pic he sent me of what he'd make for me -- for $18.50 + shipping

I've asked him for the specs of the LED's he'd be using to see if this really would be worth the cost.

LED SPECS:-

BLUE: 465 ~ 470 nm, 6000 mcd, 10 degree beam,

WHITE: ICE WHITE, 11000 mcd, 10 degree beam,

Cluster would consume ~1 watt.

Now to get some LED aquarium lighting guru's up in here!

post-18973-1152193879_thumb.jpg

Well that might work for you, but I dont need my white and blue LEDs in one grid. If I wanted I have enuf space to put another 24 white and still fit at least one set of blue in there.

Decisions Decisions...... Just spend the extra money and wait another week for more LEDs or put the PC bulb in there.

I appreciate it, and I would prolly consider it if it was more than 24 LEDs.....

so argent you vote to just use the PC bulb I have or to buy more LEDs?

neanderthalman

I'm of the opinion that more light equals more babes. If you can fit more LEDs in that hood, and are willing to spend the money to do it, then do it.

It's really hard to guage the intensity of light without seeing it in person or using a measuring device. The color looks excellent in the photos, however. Kmitch, does the LED light seem brighter, dimmer, or similar in intensity to the 7W PC?

Hard to say-- the 7w is obviously a light that shines in all directions so it gives the illusion of being brighter. I am actually not out for the babes-- maybe the dudes (seeing as I am a babe!) but I will add light for the dudes! :P

I decided to put the 7w in there today, and I drilled a switch into the hood so it looks really clean. I am going to use that and the LEDs I already have, which should be more than enough. Once I finish wiring tomorrow I will post pics.

lol. your hood is funny

(who's argent??)

lol argent is the owner of the 3 gal pico that started all this madness!

I am glad my hood amuses you adin-- that was my goal afterall! :happydance:

Archived