Coral Vue Hydros

My 1 Gal Pico (It'll be Perfect)

KMitch

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well moving in to my room has taken longer than expected, and the tank will get setup tomorrow. I hit some snags because my dorm doesnt have AC, so the heat is causing problems with my 10 gal, but everything survived. Once the main tank is finished tomorrow, I will set up the pico.

• 3 weeks later...

Well! Its been a long time. I delayed setting up the tank because its been hot as heck here and evap would be a big problem.

I was at the pet shop yesterday looking to see the new deliveries and what do I see? The bright green face of a mantis shrimp in their 100 gal display. The employees freaked once I told them about it but agreed to let me have it if we captured it. It took a few hours, but eventually that lime green face came out.

My pico reef now has a MANTIS!

Dont know what type, but a light to dark green, hes a smasher not a spearer. Thus far all hes doing is chilling in his new house of rocks. Part of me was very tempted to mess with him and give him one of those stupid aquarium castles to live in, but I took pitty on the unwanted fellow.

Hes not hungry right now, but now often do you guys tend to feed your beasts? Pics to come.

woo woo! kmitch will you marry me? :D I've never found a woman to share my love of reef tanks AND mantis shrimps :wub:

I feed Boris like every 2-3 days some frozen brine shimp.

I solved the mystery! Sounds like it could be N. wennerae kmitch. They are highly dimorphic and take on a green color under full spectrum lighting. Actinics may be able to turn him red too. Post a pic so we can get a positive id. Join my cult, you would be the first female member. :D

Here she is. Named her "Petunia"

I thought it was a fitting name for a killer.

Foto%20Fest%20117.jpg

ID anyone? Def a smasher not spearer, I stuck a piece of plastic rod near her to find out what she was.

Nice, now join my cult! lol, depending on the species you will most likely want to get him/her a larger tank. Its hard to really guess what species. A full body and a tail shot will help with an id.

When she outgrows my tank (i dont know shes a she, i just named her a she) then she will get sold off to another reefer. Heres a full body shot (its a terrible pic).

body%20shot.jpg

Stupid Petunia has been playing games with me all night. Everytime the camera comes out, she goes in. Camera goes in, she comes out.

Smart little beast.

Archived