Innovative Marine Aquariums

A 12year olds 55g reef

mushroom head

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mushroom head

YAY!!!!!!!!! Added all the rest of the rock,corals,fish,and inverts today! Got a really nice aqua scape to! Everything is doing good so far! Ill post pics tomorrow.

mushroom head

Thanks irishtexan!

:( :( :( My clown tang died today :( I found him sucked against the powerhead intake. All the other fish were bigger than him,and wouldnt give him a chance to get any food,he was skinny as a piece of paper and wasnt strong enough to get off of the intake :(

Hey man.. GREAT TANK! :D :D :D What lighitng is that, whered ya get it, and how much was it? Also how much was shipping?!?! Thansk!

Sorry to hear about loss :( But you had one of these in there?!?!:

http://www.aquarius.ima.pl/foto/acanthurus_lineatus.jpg

http://www.tjorvar.is/html/clown_tang.html

They are gorgeous!!! Sorry about loss! What other live things do you have in it? As in fish wise? I see two clownfish... Do you know what would look GORGEOUS?!?!?! 3-5 green chormis, a blenny, and a yellow tang! That would look AMAZING man! I wish the best of luck to you in future, and got any more FTS? Thansk!

Flick

Sea_Of_Treachery

i would highly reccomend taking that crused coral out of there and replacing with fine sand,lots of detritus will accumulate and lead to nitrate production. btw what kind of tang did you have?

He said Clown tang Clarkii.... Which is why im double checking... See the links i supplied above... lol

Flick :)

Sea_Of_Treachery

FYI a clown tang needs at least a 150-180g aquarium as they can get up to 15" in length, i am not supprised it died, probably because of stress in a tank that small(even if it was a small one). i would stick with the smaller species such as a yellow,kole,mimic,scopas, or tomini tang.

mushroom head

Yeah Yeah ive heard what they said. And good for you your not suprised it died. Its 1 1/2" right now,and all the fish are bigger than it,and never gave it a chance to eat. And im sure you know what happens when somthing doesnt it. It looses weight and dies. And then i have powerheads. Well you know what somthing that is paper thin and hasnt eaten in days and is getting sucked against somthing,it has no strength to pull it self off of the powerhead. And since the powerhead keeps it stuck against the powerhead,it got all cut up. And since it was in bad shape already and then gets sucked against a powerhead then gets all cut up,it dies.

sorry to hear about the tang! but your tank was WAY WAY WAY to small!

jk

so ya,good luck on the upgrade!

reeferbarra20

Yo, Mushroomhead , what kind of lights do you have on that tank? Pcs or T-5s?

I'm no expert but i do knoe that clams require intense lights to be able to photosynthesize properly, ---Just my 2cents! Good luck!

There's a pic of a MH bulb on page 5, that fixture looks like a mix of MH & PC or MH & T5s to me -- not sure how many watts he's got though.

Mushroomhead - keep up the good work, nice tank :)

mushroom head

reefgeek-lol,thanks!

irishtexan-Thanks!

reeferbarra20-right now i have a 6 bulb T5 fixture. Each bulb is 54watts,and i have 4 white bulbs and 2 blue. And ACBlinky is right,there is a pic of a MH bulb,i was using two 150watt MH over my holding tank untill i got the 70g tank.

ACBlinky-Thanks alot!

Also hooked up my coralife super skimmer,dang that thing puts out alotttttttt of flow. And the water line isnt high enough,so the water just spills into the tank splashing water everywhere. So ill have to raise the water line and get some longer tubing for the output.

Hey Flick! Never seen you posted there about what fish i should put in the tank,lol. I would love to put in some schooling fish,like 5 chromis. But the problem is that once they search the tank and find out there is no predetors or anything,they wont group and just swim alone :( But since my clowntang died i might get a yellow tang,i found a guy with a small one for sale!

Young tangs are hard to keep for some reason they are a lot more challenging than keeping an older tang...

Nice Tank though!

mushroom head

proraptor2-hmmm,mabey ill get a larger tang instead,but i just like smaller fish,dunno why. But its fine if i get a larger one. Oh and Thanks!

sea man dan-yes i am still running the T5 fixture. My frined is making this bracket thing to hold the T5 fixture so it is like 2inches above the water line,right now its like 14inches above the water.

Oh and my mandarin and one of my clowns died,guess they died because i thought the tank has cycled,but i guess it wasnt :( Right now there is only one clown left,and it has major bad ich,i think its going to die to. Well i guess i wont have any fish now :( Im not going to add another fish for a month or so.

• 2 weeks later...
mushroom head

Well my 4 PJ cardinals and fox face are doing very good so far! I just got them not to long ago! Oh and the clown that had really bad ich,he died. Ill also be gone for vacation for 9 days so i got someone to feed and top off my tank. I hope he doesnt screw up the tank while im gone and i come home to lots of things dead. Well thats all for now.

Archived