ReefCleaners.org

A 12year olds 55g reef

mushroom head

mushroom head

(Edited...Sold the 55g and bought a 70g)Well im 12 year old and decided to upgrade my 20g to a 55g. This tank will be a mixed reef. For a skimmer im using a coralife super skimmer,heater im using a 200watt jebo heater and a 150watt jebo heater,im going to put a 20g sump on this tank. I have some maxi-jet power heads that ill use for some flow in the tank. Im going to be building a kalk reactor that will be hooked up to my ATO. For lights i have a T5 fixture that im going to hang from my roof,the fixture has 6 bulbs,each bulb is 54watts each,its 48inch long fixture,and i have 4 day light bulbs and 2 actinic bulbs in the light. I have 10 pounds of feather rock,and around 50 pounds of figi,and some coral skeleton,right now im curing the feather rock in my basement. Well here is a pic of the light fixture will me behind it for size...

DSC00708.jpg

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dang! Either you are really short or that light fixture is huge, hahaha. How long is that 55g tank? Arent they like 4 feet long? Well no matter what i'll be watching the progress. Very cool.

I'm 23 now and started fish keeping when I was about your age with a 29g. At your rate though you'll have a 20,000 gal shark tank by my age though :)

firefishbrain

how awesome is that keep the good work up more pics pleez when you get the tank and whatnot, what corals are you going to put in?

im 16

mushroom head

zeuss zoso-for stocking plans im going to have soft corals,lps,and sps,for fish ill have a mated pair of clownfish,a royal gramma,and i havnt decided on any other fish yet. Id also like a few clams,like a derasa or somthing. Id like to get a peperment shrimp and two skunk cleaner shrimp also,and a shrimp+goby pair.

Cesar-the light and tank are 48 inches long,and im not that tall...lol

pets_unlimited_fish_guy-thanks alot! My parents help support my hobby to so i dont pay for all of it!

Bluelegs-thanks! Well my parents help support my hobby,and i got my dad hooked on reefing so he buys lots of corals to...haha!

TIGER ACE150-thanks! I dont really see many teens or under in this hobby.

J86-thanks a bunch!

uk reefer-cool...what size of tank you got?

bil2k-lol...thanks! What size of tank you have right now?

firefishbrain-for corals soft corals,lps,and sps,ill only have a few sps cause im going to set up a sps only tank in a little bit,yeah,ill have to get some more pics soon...actually ill get some pics up tomorrow. What kind of tank you have?

Nuhtty-thanks alot!

Ya...im only 15 too...lol

Id be rich if i never had pets either! Over my span of 15 years, ive had :

-i lost track how many hamsters

-9 breeding gerbils (Maggy, Sally, Pepi, Indy, Petrie, Annie, Misti, Bailey, Maya)

-24 budgies who breed constantly (too many names to list...heres some: Chico, Ariel, Kirby, BElle, Buddy, Angel...)

-4 dogs (Max, Bear, Molly, and Koda is current)

-6 cats (Beach, Domino, Socks, Mittens, Snowy, Ben, Mariah)

-2 turtles (Cleo and CLyde)

-1 leopard gecko (Socrates)

-55g, 100g, 35g malawi cichlid tanks (still got 35g)

-my 15g SW now, soon unpgrading to 29

and i think that tops it off...for now that is...lol

I have used MY OWN money for ALL OF THESE PETS!!!....including vet, first purchases, e.t.c. My parents only helped me with the dogs and cats..lol....

Flick

7* cats

mushroom head

LOL,thanks reffer! Holy crap flick!!!!! Thats alot of pets. My parents used to have a 150g prahana tank. We went threw i think around 14 cats,right know i have 2. I used to have a red eared slider that i fed gold fish to. And right now i have my 20g reef. Wich id like to set up the 55g and then set up some kind of SPS only tank(yes i got bit by the SPS bug). Today im going to go pick up my 2 200g pails of salt :P And im also picking up a nice orange ric that is starting to split! And prolly a few other things that i forgot. I also borrowed a cheap micro scope from my friend to see if i could see anything with it,i put some phytoplankton under it(the stuff i bought)and i could see them moving around! Then i put the phytoplankton under it that im growing and i seen a few little things moving around! Im going to take samples of my tank water and see what i can see! Oh and sorry i never got any pics up. Ill get some today since i dont have school or any home work.

yea, youre definantly luck on the $ part. im setting mine up on $5 a week, plus however many cars i can wash. btw, im 14.

how about a fts.

aquadrone100377
Ya...im only 15 too...lol

Id be rich if i never had pets either! Over my span of 15 years, ive had :

-i lost track how many hamsters

-9 breeding gerbils (Maggy, Sally, Pepi, Indy, Petrie, Annie, Misti, Bailey, Maya)

-24 budgies who breed constantly (too many names to list...heres some: Chico, Ariel, Kirby, BElle, Buddy, Angel...)

-4 dogs (Max, Bear, Molly, and Koda is current)

-6 cats (Beach, Domino, Socks, Mittens, Snowy, Ben, Mariah)

-2 turtles (Cleo and CLyde)

-1 leopard gecko (Socrates)

-55g, 100g, 35g malawi cichlid tanks (still got 35g)

-my 15g SW now, soon unpgrading to 29

and i think that tops it off...for now that is...lol

I have used MY OWN money for ALL OF THESE PETS!!!....including vet, first purchases, e.t.c. My parents only helped me with the dogs and cats..lol....

Flick

7* cats

I can beat that :o I've had:

-too many hermit and fidler crabs to count

-3 bearded dragons

-2 pacman frogs

-10 or so salamanders

-9 baby red eared slider turtles

-1 thai crab

-1 leopard geko

-1 pixie toad

-1 emerald swift (that's a lizard)