SaltCritters.com

Nano-Reef.com - Pico Contest! - General Contest Discussion

Gilman

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going with some unusual inverts as my Fish/Invert Category (ie. 2 Boxer Crabs, One Staghorn Crab)

And for Corals Softies, and maybe some ACAN LORD :o :o :o

Also, so you guys think it has to be a reef? Im thinking about pullin' an UprightJoe type thing, with the macro and what not... Maybe some non-reefsafe stuff too.

Yep totally agree w/ this statement. I've done enough reefs and i too will probobly try something differnt but what? Ive always had a flair for nudi's:) and this contest just might give me da chance to do a special kind of setup.

nudis are tricky to get the spoung they eat, I dont suggest it but its be awsome to see. I think that there needs to be a thread for ideas for tanks and then leave this for the rules. I'll start one and then we can discuss what we plan to do with our tank. I'll post link in a few.

-greg

Im thinkin a little arrow crab. is it the males or females that are smaller? maybe 2.5 is too small for them...

Way too small for em buddy best forget the idea. And phergus not all nudi's eat sponges you know. I once saw a webpage devoted entirly to them anybody remember it.

ya...read the first thing on here...i am guessing you are talking about the 2.5minibow and changing the bulb to 10w coralife screw in PC....BTW you cant fit the 20w without doing some modification...so your lights wood be pretty weak

Originally posted by EtOH_is_good

nippy, why did you edit your post?  it was a very valid point.

my bad on previous lighting post.  didn't read the proposed rules too carefully.  supernip suggested that the whole point of the contest was to have a good looking pico tank.  it takes some real skills for a low light tank.  if the tank needs colorful coral then decent lighting is required.  suggest that the stock tank lighting has enough juice to make the most common zoas pop with color.  decent pc lamps should work in stock class.  mh has a place, but probably more in the open class.

it's not my place to ruin everyone's fun. but another question, does your 6 gal limit purely water, or overall ability to hold? I think this might have been addressed before. sorry im not really all here

***NEWSFLASH***

THE MINIBOW HAS BEEN TAKEN OUT OF THE BASIC CONTEST! THE BASIC CONTEST WILL NOW USE A STANDARD AGA 2.5 (or any standard glass 2.5 with trim).

Lighting options for the group buy are still being discussed.

PLEASE READ THROUGH THE PART OF THE ANNOUNCEMENT THAT EXPLAINS THE BASICS OF BOTH THE BASIC AND THE CUSTOM CONTEST. THE INFORMATION HAS CHANGED A BIT. THANKS!

WTH? Why wouldn't the MB qualify so long as it isn't modified? I seriously almost bought one tonight with intent to enter the stock contest!

[rant] I don't see how this "evens out the playing field" The minibow has disadvantages like the lack of room in the hood for lights. I mean, while you are at it, why don't you just make a list of exactly the equipment that we have to buy to qualify for stock. Then we could list exactly what fish and corals have to be in it too, because if someone puts an acan in it that someone else can't afford that also could give them an advantage. [/rant]

Ranting is not a problem! I embrace your anger. :flower:

The thing is, making the basic contest revolve around a particular tank will make judging a basic competition much more....well.....basic. From an initial organizational and later down the line a judging standpoint it just makes more sense to keep the basic contest limited to one particular tank.

the final rules/terms of the contest have not been posted. you probably shouldnt buy your equipment (aside from official group buy stuff) before rules are posted.

omg. 2001

The "official" in the thread title means the contest is officially happening. There are numerous references to official rules being released soon, and rules being changed, and discussion of rules happening here in the announcement.

The rules haven't been written yet. I will be working on getting them into writing over the weekend.

:flower:

Can I get more input on the basic contest being a standard 2.5 and not a choice of standard or bow? Are there others upset by this? Enquiring minds want to know.....

:woot: Thank you for being open minded to the idea! For the record, I'm in no matter what. I might just have to make the standard AGA prettier because its going in my 2 year old daughters pink bedroom :)

i agree with the the No Minibow in Basic...because it looks better...which could give them the advantage...but then again it may not look better because of the lighting...your corals could look washed out...also even though there is the same amount of water..i think you can have more space for corals in the Minibow b.c. of the dimmensions (depending on your aquascape)...if you want to do the minibow so much than just get the 20w and mod the hood...and then you would go in the OPEN category....TMHO

Archived