Top Shelf Aquatics

Nano-Reef.com - Pico Contest! - General Contest Discussion

Gilman

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone :)

I went to Petsmart today, and picked up a 2.5 gallon AGA for Ten dollars. I think it was a good deal, considering it came with a glass top also :)

When reefs.org did their general "nano buildoff" the tanks were "judged for creativity, overall presentation, and the health of the system".

I see two ways of judging the entries for this contest.

1. Judge only the presentation of the main tank itself on the 3 points listed above, everything else just needs to fit into the equipment requirements. This would probably be all thats needed for Stock class. For open class, this would perhaps help to not separate the different skill levels of the participants, and would probably be the most fair across the board.

2. Main tank contributes to most of the points, but parts of the system as a whole could be taken into consideration. This would probably only work for Open class. A small percentage of the final scrore would allow judging of customization of the whole system. This may segregate the different skill levels of the entrants though, but would take into consideration if one system has a more unique, and better working design than another one.

For #2, an example would be:

Main tank: 70% of total score

Lighting: 10%

Filtration: 10%

total system implementation: 10%

Perhaps just bring it down to 2 scores:

Main tank score based on the 3 points: 80%

Total system design: 20%

nope..they are allowed BUT...you will not be judged on that....it all matters on tank not the hood or lights or whatever is up there...it matters on the tank itself (if that makes scence)

2.5g standards don't commonly come with hoods, and the ones available, if you can find them, just won't work for reefs at all, so hoods or commercial fixtures are allowed as long as the wattage fits within the rules for stock.

Hi all,

Gil could you clarify a couple of things for us UK reefers. We can't get the branded tanks over here easily but we can get 2.5USG tanks with the same dimensions. Would they be okay?

The other thing is I'm not sure what you mean by trim. Do you mean the opaque material wrapped round the top that I've seen on quite a few US tanks? Again its not common round here so if we wanted to enter stock we'd presumeably have to add the trim to our tanks to level the playing field.

Could someone post a pic of one of these tanks so we know what we're dealing with?

Cheers,

Ed

P.S. Why did I have to order my custom acrylic 3USG cylinder tank 2 days before this contest was anounced :(

Ahh that makes sense. Don't tend to see that all that much on small tanks over here (or on some larger ones for that matter). Great, another thing to build :(

Cheers for posting the pic,

Ed

I'm in! probably the open cat, we'll see. I have a question about the sump/fuge deal... Do they have to be seperate tanks? basicly what I'm asking is can I get an AGA 5.5 and section off a "display section" that is the exact same dimentions as the 2.5AGA and black out the borders so that all you see is a 2.5 with a huge "frame" around it?

Originally posted by Xytrix01

I'm in! probably the open cat, we'll see. I have a question about the sump/fuge deal... Do they have to be seperate tanks? basicly what I'm asking is can I get an AGA 5.5 and section off a "display section" that is the exact same dimentions as the 2.5AGA and black out the borders so that all you see is a 2.5 with a huge "frame" around it?

With how the rules are going so far, I'd say this is acceptable, as long as total system volume is still within allowed values. Interesting design though :)

yep, it would have a total system volume of at most 5.5 gallons, as the outer tank could only hold that much. I think it would turn out very nice. I want to use black acrylic for the display part i think...we'll see. Hopefully I'll still qualify with this design, because it hasn't been specified yet that the location of the tank and the sump have to be separate!!!

I like Xytrix01 original idea, as it allows for a longer "flow" through the fuge.

on a side not could someone give me a couple of names for custom made acylic tanks? cheaper the better.

To gil or anybody else that knows:can i start to modify my tank before the contest starts or do i have to wait till the start date?

Oh its for the open class!

Archived