Cultivated Reef

Nano-Reef.com - Pico Contest! - General Contest Discussion

Gilman

I know this is kinda late to post but the two age brackets Really ISNT A BAD IDEA

that way the older reefers(20+) wont have the advantage of pulling fraggs out of their 20 Gallon+ Tanks and stuffing it.

As opposed to us buying like 200$ of corals

just to cover 1 Side of our Tanks

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i LOVE THAT IDEA ^^^^^ i would love to have something like that BUT...then how do you split up the prizes???? you cant..(i dont think)...we dont have enough prizes to do that do we????

I, as a 16 year old reefer and a big part in getting this going, am pretty irritated with the idea of having 2 age classes, I could pull frags out of my 20 if I wanted you dont have to be old to have another tank. I think that its kinda pompus to say that the older you are the better your tank will be. JMHO.

-greg

well...the older you are the more LIKELY to have more experience....it was just a statement...chillax...nothing happened or anything just a statement made.....

lol....ya...ok it must of been the way i read it (it sounded a little bit mad) but i dont care....ya..its my favorite combination of 2 words..lol

BTW...a little off topic but can someone help me out on my other thread called My Plate Coral...he might be dying..please help

thanks

Josh

Since I didn't approach the sponsors with the idea that the contest was going to have 2 parts (one for over 18 one for under 18...), I think the original plan for 2 contests will stand.

The official list of rules has NOT been written yet. I will be the one more than likely coming up with the list myself (unless I can get phergus to come up with another basic backbone for me to work with again).

What I want to figure out is some sort of standard for the sumps in custom category. I am fine with the main tank being any 2.5 tank (custom built or otherwise), but I think the sump should be something standard. People should be allowed to do whatever they want to the standard sized sump tank (like make a fuge/sump or fuge or just sump), but the secondary tanks should all be the same in order to create a consistancy in system volume.

As far as figuring out rules in this thread........YES I am using this thread to gauge how the rules are put together. I am considering everything that is being discussed here. There are still some things I can think of off hand that I am not positive on right now for the rules. Here they are....

1. Can we have a standard sump tank size (or smaller) for custom category.

2. Deciding on ultimate system volume for custom category tanks (#1 will figure this if a standard is set)

3. Figuring out lighting standard for the basic contest.

4.Length of the contest (is 6 months too long? too short?)

5. Start date of contest.. (is the start date too soon?)

6. the judging (who is judging what?)

Originally posted by Gilman

1. Can we have a standard sump tank size (or smaller) for custom category.

2. Deciding on ultimate system volume for custom category tanks (#1 will figure this if a standard is set)

3. Figuring out lighting standard for the basic contest.

4.Length of the contest (is 6 months too long? too short?)

5. Start date of contest.. (is the start date too soon?)

6. the judging (who is judging what?)

1. I think a 5.5g would be sufficiant.

2. No more than 8g TOTAL, but main tank must be a 2.5g.

3. Lighting...What every you want...

4. 6-7 months.

5. Start date, Oct. 10th would be best.

6. I don't realy care ;)

Just my Oppinion B)

Originally posted by Travis

1.  I think a 5.5g would be sufficiant.

2.  No more than 8g TOTAL, but main tank must be a 2.5g.

3.  Lighting...What every you want...

4.  6-7 months.

5.  Start date, Oct. 10th would be best.

6.  I don't realy care ;)

Just my Oppinion B)

I agree with this BUT i think it should start on a weekend so:

the 15th or 16th (15th is a saturday and 16th is a sunday) OR friday the 14th whichever...i like having 6 months to do this thing..longet the better IMO...AND you cant have whatever you want for Basic because then it wouldnt be Basic...so we should set a standard...like the highest you can go is _____watts of PC's

The Coralife 20w Screw in's. Obviously the MB2.5 won't fit it in the stock hood, but the AGA 2.5 will have to have a DIY hood right? Well, your can definantyl fit in the 2x20w Coralife Screw-ins.

Me, myself, I will be in the Open contest and going with a 70w MH set up.

I am so down for this contest. And Im 15 too :pirate:!

For the lighting, I think stock should allow at least 36w of pc, cause thats what I had planned: 1 10w 50/50 screw-in and 2 13w. I've already got all that, so i wouldn't want to be stuck in the open category with a mediocre setup...But the contest shouldn't revolve around me, so whatever.

Also, so you guys think it has to be a reef? Im thinking about pullin' an UprightJoe type thing, with the macro and what not... Maybe some non-reefsafe stuff too.

And I don't think there should be a limit to lighting in the open category, cause let's say you had a 175w halide lying around... You could hang it a few feet up, and it'd be good. I want to see some fully loaded 2.5's!!!!!!

Archived