ReefCleaners.org

Nano-Reef.com - Pico Contest! - General Contest Discussion

Gilman

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lolol...hey CGNano...that is what i had...that Yuma in phergus_25's sig..that is the kind....i had..(for those of you who didnt see my thread) i had about 20 of those and they were all dying...make a long story short and i traded them in for store credit...now i can use that store credit for my 2.5g..;):D

Looks like there is more interest in this tank build than any other. Since there is so much interest with the younger members I suggest two age brackets...maybe a juvenile division for the 16 and under crowd. That way they're competing in an even field even though we know they'll get help from the folks. Plus, I want to enter myself and since I'm 50 I can enter the under 16 division 4 times!

hey, this is not a chat room. not a whole lot of fun reading all the back slapping on how young you all are.

a group buy on lighting sounds fab. suggest a lot of watts per gallon. pc is probably most practical.

EtOh, think you can cut the young'ns some slack man? :P Hell, I think it's great there's so many young guns in on this contest... they bring originality and fresh ideas.

Cheers,

Jared

OK...I'll use the best three out of four!!

Can you make your own tank and keep it under/at the 2.5 gal limit or does it have to be one of those two production models that you suggested?

So is someone going to step up and organize a group buy for the basic contest light systems?

I vote oogie (oogie mentioned the group buy in chat) or Tigahboy to handle organizing group buy/s for the contest......... (up to either one of them if they want the task of course)....

Whoever ends up deciding to handle it.... start a thread in the pico forum here to monitor progress and those involved. I will sticky the thread to keep it at the top of the forum.

ok? ok.

Gilman, as for "Any external plumbing must not bring the complete system volume above 6 gallons."... I asume we don't have to calculate in the volume held by the PLUMBING (pipes/hoses) itself, right? just sumps, refugiums, etc, right?

I'm just cuting it close, so I need to be careful.

Thanks,

Jared

For the people in europe, etc... AGA's official tank sizes are listed here: http://www.all-glass.com/products/aquarium.../standard.shtml

2 1/2g = 12"x6"x8" (you metric guys can figure out the conversion on your own :P)

Custom made 2.5g tanks should be allowed in the custom category. I'll me modding a stock 2.5g'er but have no problem going up against someone who'd building a custom 2.5g acrylic, for example.

Also, why limit the stock to only AGA brand 2.5g tanks? As long as it's a STOCK "2.5g" tank, it should be allowed. Doesn't Perfecto sell 2.5g tanks? (thought mine was one). Shouldn't matter if it's AGA 2.5g, Mini-Bow 2.5g Hexagonal 2.5g, banana shaped 2.5g, etc.. as long as it's a stock tank thats commercially available.

i got a rimless asian tank that's a 2.5 =) let me enter it in the stock competition yay.

So question, can I add a hood and base and still be in the stock category? Like one of those cute little mattgecko combos. if so, who wants in on a group buy? =D

Originally posted by Daemonfly

Also, why limit the stock to only AGA brand 2.5g tanks? As long as it's a STOCK "2.5g" tank, it should be allowed. Doesn't Perfecto sell 2.5g tanks? (thought mine was one).

Sounds good to me. Not sure about rimless though super. Standard tanks aren't rimless. Rimless may need to be in the custom category?

Originally posted by Daemonfly

Shouldn't matter if it's AGA 2.5g, Mini-Bow 2.5g Hexagonal 2.5g, banana shaped 2.5g, etc.. as long as it's a stock tank thats commercially available.

For the stock contest, to keep the judging a bit more manageable and less distracting, I still think the tanks should be the standard rectangle 2.5 (not sure of exact dimensions) or the 2.5 aga minibow. Less confusing for lighting options, and makes the possibility of a group buy price on lighting more likely (since in stock category everyone will need the same lighting for their same sized tanks).

Would it be 'legal' to plumb the 2.5G into a 5G sump so long as the water level in the sump isn't high enough to take the total system volume above 6 gallons?

can i enter

im from the uk only 14 been reading this forum for a couple of months and would love to enter this competition so if some one could e mail me the dimentions of the aga tank i can get building :)

if you guys let me play i will enter the costom section

thanks

steve

Archived