ReefCleaners.org

Zapatista's 40 gallon - formerly "Help I want a Clownfish!"

Zapatista

New toy...

123-2378_IMG.JPG

Ranco Digital controller...I have two fans over the sump which are programmed to the digital controller.

When the temp reaches 79, the fans click on until the temp reaches 77.5-78. The heater is set to 78 so what ends up happening is the fans and heater end up competing very little and the fans dont run all the time. Also, by shutting the fans off and on, I will be spared about 1 gallon less evap. per day and my heater wont constantly be running.

Before I had fans on the sump the tank temp was about 82 and just by having fans run directly at the water in the sump, I was able to pull the temp down to 73 without the heater running...goes to show the power of evaporation.

Now I just need to find some small honeywell fans to blow hot air from under the pendant and my temp. issues should be resolved.

Now on to noise issues.........

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello - didnt know anyone ever looked at my thread LOL..

fans worked great....you called it! I just wish they were slightly smaller and black (less conspicuous) instead of white and giant but I guess they will do for now until I can get some new ones next summer.

Temp controller is a ranko from diyreef....funny story I was in sonoma visiting one of my clients (Tin Barn Vineyards) and they were using a Ranko temp controller on their Stainless Steel fermentation tank..LOL...he was confused when I told him I had the exact same temp. controller on my reef tank.

yeah...but you know it doesn't really bug me. When you go with an open top system and have a pendant light, spillover it kind of inevitable..

plus now I dont have to pay for all those damn tanning bed sessions...I can stare at my reef and look LA fab at the same time. :D

yeah...but you know it doesn't really bug me.

You said the fans do bug you. If you focused your light you could use a lower wattage pendent.

• 2 weeks later...

1st 20LBS of cooked rock have gone in....Just in the nick of time, I couldn't stare at an empty box of water any longer.

Here is a picture with starboard and PVC risers in place. I still have another 25lbs that should go in next week!

124-2426_IMG.JPG

one more angle.......

124-2427_IMG.JPG

Awesome tank dude! Where did you get the small coffee table thing on the leftside of your tank? I need one of those to put my switches in also...

Pro- I built it out of 2x2s and some pine boards...It look about 45 mins to put together and ended up costing about $10.00.

Your cube is looking great also!!

pointy sticks=tonga branch live rock rubble

The base rock is still cooking so the aquascaping nowhere near complete..It should look much better when the rest of the rock goes in.

For now I just wanted to get some biological build-up to happen.

thanks for the nice compliment sebea! This tank will blow minds once things start really happening!!

Looks good, Eben. I can't wait to see it fully stocked in a few months.

According to the UPS website, my Super Squirt will be delivered today. I should finish up the plumbing by this weekend and start moving the old tank into the 29. I'll take plenty of pictures and update my post on RC.

By the way, what would you charge to build me one of those little tables? I picked up the American DJ unit from Guitar Center after I left your house and I've been trying to figure out what to do with it. I don't really want to put it inside the stand... that table would be perfect, and I think the wife would be okay with it, too. :)

-Scott

hey scott...

I think we can work something out...I'm MIA until Friday but we can chat on Sunday..do you still have my ph#?

If not let me know and I will shoot you a PM.

added the rest of the rock today...55lbs total..

I am going to keep the rocks shallow and let the corals (stags, deepwater, tabling, etc) fill the tank in..

124-2428_IMG.JPG

looking good, geek! my computer crashed this past week so i've been without n-r.com and the internet for like 4 days now...i feel so out of touch with the world.

not to mention i've got final papers to write this week and stuff...luckily there were some awesome thanksgiving day sales and i picked up a hp notebook for fairly cheap. now to get my sony fixed and i'll be happy as a...clam.

hope you had a good thanksgiving, eben! lmk when you're gonna stock this bad boy!

-danny

shut up and get back to paper writing...LOL...who you callin' geek? I'm going to aqualife tomorrow to pick up a resident...a red head goby!! Oh, and some snails and hermits...

Cesar- thanks! Hopefully when I get my SPS back it will look less like a pile of rocks and more like a reef...

Stay Tuned...

I stole the red headed goby that jmorris (jared) was going to get for his pico..LOL. sorry Jared

anyways, he is a very curious, neat little fish. However, I dont know how he feels about starboard...

124-2436_IMG.JPG

side view of the system...new 18 gallon tall glass tank for top-off...it evaporates 1.5-2 gallons per day..yikes.

124-2439_IMG.JPG

central command center...PH probe, Tunze top-off, and temp...the ranko controller is one the floor behind the stand.

124-2441_IMG.JPG

lookin good man. i jsut got a new fish too, but lets just say i wont tell you what it is cause the "pigs" will be all over my arse ha ha. get your stuff back so i can come check out your system man, we can do some trading for sure some time down the road

oooo...you better photoshop that fish out of your tank!! I can hear the sirens already..LOL

I can tell that my rocks are getting a slight cyano outbreak so I will let things mellow a few weeks and make sure params are ok..so far -

nitrates -0

phosphates - 0

ph - 8.1-8.3

alk - 9

calc - 380

everything seems fine...Im guessing the cyano is a result of the rocks being in the dark for 1 month...but once the sps goes in...GAME ON!!

I have been eying a few SPS pieces in your tank that I'd love to trade for ;)

LS................?

Lots of Stuff?

Large Stonies?

Leaping Sweetlips?

LOL....just kidding....Im guessing you mean Live Sand? Well the answer is never! It is a bare bottom tank...besides there is way to much flow for sand..it would get sucked into the closed loop and clog the pump and get blown all over the tank..

I set up this tank for the express purpose of not having sand...besides, once it begins to get filled in with corals you will never notice the lack of sand.

Archived