Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Zapatista's 40 gallon - formerly "Help I want a Clownfish!"

Zapatista

Wow..you actually looked at this thread....you must be really confused!

Let's continue....

What we've got here is an acrylic 36x15x16 40 gallonish or so breeder.......

It's going to be 95.65378% SPS with some Zoos, and some fish. Maybe a seahorse, a puffer (I really like stars and stripes puffers) a baby of course, a huma triger fish, maybe an octopus if it will get along with the trigger, and a flame scallop.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok..so maybe I was going a little overboard with the fish list...LOL I guess I'm a dick.

Here is the real specs.

Its gonna have a light...aquamedic 36" 250x2 DE with T-5's

Its gonna have a skimmer....ASM G1-X

It has a Calc. Reactor....MRC CR Nano (rated for 100 Gallons or so)

It has a sump....29 gallon truve

The return pump is a quite one 4000 (1000 GPH, with head loss 800)

It's gonna have a closed loop....Pan World 50 PX-X (1110 GPH) on an OM Super Squirt.

Total turnover should be about 2000 GPH or 50X in the display.

For top-off I will be using a tunze osmolator.

The overflow box is custom made and external. The dimesions are 11wide by 3deep by 13 tall.

It should be a fun project!!!

wow, those holes look like they've been rounded out by a semi-pro, dremel weilding guy. not too shabby. i love how you already have so much of the plumbing done... "busy season" my ass. :D

ha...those holes look so crooked..lol. OUR HOLES look nice, but the idiot must have made those other holes with his eyes closed :)

Oh yeah..we used 3 or 4 dremel bits..I personally broke 2 of them. HAHA

Hey, I was right by Home Depot today and the temptation to see if 2 dursos would fit in the overflow was too tempting...and guess what, they JUST BARELY fit. I'm talking 1/8 on an inch to spare.

lmao. The name of your thread and what you did make me like you so much more. :) The tank looks nice. I'm following your thread just because you are awesome. :)

~Kogut.

lol, yeah, the holes the previous owner had 'drilled'(and i use that word extremely loosely) looked absolutely horrid. i honestly think that the guy decided against hand tools and went animal kingdom on the tank. i'd bet that he actually used his own teeth to chew out some of these holes. :D

haha...some of those holes look really bad!!!! should have just used a hole saw. they are so easy to use. i am curently trying to setup that 72 hex. i drilled 6 holes and it looks awesome.

I'm back after flying from Oahu and getting struck by lighting...thats right..my plane got hit by lighting and it was some scary S@#T!!! We turned around and landed back in Honolulu.

I finally got home to sacto 10 hours later that scheduled

Anyways...ASM GX-1 on the way for pick up and I should have the lights soon. Plumbing should also be done by the end of the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

progress!

I've got my lights...2d250DE OceanMedic w/Phoenix 14K - Thanks T

I'm worried about the amount of heat these light will transfer to a 40 breeder with 15 gallons or so in the sump (these suckers burn HOT!!) but I guess that I can use multiple fans and hang the lights 10-12 inches up. I've been assured that fans will get the tank to 80 degrees or so.

Comments or experience would be greatly appreciated.

123-2326_IMG.JPG

Sump...I was able to fit a GSM 1X skimmer and my Calc Reactor (MRC) into the 29 gallon sump so there will be no water outside of the immediate tank (except for the ATO system)

It was a tight fit but it worked!

123-2328_IMG.JPG

Ocean Medic ballast (this sucker is huge and generates some decent noise) and American DJ power center x 2. one strip will control all sump apparatus (for easy water changes) and one will control closed loop, ATO, etc...

123-2330_IMG.JPG

back view of the plumbing..

there are 9 holes drilled in total..

the bottom 3 are all 3/4 intakes for the closed loop. the middle two are returns for the closed loop, and the top for are 2 sump returns and 2 closed loop returns.

the closed loop with run off a Pan world PX-100 (1270 GHP) and the return will be a quiteone 4000. the closed loop will also be split by an oceans motions super squirt and will fire the bottom two returns (1 and 3) and then fire the top two returns (2 and 4) which will have black 3/4 inch 45 degree bends that focus the water down and forward. this should get more flow towards the bottom instead of creating too much surface flow and splashing.

the returns will also have 90 degree black PVC elbows which will fire the water straight down blowing off all detritus of the rocks and keep the Bare Bottom super clean.

total turnover should amount to 1800 GPH or 45X turnover.

123-2329_IMG.JPG

top down view of external overflow and some plumbing..note the saran wrap for extra protection. Ribbed for my pleasure! J/K

123-2331_IMG.JPG

damn, eben...i don't think i've ever seen that much pvc in a 36"x16" plane in my life. damn you and damn dennis for making the upgrade bug bite!! i think i might be truly looking to upgrade pretty soon here. jerks.

lmk if you need any help, man.

the Pan world 100PX and the quite one return are on the way as is the OM super Squirt.

Eveything should be here by Friday...

Do I hear weekend plumbing party?? Oh yeah, I'm taking all my nice stuff to Rich's (Sand dollars) tomorrow around 7. What is your schedule like? Do you want to go check his set-up out?

seven sounds good to me...call me to let me know where to meet you...i've got to help rachael out with her mentoring program for a little bit tomorrow after class(her mentee is a soccer player, so i get to go teach her some super sweet, leave-the-defender-crying moves!). i can do a plumbing get together on sunday(around noon or so), but i can't do fri/sat cuz we're going camping.

anyway, gimme a ring tomorrow and i'll let you know if i can shoot over to rich's with you or not.

LOL... so you came in a paid all that $$$$$ for those bulkheads, and your still not finished with the plumming? get cracking man!

j/k.

good luck,

Jared (from Aqua Life)

dude...I still had to buy 3 more 1"!!! 2 for the 2 overflow holes into the sump and 1 for the returns pump.

I just got the return pump and the CL pump so I should have to plumbed and working (fingers crossed) by Sunday.

My 29 gallon is almost down...at least all the Tyree and other nice SPS is out. I should have everything else out by Friday and once the plumbing is finished have the new tank in its spot.

Then, I'm sunbaking the rocks for 3 weeks (protozoa other crap need to die) then cooking/recycling for about 1 mo.

It's not really going to be up and going until mid Dec...bummer

Archived