Pod Your Reef

Zapatista's 40 gallon - formerly "Help I want a Clownfish!"

Zapatista

LOL!!

I can see the headlines in the sac bee..

SAC STATE COLLEGE STUDENT GETS IN A GOLF COURSE FIGHT AND BREAKS AN OLD MAN'S HIP....NEWS AT 11

you dork!!! haha

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

better FTS with more accurate colors (slightly more yellow that usual but I still think it looks good)

T-5 update, colors have improved dramatically over the last week..bleached pieces are coloring back up and overall health of all SPS seems to be much better...goes to show there is such a thing as too much light!

125-2534_CRW_copy.jpg

thanks..I agree that there is no comparison to how much better sand looks than no sand..it was just a matter of funtionality and health of the system in my case.

Sorry Travis....I sold out :(

Yeah I am super stoked how it looks with sand...barebottom?? more like bareboring..LOL

Well if I never! :lol: jk.

I think I may have to make the switch also...what kind of sand did you use? Dry in bag?

LOL!! I was waiting for you to kick my ass...haha

I used argonite (sp?) dry...I just washed the heck out of it with RODI, and then gave it a quick wash in temperature adjusted, salinity adjusted RODI so when I dumped it in there were no param swings..

I had to change the closed loop a bit so sand didnt have an effect it, but so far SPS response has been great...i just made sure that no sand got under the rocks so I can replace parts of the sand bed (weast style) easily when it gets tired.

• 4 weeks later...

update or die, is250 driver. you sicken me.

oh, that guy still hasn't gotten back to me about the sump yet...i think i might have to buck up and buy a glass 30l and...drill...again. :rolleyes:

i hate my life.

• 3 months later...
NanoReefer411

Hey,

Looking through your thread. Looks awesome with the sand. Isn't it possible to buy Arag Alive sand that never needs replacing? I don't know. I would think it would be a pain in the butt to replace. Maybe I just didn't understand your post completely. I have a question, I am setting up a 40 gallon breeder myself. I want the closed loop system. I will also incorportate a sump/fuge. My questions to you are, what size hole should I drill for my overflow? Should I place the overflow in the middle? I want the sump fuge as follows Intake-refugium-uptake into main display tank. I was thinking of using a Quiet One externally for my return and then maybe a Quiet One as well for the closed loop. What do you think? If I have the overflow in the middle of the tank, I would need to redirect the draining into the left compartment to the sump. Would this reduce flow? Any Ideas on how to do this? How many returns would you put on the closed loop? Here is a list on the types of corals I want to keep, Clams, Orange Caps, Hammer Corals, Pumping Xenia, Fiji Leather Corals, Frogspawn, Zoos, Star burst Corals, when my skills grow maybe a bushing

Acropora coral, Plate coral,Tube coral. These are my wish list corals. I want to have a DSB as I have read they are very beneficial.

Basically if this was your tank, what would you do? It's an AGA. Thank you.

Archived