SaltCritters.com

40 Gallon Custom

calvin415

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sucks man. :angry: I hate aptasia. Luckily, I've only delt with one polyp in one of my very, very old tanks so it was nuked quickly with kalk paste. I've seen it totally destroy tanks before though. I hope those peppermints work out for ya! Good luck!

-Dan

That sucks man. :angry: I hate aptasia. Luckily, I've only delt with one polyp in one of my very, very old tanks so it was nuked quickly with kalk paste. I've seen it totally destroy tanks before though. I hope those peppermints work out for ya! Good luck!

-Dan

Thanks Dan, I've had good luck with them in the past, the trick is to not feed the tank so they are starving; only then will they eat the aptasia. If you feed the tank anything they will find the food and leave the pests alone...

wow...that is one of the most professional looking setup i have ever seen....unparalelled...good job calvin

Thanks bro! Appreciate the compliment!

Calvin, sweet sweety sweet stuff! i have never once in my life read an entire thread through every page. good lord. thats some fine work you did there! keep it up !

Calvin, sweet sweety sweet stuff! i have never once in my life read an entire thread through every page. good lord. thats some fine work you did there! keep it up !

Wow! What a compliment! Thanks so much donta42!

definately exciting to tag along. btw thanks for all the amazingly helpful information you've given me so far. You're one of the greater additions to the nano-reef community, that's for sure =)

definately exciting to tag along. btw thanks for all the amazingly helpful information you've given me so far. You're one of the greater additions to the nano-reef community, that's for sure =)

Wow! What can I say to something like this!? :blush: Thank you so much for the kind words! Glad I was able to help you, and hope I can do more in the future!

Tested my water again last night, I can't believe it, no ammonia, no nitrite, and just a trace of nitrate... Guess it pays to cook your rock!

Hired some peppermints to do some killing. :)

DSCN1542.jpg

DSCN1544.jpg

Sea_Of_Treachery

i think the Watanabei Angel would be kinda big. how about a Carberryi Anthias- 3", or a Dispar Anthias- 4" for a centerpiece? tank looks great!

before I cooked my rock for my new project I let it bake in the sun for 3 weeks to kill protozoans/unwanted zoos/aptasia or all other evil dooers...then I recycled/cooked the rock for the last 2 months..

hopefully your peppermint will be able to take care of the problem....maybe you can make a banner for him that says "Mission Accomplished" once all the aptasia are gone...I heard that will really boost peppermint shrimp morale.

Great Tank! I cant wait to see it chock full of life...

Eric, how did you cook the rock? Just put it in a bucket with a heater, and a powerhead, and put a lid on it?

Yep! Took a trash can, used water from a tank I was taking down. Filled it with all the rock I had threw in a pump and did a flatworm exit treatment on the whole thing (was infested). Slapped on a lid and let it sit for the last 3 months.

i think the Watanabei Angel would be kinda big. how about a Carberryi Anthias- 3", or a Dispar Anthias- 4" for a centerpiece? tank looks great!

I agree, decided agaist an angel (maybe some day I'll get one) and the only definates are at least 1 wrasse, at least 1 blenny and at least 1 goby... The rest is a mystery but the tank will at least have these 3 fish. :)

before I cooked my rock for my new project I let it bake in the sun for 3 weeks to kill protozoans/unwanted zoos/aptasia or all other evil dooers...then I recycled/cooked the rock for the last 2 months...

hopefully your peppermint will be able to take care of the problem....maybe you can make a banner for him that says "Mission Accomplished" once all the aptasia are gone...I heard that will really boost peppermint shrimp morale.

Great Tank! I cant wait to see it chock full of life...

Drying out the rock also kills the bacteria, I didn't want to go that far... As for the aptasia, I looked this morning, and all I see are the big ones left. Guess I'll have to nuke them and let the peppermints clean up. :) I'll look into that banner. LOL!!!

Thanks for the compliments, I hope to start considering fish either next week or the week after that and then once I start to see coraline I'll start with some corals. :)

Baking the rocks was a little extreme...It really has been a pain waiting for bacteria to re-populate the rocks..I'd say it took 1.5 months to really get the ammonia and nitrite from the die-off back down to 0.

I hate having to be patient...

Just started cooking my rock today, thanks for the advice. Hopefully it will be ready once I get the tank up and running!

BTW, I am going to set my tank up as a prop system until after the move. :D

Just started cooking my rock today, thanks for the advice. Hopefully it will be ready once I get the tank up and running!

BTW, I am going to set my tank up as a prop system until after the move. :D

Cool!

I'm trying to decide on my first fish for the tank, I'm thinking a Yellow Watchman Goby, anyone think differently?

That's my goal! I was reviewing the blennies and it doesn't look like there are too many that are both colorful and safe. The two I wanted was the Yellow Canary but they are poisonous if bitten (not taking that risk) the Bi-Colored looks great, but can nip clams and polyps if it gets in a mood so I'm not taking that risk either. Looks like Gobies will be it other than a wrasse or two. So here's my current plan please let me know if you see any problems.

1 Rainsford Gobies but based on this description "Best behaviour is exhibited when five or more are kept together." Should I consider making this my schooling fish? Is this an active swimmer? Should I just go with some neon gobies?

marinedepotlive_1872_8011764.gif

1 Yellow Watchman/Pistol Shrimp pair

marinedepotlive_1872_10193803.gif

1 Randal's/Pistol Shrimp pair

marinedepotlive_1871_7195905.gif

1 Firefish

marinedepotlive_1871_7518828.gif

1 Purple Firefish

marinedepotlive_1871_11108478.gif

1 Painted Fairy Wrasse or other colorful wrasse

marinedepotlive_1873_3140428.gif

1 Randal's/Pistol Shrimp pair

marinedepotlive_1871_7195905.gif

I highly highly recommend the randalli goby. I don't know why more people don't have this goby over the other ones. This goby has a GREAT personality.

I just got one last week, and I've been searching for them for months. People don't seem to buy them, and there isn't a high demmand, but I have yet to find a reason why.

Compared to my Highfin / Blackray goby, my Randalli always hangs out on the substrate instead of a cave. He even shares the cave with the blackray, even though blackray complains by opening his mouth really big. The goby just doesn't care for the blackray, and the blackray eventually gives up and accepts the intruder.

The randalli never hides when fish come by. He's not afraid of the flame angel, nor the clowns, or the shrimp. Nothing. He's out and about all day, all over the substrate. Whenever he's approached by a nassarius, or scarlet hermit, his fin goes up a couple times, displaying his eyespot. It looks really awesome, and the fin is a lot bigger than you think. So I see the randalli all day, hanging out, eating food, and not letting any fish push him around. He's totally peaceful, never fights with the blackray or any of the snails that have actually crawled on him.

He does sometimes swim over to the rocks and sits in front of the blackray's home. for some reason these gobies love that spot. But he never hides.

The randalli is one of my favorite gobies =)

get it!

Archived