Top Shelf Aquatics

40 Gallon Custom

calvin415

Here's some more shots stepping back...

DSCN1512.jpg

This one makes the walls look green (they are not) so just focus on the tank. :)

DSCN1513.jpg

DSCN1516.jpg

DSCN1517.jpg

DSCN1518.jpg

DSCN1519.jpg

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:o Shocking .. I'm at a loss for words :o

Very VEry VERY VERY .. NICE JOB! ;)

Anyone says anything bad about it ! :angry: deals with me!

Finally a real pro ^^ :lol:

Maybe i can get tips from you on building tanks xD and stands ect ^^

beautiful tank . =]

:o Shocking .. I'm at a loss for words :o

Very VEry VERY VERY .. NICE JOB! ;)

Anyone says anything bad about it ! :angry: deals with me!

Finally a real pro ^^ :lol:

Maybe i can get tips from you on building tanks xD and stands ect ^^

beautiful tank . =]

Thanks Cookie! LOL! Glad you've got my back! :) If I can help in any way, please feel free to PM me or just post here. :)

It's breathtaking - that tank is going to look AMAZING when you get it stocked. TOTM material!

Thanks for the compliment Calvin! TOTM huh? Really!? That would be so sweet!!!

Awsome job dude!!! One small suggestion for the aquascaping, there is something about that one rock on top of the mound that is leaning on the overflow box that just bugs me. Not sure quite how to change it, maybe split it down the middle and lean the two peices together? Dont change anything else though, it compliments the tank very nicely.

Thanks Pili! I just did some work on the rockscape with some additional rock (Tonga so the few pieces don't stand out as much) let me know what you think...

Also some full shots showing the chiller pulled out of the cabinet. :)

DSCN1520.jpg

DSCN1524.jpg

DSCN1526.jpg

DSCN1527.jpg

DSCN1528.jpg

DSCN1529.jpg

DSCN1530.jpg

DSCN1531.jpg

Aw..SOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Travis!

hehe, thats better. So many places to put coral now and with all that flow its going to be a great SPS tank as well.

Thanks Pili! I can't believe all the realestate I have, I can't wait to get started!!! :)

BTW everyone, can you give me some ideas for a center piece fish? I was wanting a Bellus or Watanabei Angel, but not sure due to size... I plan on a couple blennies and/or gobies, a few inverts and then one show fish. I guess I could just get a Wrasse or two, but I've always wanted an angel (that's completely reef safe).

get an interruptus angel, HaHa , J/K.

PM my brother about it, he's been doing a bunch of research about them beceause he wants to get one for his tank.

Personally i think a small school of flasher wrasses would be way cool but they are BIG jumpers.

get an interruptus angel, HaHa , J/K.

PM my brother about it, he's been doing a bunch of research about them beceause he wants to get one for his tank.

Personally i think a small school of flasher wrasses would be way cool but they are BIG jumpers.

LOL!!! Actually if I were to do Wrasses, I was thinking a Leopard Trio...

Watanabei angels are completely reef safe, and stay at a maximum size of 6 inches. I think that you could get away with this fish, but it has strict diet requirements. They are planktivores, and need to be fed very often. A midas blenny is always cool and a nice wrasse of some sort could be neat. I have always been attracted to jawfish, you might want to look into that.

BTW, everything looks amazing!

(P.S. I got about half way through with my stand, but it turned out much worse than I expected. I am going to scrap it, and start over again. :()

Thanks Eric. What happened was that the frame somehow became crooked because I bought some crappy 2x4s. I am really considering buying the doors because I am so behind as it is.

With that tank Calvin, I would go for a pair of Wantanabe Angels as your center piece fish. If you think a pair would be pushing it for size, then go with just one, but I see nothing wrong with a pair. :D

As for "blennies and/or gobies", I would only go with one small blenny if I were you 'cause most blennies can be territorial towards conspecifics and gobies and such. A single Ecsenius sp. blenny would be the least likely to bother others since the territory he would claim should be pretty small. For gobies, I've always loved neon gobies, so a pair of them would fit in there no problem. You could also throw in a few of the small misc. gobies coming into the market now, such as Coryphopterus sp., Eviota sp., and Trimma sp. Most appear to be ones that hover over rocks or in caves or cling to the rocks themselves, so they should remain as active little dots moving between your corals and LR. You should also get a shrimp goby/pistol shrimp pair, or the goby itself at least with the sandbed you've got.

So, that would stock your tank with a single or a pair of Wantanabe angels, a small Ecsensius sp. blenny, a pair of neon gobies, a few misc. gobies....say 3 or 4 since they're really small, and a shrimp goby or goby/shrimp pair. Not a bad tank fish-wise. :) The bioload shouldn't be too high since the gobies are barely there, the blenny as well, and the two/one angel isn't bad either. Now, to cap it off, since I've always liked tanks with plenty of movement and a great selection of fish, you could consider throwing in a flasher wrasse or fairy wrasse for added color. There's so many to choose from, whatever floats your boat but I would shy away from the larger ones like Scott's Fairy wrasses and the other larger ones out there.

As for links to check out these fish by, here ya go!

Genicanthus Angels - Reefkeeping

Ecsensius sp. Blennies - Reefkeeping

Neon Gobies - Reefkeeping

Misc. Small Gobies - Liveaquaria.com

Shrimp Gobies - Reefkeeping

Fairy Wrasses - Reefkeeping

Reef-Safe Wrasses - Liveaquaria.com

There's plenty to read up on! :lol:

-Dan

Thanks Eric. What happened was that the frame somehow became crooked because I bought some crappy 2x4s. I am really considering buying the doors because I am so behind as it is.

I know what you mean! :)

With that tank Calvin, I would go for a pair of Wantanabe Angels as your center piece fish. If you think a pair would be pushing it for size, then go with just one, but I see nothing wrong with a pair. :D

As for "blennies and/or gobies", I would only go with one small blenny if I were you 'cause most blennies can be territorial towards conspecifics and gobies and such. A single Ecsenius sp. blenny would be the least likely to bother others since the territory he would claim should be pretty small. For gobies, I've always loved neon gobies, so a pair of them would fit in there no problem. You could also throw in a few of the small misc. gobies coming into the market now, such as Coryphopterus sp., Eviota sp., and Trimma sp. Most appear to be ones that hover over rocks or in caves or cling to the rocks themselves, so they should remain as active little dots moving between your corals and LR. You should also get a shrimp goby/pistol shrimp pair, or the goby itself at least with the sandbed you've got.

So, that would stock your tank with a single or a pair of Wantanabe angels, a small Ecsensius sp. blenny, a pair of neon gobies, a few misc. gobies....say 3 or 4 since they're really small, and a shrimp goby or goby/shrimp pair. Not a bad tank fish-wise. :) The bioload shouldn't be too high since the gobies are barely there, the blenny as well, and the two/one angel isn't bad either. Now, to cap it off, since I've always liked tanks with plenty of movement and a great selection of fish, you could consider throwing in a flasher wrasse or fairy wrasse for added color. There's so many to choose from, whatever floats your boat but I would shy away from the larger ones like Scott's Fairy wrasses and the other larger ones out there.

As for links to check out these fish by, here ya go!

Genicanthus Angels - Reefkeeping

Ecsensius sp. Blennies - Reefkeeping

Neon Gobies - Reefkeeping

Misc. Small Gobies - Liveaquaria.com

Shrimp Gobies - Reefkeeping

Fairy Wrasses - Reefkeeping

Reef-Safe Wrasses - Liveaquaria.com

There's plenty to read up on! :lol:

-Dan

Holy Crap Dan! Thanks for the reefkeeping links! Looks like I'll be reading a bit... :) I might just try an Angel after all, I figure if it just doesn't work out, I shouldn't have any trouble finding it a new home especially if there isn't a price tag attached. :P

Well I'm going to try to be responsible and leave the angel out... Just not smart or fair to put a 6" active fish in a 24" tank. I'll just have to get some color with a wrasse or two and call it good. With those the gobies and a blenny, that should be plenty.

Sounds like a plan to me! :D

Of course, I would stock the gobies, blenny, wrasse(s) first anyway...so, if after they go in and it still looks bare or you feel you could keep an angel in there, you can always give it a shot. :P

For my new tank, I'm planning some gobies (neons, misc. small ones, a goby/pistol shrmip pair) and for the centerpiece, not just 1 fish, but a small school of cardinals...not sure what species yet. :) So, I won't have any really big fish in there, just a bunch of little ones for a decent sense of scale.

-Dan

WOW. I don't check this thread for a couple days and you go and add all the goodies behind my back!

Looking really really good now. I really like the way that pvc got hidden under the liverock.

Pretty sweet plan Dan, I thought about carinals, but I'm afraid with the flow I have they will get blown all over... :) Man, too many fish, too many choices. :)

WOW. I don't check this thread for a couple days and you go and add all the goodies behind my back!

Looking really really good now. I really like the way that pvc got hidden under the liverock.

Thanks Maeda! Sorry about going behind your back, but I finally found some free time! :)

Hey Dan, I don't want to steal your idea about the cardinal school, but my wife went nuts! She thinks it's an awesome idea! I've never had cardinals, but we've seen them all over... Any opinions on how they would do with my flow? Would you be mad if I did the same?

Looks like the first thing I will be getting in the tank is a pair of peppermints... I can't believe cooking the rock, not only didn't kill the aptasia, but actually allowed them to spread!!! :angry:

Archived