Cultivated Reef

40 Gallon Custom

calvin415

when you plug everything in, would you let us know how much noise your system generates with all the pumps, ballasts, and chiller?

My new system's closed loop (PanWorld100PX-X) makes a loud swishing sound as it shoots water through the OM Super Squirt...I'm wordering if you have experienced anything similar with your new set-up?

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply
when you plug everything in, would you let us know how much noise your system generates with all the pumps, ballasts, and chiller?

My new system's closed loop (PanWorld100PX-X) makes a loud swishing sound as it shoots water through the OM Super Squirt...I'm wordering if you have experienced anything similar with your new set-up?

Will do. Total noise should be the skimmer (noisy) a Q1 5000 (quiet), and Q1 3000 (quiet) and the chiller (who knows???)... The ballast is silent. :)

I just setup a Squirt on a Q1 5000 for my dad, and the only noise we're hearing from that is the air that is still in the piping... Not sure where it's coming from but it's just not going away. Don't think it's cavitation, but who knows. It's not that annoying.

WOW that's a sharp rig man. Awesome.

Thanks Cesar!

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I'm back, exhausted, and really jet-lagged from my Euro Trip...

I started to working on the last of the plumbing, but I still need a few more fittings... Maybe I'll get it done tonight??? Then the chore of trying to get it filled with RO/DI...

wow, i just saw the pics and they are amazing, i remember following this thread earlier.

oh yeah, fix your signature links :P euro trip? man, my parents want us to go to europe for winter vacation and i told them they were crazy because it'll be cold!

i can't wait to see this tank filled and stocked!

wow, i just saw the pics and they are amazing, i remember following this thread earlier.

oh yeah, fix your signature links :P euro trip? man, my parents want us to go to europe for winter vacation and i told them they were crazy because it'll be cold!

i can't wait to see this tank filled and stocked!

Thanks Babycakes, the link is fixed, not sure what happened... ??? The trip was fun and actually it was in the 70's the entire time we were there. :)

O man, that's a sweet tank. Can't wait to see it stocked :)

Thanks Travis!

I got my Ozonizer Plus yesterday so that is the last of the equipment, now I just need to finish the plumbing and fill her up! :)

Alrighty... Time for another update!

Plumbing is finished, Ozonizer is hooked up, UV Sterilizer it out (at least for now) and first 15 gallons are in. So far so good!

Here's some more shots:

DSCN1476.jpg

DSCN1477.jpg

DSCN1478.jpg

Don't worry if you can't tell where the plumbing goes, I can't either and I just finished it. :)

Here my rack for my rock and to keep the closed loop from becoming a suction of doom for any inhabitants. The top of the PVC has been drilled with tons of holes to keep the suction to a minimum.

DSCN1479.jpg

I installed some locks on the canopy doors to keep them closed tightly (keeps any light from escaping and screwing up the view :) ) They are opened my using a magnet to release the lock on the inside which is covered in plastic to keep from rusting.

DSCN1480.jpg

DSCN1481.jpg

Ozonizer Plus

DSCN1482.jpg

4 bulkheads with lots of unions and valves...

DSCN1483.jpg

DSCN1484.jpg

And the first 15 gallons with the CL turned on...

DSCN1485.jpg

Crowded? Really? LOL!!! Yeah I had to do some adjustments last night and had a hard time getting my hand to fit. :)

The tank is now full of RO/DI (48 gallons with sump and overflow box).

My Q1 5000 is really loud for some reason, my Dad has the same pump for his CL and it's so silent... Might be sending this one back for a new one.

Salt will go in once I'm happy with the noise level, and then I'll try to get the sand added as soon as I get my butt to the store to buy some.

I'll try to post some pics tonight but here's an update: I've got the water in, the salt mixed, the sand bed 1-2 inches thick, and most of the sand cloud settled... I need to go through my rock that's been cooking for the last 3 months and see what I want to use. So I might have rock in there as soon as tonight as well.

Need some ideas everyone... I know it's been said, I just didn't expect my tank to get as hot as it does. Yesterday without the chiller running it his 87 degrees and when I turned the chiller on it got it down to 80 before it got heat soaked and started to heat the tank back up... So...

I'm thinking of pulling my chiller out of the stand, there's just not enough circulation for it with the doors on.

Anyone think if I move the chiller out, what I should/could put in it's place? CA Reactor? 2 part CA/Alk with dosing pump? Bigger Kalk Reactor? Refugium? Leave it empty?

Yeah I'm pretty sure chillers are intended to sit out in the open as I believe that contributes to their effectiveness. Not to mention that although it is intended to cool that sucker puts off some unwanted heat within your stand almost certainly transferring its operating heat into the water.

Your the man! THe tank looks awesome!

I left the top open on my tank for heat to rise and also and using 5 clip on fans (2 on the sump and 3 on the water surface) to keep my tank a steady 78-80 degrees...Clip on fans=your friend

Yeah I'm pretty sure chillers are intended to sit out in the open as I believe that contributes to their effectiveness. Not to mention that although it is intended to cool that sucker puts off some unwanted heat within your stand almost certainly transferring its operating heat into the water.

Your the man! THe tank looks awesome!

Thanks Bricktop! Strange I got home today and it only hit 80.5 so I'm not sure what to think... I'm sure summer will be a killer so I might as well move it out now and then I can try to get something else in that space... Thinking a refugium.

I left the top open on my tank for heat to rise and also and using 5 clip on fans (2 on the sump and 3 on the water surface) to keep my tank a steady 78-80 degrees...Clip on fans=your friend

I might do that as well, just so I don't have to run the chiller any more than I have to. Thanks for the input! :)

As promised here's some current shots:

DSCN1487.jpg

Don't mind the piece of PVC sitting there... I plugged the CL drain with it when I filled it with sand so I didn't get sand going through the pump. Haven't taken it out yet...

DSCN1488.jpg

DSCN1489.jpg

DSCN1490.jpg

Cool! I would deffinetly move the chiller outside to avoid a fire hazard anyways. I think I read on RC somewhere that some guy's chiller caught fire because it wasn't getting good ventilation. Just an FYI.

Thanks guys...

I added some rock tonight as well... I'm not sure what to think yet. I've spend the last hour trying different ideas and maybe I just have the wrong rocks... Let me know what you think.

DSCN1511.jpg

DSCN1509.jpg

DSCN1508.jpg

BTW, Sorry the color looks different, I can't get the white balance just right... Sue me. :)

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hi Calvin,

Love your corner tank and love your water flow, just literally the best I've seen in terms of compactness and hidden design, I like the way it blends into the background.

Regarding your rock formation; I really like that first picture with the cave look; man you are going to have so much fun filling it with corals and critters so don't worry to much about how the frame looks.

It will be where you place your items that will draw our attention; just loving your thread....

Mike

Awesome Calvin! :D

I like the arch coming out into the front of the tank, really gives the tank depth and a great place for fish to dart in and around. I think the rock you have now looks just fine, especially since it will be covered by other rocks your corals are on or by the corals themselves. The only thing I can think of is that you should use some aquarium putty/epoxy or twist ties or something along those lines to make sure your arch and other formations don't fall and possibly scratch the inside of the tank walls. Wouldn't want to detract from such an awesome tank with scratches. ;)

I like the cave as well, I can just picture tube anemones (Cerianthid sp. here's a great link on them by Rob Toonen http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2004/invert.htm ) and sun polyps (tubastrea sp.) filling the darkness of it! :)

By the way, Scott's shipping out my new tank today so hopefully I'll get it sometime next week! :D

-Dan

Hi Calvin,

Love your corner tank and love your water flow, just literally the best I've seen in terms of compactness and hidden design, I like the way it blends into the background.

Regarding your rock formation; I really like that first picture with the cave look; man you are going to have so much fun filling it with corals and critters so don't worry to much about how the frame looks.

It will be where you place your items that will draw our attention; just loving your thread....

Mike

Thanks Mike! Appreciate the comments and I just hope I'm able to find the corals and place them just right to do this tank justice...

Looks awesome, love the cave look.

Thanks Casabubu!

i like it!

Thanks!

Awesome Calvin! :D

I like the arch coming out into the front of the tank, really gives the tank depth and a great place for fish to dart in and around. I think the rock you have now looks just fine, especially since it will be covered by other rocks your corals are on or by the corals themselves. The only thing I can think of is that you should use some aquarium putty/epoxy or twist ties or something along those lines to make sure your arch and other formations don't fall and possibly scratch the inside of the tank walls. Wouldn't want to detract from such an awesome tank with scratches. ;)

I like the cave as well, I can just picture tube anemones (Cerianthid sp. here's a great link on them by Rob Toonen http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2004/invert.htm ) and sun polyps (tubastrea sp.) filling the darkness of it! :)

By the way, Scott's shipping out my new tank today so hopefully I'll get it sometime next week! :D

-Dan

Thanks Dan! Can't wait to see your tank either! I thought about some non-photo corals, but I'm afaid of their upkeep... If I need to go out of town, not really anyone I can have feed them on a regular basis. Thanks for the input though, and maybe if you do it, I might be tempted too! :)

Archived