Pod Your Reef

40 Gallon Custom

calvin415

wow neat! that looks crazy. where did you get it? how is it setup? I'm interested in doing this too instead of a calcium reactor.

Ebay, it has a rotating wheel on a timer so it forces additive through the 2 channel tubing into the tank. I can set it as low as .3 mL per hour or 7.2 mL per day! I found a recipe for 2 part Ca Alk so I'll be mixing my own shortly... $0.44 per gallon! Sure beats $30.00/gallon

those jawfish have some big peepers... i wonder how good there vision is.

Very good! I get near the tank and it sees me. :)

Today I got another Pearly Jawfish so now I have a pair, and added 4 more frags... Yellow Mille, Yellow Table Acro, Purple Mille, and a Pink Birdsnest, I can't wait to see them grow out! Still trying to figure out where I want to put them, but they are in the tank for now. ;)

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AWESOME tank! I love the dosing setup too. I've been dosing with kalkwasser as I don't have room for a calcium reactor (or the $). You setup looks like a much more cost-effective way of dosing.

Thanks for all the photos! Keep them coming!

AWESOME tank! I love the dosing setup too. I've been dosing with kalkwasser as I don't have room for a calcium reactor (or the $). You setup looks like a much more cost-effective way of dosing.

Thanks for all the photos! Keep them coming!

Thanks Paul, I think this will actually work out better at least for me, once I find the calcium consuption rate, I can easily dial it in. :) I'll try to get some more pics, once I find time to mount the frags I got. Right now I've just got them stuffed in some holes...

:)

Okay here's an update! I know I still don't have any glue, but I don't know when I'll get out to get some...

Yellow Table Acro frag

DSCN1671.jpg

Yellow Mille frag

DSCN1672.jpg

Pink Birds Nst frag

DSCN1674.jpg

Purple Mille frag

DSCN1682.jpg

Full tank shot

DSCN1687.jpg

DSCN1689.jpg

Most corals

DSCN1694.jpg

My jaw fish finally opened up a bit, they both live in this hole...

DSCN1700.jpg

DSCN1701.jpg

awesome pictures! that jawfish is really cool =)

My tank is similar to yours, I have things wedged into holes in rocks, proped up between two shells, etc =P Gets messy especially after the trochus snails and emerald have a frenzy. One morning I found all my corals fallen to the substrate except one mushroom! It was crazy. Damn critters ;)

I started using epoxy, but it doesn't really work if wet (it won't adhere to two objects) and hardens on its own. You have to dry the two surfaces, and wait 7 minutes... which sucks. I'm goign to try super glue gel next.

Awsome jaw fish! They are really interesting to watch. One of my LFS has one that made a burrow inbetween 2 clams and darts in and out all the time.

I dont glue to any of the big rocks either just in case i need to move them in an emergency or something.

Super glue works pretty well overall but it take a few tries sometimes and you go through those little tubes so quick!

awesome pictures! that jawfish is really cool =)

My tank is similar to yours, I have things wedged into holes in rocks, proped up between two shells, etc =P Gets messy especially after the trochus snails and emerald have a frenzy. One morning I found all my corals fallen to the substrate except one mushroom! It was crazy. Damn critters ;)

I started using epoxy, but it doesn't really work if wet (it won't adhere to two objects) and hardens on its own. You have to dry the two surfaces, and wait 7 minutes... which sucks. I'm goign to try super glue gel next.

Thanks! I've never tried the epoxy, I figure the super glue gel works great, why try something else... As for your snail frenzy, I know what you mean... I only added one Mexican Turbo to my tank because they can be such bulldozers. So far so good, he hasn't dislodged any frags yet! :)

Awsome jaw fish! They are really interesting to watch. One of my LFS has one that made a burrow inbetween 2 clams and darts in and out all the time.

I dont glue to any of the big rocks either just in case i need to move them in an emergency or something.

Super glue works pretty well overall but it take a few tries sometimes and you go through those little tubes so quick!

Normally I wouldn't glue my frags directly to the rocks, but in this case, I have no intentions of moving any of my rock work and this looks so much more natural. Plus, this will also help me to not touch it. :) Super glue gel has always worked great for me, I usually average 1/2 to 1 tube per frag though; but within a week the glue is usually already getting incrusted so I look at it as miracle grow for my corals. :)

UPDATE:

I'm planning on a small SPS order (5 frags) in the next week, so we'll see how they look when I get them! As for an update with the dosing pump, this is the best thing I've ever done! Very easy to set up and w/in a week my tank is maintaining Ca levels at 400 and Alk at 10.4 DKH without having to dose kalkwasser or worry about my evap rate or my Ph, I love it!

I guess it's time for an update again...

I've added 3 new frags,

a small green A. yongei (yes Zach I went ahead and added it. :) )

a tiny purple A. sp (still trying to ID)

and a small forest green w/ turquoise tips A. sp (also trying to ID)

I'm placing an order with ReeferMadness either today or tomorrow (their website has conflicting dates of when they open) and then I should be done stocking (corals) and just one last fish to go (maybe)... I'll get some more pics either tonight, or after the reefermadness order get's here.

Hey calvin,

I have been following your thread with great interest. Thanks for all the photos and updates, they have been making my day. Thanks

Anyway, can you quote the estimate price of the dosing pump you bought? I am really interested to get one.

Thanks

Hey calvin,

I have been following your thread with great interest. Thanks for all the photos and updates, they have been making my day. Thanks

Anyway, can you quote the estimate price of the dosing pump you bought? I am really interested to get one.

Thanks

Thanks Ancelot! Sometimes I post and wonder if anyone even read it. Glad to hear you did. :) As for the dosing pump I got it on ebay from tanksalot, he had a buy now price of 99.00 with 10.00 for shipping. He doesn't have any posted right now, but I'm sure he's still got some. Try sending him a message it's called the Ensign II just make sure you get 2 channel tubing if you want to use it for B-Ionic (or something comp).

Actually just the B-Ionic is doing it. I pulled the Kalk reactor since the evap rate was varying day to day; I figured this is the only way to ensure I get the same Ca and Alk additions every day. Plus I just found out something else, Kalk doesn't touch Mg levels. I just had to help my Dad bring his Mg levels up from 900 to 1350 since he's been using Kalk primarily.

yeah, i just bough a Mg test but i think its bad. I'm getting a reading of 60ppm which cant be right ( i though i had low Mg but not that low). I have to call up salifert to see if they will send me a new one or at least see if this is correct.

Hey loving the tank....absolutely incredible! Can we get a full setup shot? Also, where do you have your dosing pump? Are you going to try to conceal all of the equipment?

There are tons of pages showing full tank shots and where all the equipment is so I'm a little confused what you are asking... If you are asking for recent shots, I'll be taking those most likely this weekend once my frag order is here. Thanks for the comments! :)

maybe he wants a super far away shot showing where the tank is as well?

that would be kinda neat =)

I've emailed the tanksalot guy, still waiting on what he has to say =) thanks for the recommendation again!

No prob bro, he's kind of hard to get hold of, give it a couple days, if he doesn't get back to you I've got an email address you can send it to as well. :)

maybe he wants a super far away shot showing where the tank is as well?

How far away? You want a pic of the room? How about a pic of the house? Is that far enough away?

J.K. I'll try to get some more pic tonight, and again this weekend after my reefermadness order get's in. :P

Okay, took some more pics...

Full room/tank shot...

DSCN1717.jpg

DSCN1718.jpg

Corner Shot

DSCN1719.jpg

Right Side

DSCN1723.jpg

Closer on the Yongei

DSCN1722.jpg

Close up on the Yongei

DSCN1721.jpg

I can't get this any more in focus for some reason, but it's purple with green polyps... If anyone has an idea of what it is, I'm all ears...

DSCN1725.jpg

And my last Green/Turqoise A. sp

DSCN1734.jpg

Archived