Pod Your Reef

40 Gallon Custom

calvin415

Thanks Freak and Mark, It should ship on Monday if all goes to schedule and it's only 1 state away so hopefully it will only take 2-3 days to get it. I'm very stoked!

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I just got done building a kalk reactor... It took less than an hour including testing, installing, and keeping my son under control. :)

Here it is step by step...

Installing the 3/4x1/2 Threaded Bushing

DSCN1335.jpg

Installing the JG fitting 1/4 OD x 1/2 MIP

DSCN1336.jpg

Another angle

DSCN1338.jpg

Tightened down with teflon tape

DSCN1341.jpg

All the pieces layed out ready for assembly...

DSCN1342.jpg

3/4" PVC which runs top to bottom through the middle and drilled at the bottom for water to enter the reactor and mix the kalk powder at the same time.

DSCN1344.jpg

Assembled

DSCN1345.jpg

With Kalk Powder

DSCN1346.jpg

Closer

DSCN1347.jpg

And here's me and my buddy!

DSCN1348.jpg

Cost break down...

Water Filter Canister ebay for 8.99 + Shipping

3/4x1/2 Threaded Bushing 1.04 (for 2)

JG Fittings 5.40 (for 2)

Teflon tape (everyone already has)

3/4" PVC already had, but I'll guess it's 2.50???

1/4" tubing 1.82

So that's less than 20 bucks plus the shipping for the canister! Just add a water source and run it to the tank either on a drip or float valve. :)

The water comes in and goes down the pipe, through the kalk powder then up into the reactor and sits until the float switch pumps the water in. When it's not pumping the remaining kalk powder settles and waits to mix again with fresh ro/di water.

Slight change of plans... Ordered my pumps and due to the pricing I was able to find, I went with a QuietOne 3000 for my return and a QuietOne 5000 for my closed loop. I've heard they are nearly silent, and I've heard horror stories. I hope they are silent. Just as an FYI, I haven't seen these this cheap anywhere else... http://www.petsolutions.com/Quiet+One+Pump...-I-C-49-C-.aspx

Originally posted by calvin415

Scratch that, I still overspent...

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/catego...ategory_id=3867

Don't we all...

After seeing this the other day I started collecting quotes for how much my 'super 5' will cost. I'm just going to state here and now there is no budget a reef tank cannot bulldoze through.

I think i'm getting a quiet one as well.

I will. I setup my current tank as a reef tank 'trial period.'

Now the no-visible-equiptment bug has bit me again so the next tank will have a similar solution like your FBH tank.

I have provisions for a sump too but I really wanted to keep my nano as a desktop tank unlike my other tank.

Now I got a question... Is there a benefit to having the closed loop on top of the tank? I wanted to try and hide a closed loop under my sand with just the nozzles poking out(I know it'll be fighting gravity but aside from that). I noticed most people have the outputs much higher up...

I had it in the top of the tank because I just don't think seeing something sticking out of the sand looks any better. My original plan was to have an enormous overflow to hide all the plumbing and have it flow from within the walls. Change my mind when I realized just how much realestate it took up in an already small tank, not to mention the cost to get it fabricated. I guess it's just preference, but I don't tend to look at the water surface when I admire my tanks. On the other hand I do look at the sand and bottom of the tank for my gobies or blennies; hence I decided a top flow closed loop worked better for me. Just something to consider on the self contained tanks is heat, even my 23 gallon with 4 powerheads in the overflow, I don't need to run a heater and my two fans are still struggling to keep the tank at a steady temperature. I have to keep the front of the canopy open to allow better air flow and the tank still varies about 3 sometimes 4 degrees...

Looking good Eric. I think I might go for that Kalc reactor idea as well. For that price, you can't afford not to at least try it out. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Tank is looking great.

-Mark

Sounds like you got everything going pretty smoothly...Cant wait to see this thing set up...

Im just waiting for my uncle to build my stand now and my 60 cube should be up and running.

Just an update, my light came in yesterday, the return pump comes in today, the tank and closed loop pump will be tomorrow! :) Stand construction should begin this weekend.

I checked the tracking number on FedEx and it's still showing it in transit... ??? It better come tonight, it's showing in-state so I'll pic it up if I have to. Left Denver (about an hour North of me) at 1am this morning but no other updates...

Archived