SaltCritters.com

Pili's 40g Breeder

Pili4444

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pictures :)

FTS - Notice that i am trying to get some stupid brown/red slime under control. I have some excess phosphates

Jan30_FTS.jpg

SPS

Jan30_SPS1.jpg

Jan30_SPS2.jpg

Turaki Growth

Jan30_Turaki.jpg

Sebea's Ric from Reefin300

Jan30_RICS.jpg

Kalk reactor - Imput from RO bucket is on th bottom by the pump and the output is on top...

Jan30_Kalk_Reactor.jpg

Also, i done it, i ordered the H and S A110-F2000 skimmer and it will be here next monday. I am so excited!!!

If anyone wants dibs on my Remora, pm me and we will talk :)

Maybe I missed it, but after you had the ATO problem, did you stop using it or did you fix whatever the problem was and are using it again?

Here was happened in a timeline beginning to last, kinda hard to explain other wise. From beginning to now...

-Bought an in sump float switch setup from californiareefs.com. Its a good float switch for the price but i didnt purchase the snail guard which would be the problem.

-Float switch was fine for months until sometime in the summer when there was a snail that was in my sump that made the float switch stick. Dumped alot of FW into the tank and overflowed the sump.

-A few weeks later, because of all the water that was in the stand from the float switch stuck, i think that the board on the bottom of the stand warped and which cause the sump to crack all the way down one side. I had to take out the sump and I kinda rigged up the float switch to a mag algea cleaner so that it would work in the tank. Had that for a while but i knew that it wasnt the safest thing so i decided to bite the bullet and upgrade.

-Switched the ATO to a tunze osmolator and it has worked perfectly ever since. It is almost fault proof b/c it is a double switch set up, one being a safety just incase the first one fails. It is also very accurate and is now running in the display (dont have a sump anymore).

Any regrets about the switch from MH to T5? It looks like everything is doing well, including the clam. I'm trying to figure out my own lighting setup.

Well, i really like the shimmer of the MH, that is a big plus, but i dont miss the heat. I have had no trouble with heat at all since switching.

Honostly though, i dont think there is a huge difference as long as you can get past the heat. I dont think that good T-5s should be so expensive so from that aspect, i dont think they are worth it but basically what switching taught me was that there is so much more to color and growth than just lighting.

As long as you parameters are good (not just the basics but Mg, Ca, Alk, etc.) than you will have success with either. It just more of whether you are can get past the heat of the MH or the price of the t-5s.

On another note, i pulled about a pound of feather and grape caulerpa out of the tank and added some phosguard/matrix carbon which has made a difference in the amount of algea. I am battling a pretty bad phosphate problem that i'm not totally sure where its from yet but i'm getting there.

Oh, and my H and S should be here tommorow :) but i prolly wont have it setup until next weekend (need to stop by home depot)

Tank looks awesome pili!

I had problems with that slime, mostly brown, the only thing that finally got rid of it was just spending an hour in the tank with a turkey baster and adding some extra HOB filters to pull out what got stirred up. it cured my problem.

H and S !!!!

The setup is a little unconventional but it works well and there are very little microbubbles in the main tank.

feed pump is in the main tank (mini-jet 606) and the return line goes into a AC70 shell (with some carbon/phosban) and then back into the main tank.

HandS-SU.jpg

HandS-SU2.jpg

HandS-SU3.jpg

HandS-SU4.jpg

Well, i really like the shimmer of the MH, that is a big plus, but i dont miss the heat. I have had no trouble with heat at all since switching.

Honostly though, i dont think there is a huge difference as long as you can get past the heat. I dont think that good T-5s should be so expensive so from that aspect, i dont think they are worth it but basically what switching taught me was that there is so much more to color and growth than just lighting.

As long as you parameters are good (not just the basics but Mg, Ca, Alk, etc.) than you will have success with either. It just more of whether you are can get past the heat of the MH or the price of the t-5s.

I dont think anyone could have said it any better :)

Archived