Pod Your Reef

Larnie's Nano-Cube DX 92w

larnie

Thanks again Davinaster! Having fellow hobbyists across the country helping you out is one of the great things about Nano-Reef.com. If I can return the favor in the future, I definately will.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reggie,

You may want a package of these powerstrip liberators to save space on your ReefKeeper. I think that there are one or two large plug adapters that would otherwise waste space on your ReefKeeper powerstrip.

Have you decided where you are going to put your Nano-Cube?

OMG Larnie,

I never knew these existed. I probably have at least 6 power strips in my home for all my Electrtronic devices because those huge transformers take up more then one slot.

Definitely a very useful tip.

I'm ordering serveral units.

Thanks again.

Reggie.

Larnie,

I will probably have the cube in my living room on top of a small table(still looking for one) with storage in the bottom to put the power strip and aquarium stuff.

Is the table you have in your office made for aquariums?

larnie --

I wanted to ask you about your blue zoas. Were they always blue? Where in the tank do you keep them (what lighting)? I got some blues a couple of weeks ago, only they're green. Since you're successfully keeping yours blue under PCs, I was wondering if you had any advice.

Thanks,

davinaster

Is the table you have in your office made for aquariums?

No, its an oak stand that is capable of holding the weight of several Nano-Cubes. The JBJ stands make a very attractive display and they have an enclosed storage area.

I wanted to ask you about your blue zoas. Were they always blue? Where in the tank do you keep them (what lighting)? I got some blues a couple of weeks ago, only they're green. Since you're successfully keeping yours blue under PCs, I was wondering if you had any advice.

Blue zoanthids are interesting. Mine appear more blue since my tank has actinic bulbs. Under less actinic lighting they appear more purple or brownish blue. From what I've heard from others, blue zoos are somewhat illusive.

When I first saw the "larnie" series on nanocustoms, I was thinking, "what's a larnie?" But now I see where it got its name.... you must be a nanocube celebrity. ;)

Thanks Larnie,

I'll probably go ahead and get the JBJ nano cube stand, I was just a little leary about the stableness of the stand. I have a little one coming soon and I didn't want that thing toppling over.

I purchased the Mini jet 606, Jager 50w, and a few odds and ends at marinedepot.com

Where did you purchase your Tunze 5024.04? My LFS doesn't carry it.

Thanks.

Reggie.

Reggie,

I picked up my Tunze pump at Premium Aquatics. It looks like they are out of stock right now. I had to backorder mine and they shipped it out when they arrived at their warehouse a couple of weeks later.

Got my Larnie mod all setup.

Can't say enough good stuff about Chris at nanocustoms.com, he helped me a ton getting it ready.

Now I wait for it to balance out a bit and I can thin my wallet out on more coral.

I'll probably go ahead and get the JBJ nano cube stand, I was just a little leary about the stableness of the stand. I have a little one coming soon and I didn't want that thing toppling over.

I've only seen the JBJ stands in a retail environment. When placed on a relatively flat surface (ie industrial carpet) they are pretty stable. Given a less firm surface, or a house with "active" children, the JBJ stands may be less desirable.

I haven't heard any feedback on this forum regarding the stands. Nanocustoms carries them, you might ask Chris for his input.

excellent. thanks for the quick reply. and I guess it does look like the MM, now that u mention it.

btw. stellar pink yumas you got there.

Thanks Larnie,

I went ahead and purchased the JBJ stand on ebay for $59.99 + $14.99 S&H. Lowest price i could find. We'll see how stable it is.

I also purchasaed a couple hydor bioflo rotating water deflectors for my powerhead in chamber 1 and possibly replace the stock nozzle in chamber 3.

Hydor BioFlo

Have you seen these before or know if they create better currents in the tank?

Thanks.

Reggie.

Reggie

The Hydor BioFlo is a good product. I've used one before and it provided a nice changing flow pattern in the tank. As with any device that interferes with the free movement of water from the pump, it will reduce flow. The Y-connector on my output reduces flow as well.

Cheato needs light if it is going to live in the fuge area of the Nano-Cube. The heat shield on my NC allows some of the light from the back bulb(s) to leak into the fuge area. This has proven to be sufficient to sustain a growing clump of cheato in the mddle compartment.

Hi Larnie,

I got my nano cube from nanocustoms last Friday :), thanks to Chris' speedy setup.

I have added the cured LR and LS and added bio-spira to speed up the cycle, but I have not been able to find chaeto for my fuge.

where can i get this and is chaeto the brand of the macro algae?

None of my LFS seemed to know what it was.

Thanks.

Reggie.

Hi folks.

First time poster here. I have a cube on order with Chris at nanocustomes:

1 x 2005 Nanocustoms Modded JBJ 12DX 3.24

- third bulb: 10000K Daylight

- second bulb: 50/50

- Moonlight Option: R2 Solution 5 LED Moonlight

- Third T-5: none

- Second T-5: Actinic Blue

- Additional T-5: Actinic Blue

- hinges: none

- Ballast Control: Dual Powercord

- Installation Options: none

- Overflow Mod: none

- Rear Sump Lighting: none

- Rear Sump ballast: none

- Bulb Type: Realux 24w Actinic Blue

Copying you and others Larnie. Thanks for all your time/effort posting here. You have helped this newb alot.

One question i have, a guy at one of my LFS has LR that is $15/lb, calling it 'Carribean rock'. The guy has a very impressive store as i have been all around my area looking who has what, but has anyone ever heard of this type of LR? Is it worth the price? He says he is the only one he knows of on the west coast that has it???

Also last question, what about using sea water to start your cycle. A few of my lfs have it for like a dollar a gallon and are recommending it to reduce cycle time and for water changes later. Thanks much.

CyberGuru you may want to hit Tigahboy with a PM. He has Chaeto and I think last I heard he was selling it. You can ask if he has that Chaeto still for sale. He gave me some and it really works miracles, hahaha.

Archived