Cultivated Reef

Larnie's Nano-Cube DX 92w

larnie

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After having run the second pump through a 24 hour period, the only negative effect is a slight rise in temperature. This is to be expected with another powered device in the tank. The temperature is still below 79 even during peak lighting use.

I was at my LFS today to pick up some DI water and spotted a nice Coco Worm. It had a compact tube and vibrant coral/pink color. Needless to say, I brought it home...

10630CocoWorm1.jpg

Here's a little closer look.

10630CocoWorm2.jpg

Very cool Larnie, I was also thinking of getting one. Are they the same as Feather Dusters? Meaning do they have the same requirements?

I got it at one of my LFS's, Neptune's Realm. I picked it up along with the orange/salmon colored ricordea. Its mounted on a nice piece of tonga rubble.

I neglected to add this picture of my torch coral. Its kind of a translucent green/purple with bright green tips.

10630TorchCoral.jpg

It was a nice find at my lfs. They had ordered a large torch and when it arrived a single stalk of the skeleton had broken off during shipping. It worked out well for me, it was cheap and I had a perfect spot to place its skeleton in a cave/tunnel in the side of my live rock.

larnie

I upgraded my pump to the MJ606 and tried putting the stock one in the main viewing area and did not like the way it looked, like you said to cluttered, so I just took it out and decided to stick with the MJ606 for flow. I never even thought about sticking the stock in the 1st chamber that was a great idea. I had one question about your stock pump you used for opposing water flow do you leave it turned all the way up? I turned it all the way up and it seemed to be to much flow. I have a pulsing xenia under the stock return and it was getting blown all around.

Also I'm glad you like my DIY cold cathode moonlight. I'm getting ready to order the 3.24 upgrade from nanocustoms and I'm hoping I can still squeeze the cold cathode in the hood it looks like its a little cramped in there.

By the way I love your tank, it's the reason I'm getting the upgraded lights there just seems to be so much more you can do with the nano cube with more lighting. Where do you get most of you coral? I would like to buy pieces from my LFSs but all the corals they have seem to be brown and to big. I want to find some nice colored zoos.

Thanks

Sinistard,

After testing for appropriate water flow throught the sump, I adjusted my stock pump to the lowest setting. I've heard from Mike G. that his stock pump had a tendency to put out alot of air bubbles in this configuration. Does yours have this problem?

I think if you go with the 3.24 with two T5's (like mine), it will fit. As long as the cold cathode is no larger than the T5 it should work. I'll pm you later tonight regarding coral sources.

Thanks for your kind words.

Larnie

My stock pump put out a lot of bubbles if I had it turned all the way up and positioned with the writing up like in your picture. If I put it on its side or just turned it down there were no bubbles. I ended up turning it all the way down positioned like in your picture that seems to be the best way to do it.

Sinistard

flopmeister69

yes how did you manage to get good cross-current with your stock pump in chamber 1 while setting it to low circulation and avoiding bubbles? I have mine hanging in the chamber but there is an exact place I have to position it or it is too low or I get bubbles. Any suggestions, anyone?

Evidently not all stock pumps respond the same in this configuration. Try some of Sinistard's suggestions in his reply above. If you still encounter the problem you may need to try a different pump. Mikeguerrero is using a Rio 90 successfully in this manner.

Adjust the flow to meet your specific needs (coral requirements). The opposing flow from both sides should help eliminate dead spots and create more chaotic flow.

Here's a pic of a Pink Ricordia Yuma that arrived in my tank today.

10630PinkYuma.jpg

I know what you're saying to yourself, "I think I've seen that pink yuma somewhere before..."

10630Tigah_sYumas.jpg

You have... in Tigah's tank. Yesterday it was in Tigahboy's tank, today its in mine. Thanks Tigah! As you can tell it made the trip to Colorado just fine. Its only been in my tank a couple of hours and its starting to get pretty well acclimated.

I have a couple of other new items that I will post images of later.

no problemo. it's giving me good practice in shipping live corals as well...I was extremely nervous shipping that yuma since I've been shipping only zoo's and other easily replaceable corals up until now. haha.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Larnie,

Awesome pink ric, I love ricordias. In fact I entered a Junuary contest at nanotank.com for a prize using my orange ric, wish me luck the prize is a seachem calcium test kit and 2nd prize is a phosphate tester.

Regarding the pump in chamber 1. The rio 90 hands down fits like a glove, in fact it's smaller than the stock pump and I didn't have to adjust the setting.

It's pump is set on high and it doesn't over blow anything other than crash against the front glass, mix with the opposing water and bam, awesome current displaced evenly.

Rio 90 only cost 10 bucks. I would've used the stock like Larnies since I like to copy others but it started shooting out air like others have experienced.

I didn't think of lowering the valve but had I, it probably would've worked and we'd see it there.

The rio 90 doesn't have to be placed on its side since it's uptake comes strictly from the bottom. Whereas the stock pump has some tendancy to pull from the buttom and the sides, thus causing air to enter the tank.

I will be posting pics real soon, since I'm in the process of converting my tank into a SPS tank and no longer a LPS hoster.

Mike

The last item in my order from Tigah was a frag of pink zoos. After this I think my tank is all "pinked out"... pink yuma, pink coco worm, pink zoos...

10630PinkZoos.jpg

LOL

For those of you who have been contacting me via pm and email regarding my Nanocustoms.com hood configuration... Nanocustoms.com has added the "Larnie Signature Edition".

hahaha

Look for it under their Complete Systems section. This is the configuration I ordered from Chris at Nanocustoms. If you have any additional questions, just send me a pm or email...

Archived