Top Shelf Aquatics

Larnie's Nano-Cube DX 92w

larnie

great livestock larnie! can't wait to see the new tank shots.

timb000- you need higher lighting for your clams when they are larger. smaller clams survive off of filter feeding rather than photosythesis as the larger clams do.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My daughters had a dance competition in Castlerock today, so I have been out of town... I'll see if I can get a good picture taken after church tomorrow.

timb000 you're right.

The proven long term solution to tridacna clam health is mh lighting. However, smaller tridacna clams (those under 4") still depend on phytoplankton for much of their sustenance. It is only after the clam attains sufficient mantle size that it can survive off of its supporting zooanthellae.

Smaller clams, like my two inch crocea, substantially depend upon algal foods. I am providing live phytoplankton for the crocea as well as the coco worm. I target feed a small amount of Reed Mariculture's Phyto-Feast to the area of the tank surrounding them. I'll monitor how things progress with the clam in the months ahead.

A good article by Ronald Shimek on this topic is available online.

Click Here To Read

Normally T. crocea and T. maxima grow only 0.8 to 1.6 inches (2 to 4 cm) a year. This would mean that a 2 inch crocea would reach 4 inches in a year and a half to two years. During this time, reliance on nutients produced by the zooanthellae would increase.

Under accepted husbandry practices, including mh lighting, this would be the expectation for growth. Given pc lighting (intense though it may be) and feeding phytoplankton, I am sure the growth rate will vary from this. I will closely monitor the clam's condition, especially as its size increases over time.

I would suggest that anyone seriously evaluate the implications for care and specimen health before they make a decision to add a tridacna clam to their system.

When I first recieved my crocea, I set it on a small piece of rock which I placed in the substrate of my tank. The plan was to get the clam to attach to this small piece of rock. This would allow me to place the clam within my rock structure without attaching to a larger piece of rock that would be hard to move at a later time.

The good news is that the crocea indeed has attached to the small piece of rock. The bad news is that I didn't realize that it had also partially attached to the bottom of the tank... When I picked up the rock I inadvertantly injured the clam when the byssal threads attached to the tank floor resisted the move and partially tore the byssal gland (foot). I should have been more careful given the shallow depth of my susbtrate.

I went ahead and placed the clam high up within the rock structure of my nano. Mantle extension is good on one half of the clam, but is somewhat receded on the side closest to the byssal gland (foot). It appears to be a little better this morning but we'll see what happens over the next few days.

On a more positive note, here's a picture of my ricordea yuma collection. My new pink yuma, from Tigahboy, is so bright it makes my orange colored yuma look dull.

10630YumaGarden.jpg

As you can see, the pink yuma is a good size. Tigah's big pink yuma in his tank kind of made this one look small.

Hmmm... Why so much resistance to a full tank shot? Anyone else wondering? ;) My theory is that this thread is a hoax, and that "larnie" (if that is your real name?) has just photoshopped pictures of tigah's corals into some random coral photos. In fact, maybe larnie really is tigah? Do we really believe that this guy found some of those corals at his LFS in Colorado? C'mon! How gullible are we?

Hey, larnie! Post a full tank shot or fess up! :D

lol why the rumors? :)

larnie dont have any reason to do any of that stuff anyways. nice job on stocking larnie! all you need now is some color up on the rocks :P

all you need now is some color up on the rocks

Your right, I'm working my way up. I've got some zoos on hold (including some eagle eyes). What other suggestions do you have?

looks like u already got some flourescent green candy canes, i find that the things that adds the most color to the tank are things like mushrooms (bright blue/red/green), brain corals, ricordeas, monti caps (place em up high), tubastrea for a splash of orange (but u already have one), and of course, a variety of zoos :)

just takes a bit of cherry picking before u can get what u want... and another word of advice, don't waste your money on anything you don't "really" want... buy only the corals that you can't afford to miss out on. those "impulse" buys will just end up as trades or thrown in the back corner once u get something nicer. i've experienced this all too many times, and now i'm running out of space :)

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Larnie,

It's awesome how your tank is comming together. I dig that you are so selective in what you add to your tank, your pieces are second to none.

I went too big when I first started LPS, that was my mistake. Now that I'm redoing, I'm doing it right.

Question? How long have you had your clam? How big is it? Is it a crocea or maxima?

Mike

larnie --

Your tank is looking great, and I love all of the colors. Anyone who didn't realize I was making a joke about larnie not being a real person is far too dim witted to maintain a nano-reef :D (and anyone who doesn't realize that was a joke [sort of], ditto). Seeing your tank has convinced me to resist all of the nano packs out there in an effort to "fill out" my tank and stick with my original plan of only buying things that I love.

Which means my tank should be complete in roughly 2024 (when my youngest graduates from college) lol

Still, timb000 saw 2 pink yumas in tigah's tank... What's up with that? (still j/k, guys)

Thanks for the input uchiha, I'd like for my NC to look as good as your VA someday (well, maybe almost as good...)

is it possible to move the coco worm up higher?

I couldn't find a location that the coco worm's tube fit into nicely without being a distraction. Anyway, I kind of like the "Dune" effect of the worm coming up out of the sand...

Question? How long have you had your clam? How big is it? Is it a crocea or maxima?

My 2 inch crocea clam is a recent addition to my tank. I got it just a week ago. There is a picture of it, just after arrival, on the bottom of page four of this thread.

Thanks davinaster. I thought about waiting a couple of more days to post a full tank image, but I relented...

Depending on where you live, nice pieces of coral are not easy to come by. Tigah has been a tremendous help in acquiring some very nice items for me. timb000 did see a picture of my pink yuma in Tigah's tank, it was just taken before he sent it out to me.

Originally posted by timb000

^^hmmm... I did see 2 pink yumas in tigahboys tank tonite. My mind must be playing tricks on me.:D :D

haha. I assure you I only had 1 pink yuma when u dropped by last night. =)

Here is another image of my tank including the exterior. The Nano-Cube design is clean and compact.

10630AngledCube.jpg

This shot was taken in the middle of the day. As you can see, its pretty bright in there.

Archived