Top Shelf Aquatics

Larnie's Nano-Cube DX 92w

larnie

Thanks Larnie,

That’s exactly what I needed to know. I’ll probably go ahead and get the rear sump light and overflow mod.

With the overflow mod, I will patch up the intake on chamber 1 and drill an exhaust hole much like the chamber 3 for the Tunze 5024.04.

Do you foresee any flow problems with this setup?

Thanks again.

P.S. I’m not sure if I should be asking these questions on your thread, if not please let me know.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reggie,

It will be interesting to see how you accomplish this mod. Make sure that you post pictures to show your work. It should function well, providing additional water movement across the overflow as well as opposing flow in the tank.

Your questions have all been Nano-Cube related and are welcome on this thread.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Larnie,

Quick question, given the light period of your hood. What do you recommend the light period be on a Larnie Edition, if I work during the day and want to catch a good period of my tank after work?

I work the 9-6pm M-F....

Thanks

Mike

Thanks Larnie,

I'll make sure to post my work.

My concern with the overflow setup is that i would have two powerheads bringing water out into the main area and only the slits on top of chamber 1 for the overflow to bring water into chamber 1; which may result in water overflowing also into chamber 2 and 3 from the main area because the overflow mod will not be able to bring in water at the same rate as the 2 powerheads..

this is from nanocustoms.com before patching up the intake.

Overflow Mod

Thanks again Larnie for all your help.

Reggie.

P.S. Mike, I haven't had a chance to formally thank you for your thread on your signiture series, but I found yours and Larnie's systems very helpful in figuring how i should approach the setup on my nano cube. Thank you.

Quick question, given the light period of your hood. What do you recommend the light period be on a Larnie Edition, if I work during the day and want to catch a good period of my tank after work?

I work the 9-6pm M-F....  

Mike,

Given the location of your cube, I'm sure there are restrictions on how late your lights can stay on... My photoperiod is progressive over a 14 hour time frame. Actinic bulbs provide the only light during four of those hours. Given your work schedule, my lighting program would provide a small illuminated period in the morning before you leave, as well as a few hours of light when you arrive home in the evening. If you arrive home before 7:00pm, you would even have a viewing time with full illumination.

Here’s my current lighting schedule:

8am - 10pm 20w Hellios T-5 Actinic 03 (14 hrs)

10am - 8pm 24w Jalli Actinic + 24w 5050 (10 hrs)

11am - 7pm 24w 10K (8 hrs)

12am - 12am 5 LED R2 Solution Moonlight (24/7)

All of my corals have responded well to this schedule. You could also easily adjust the hours to start and end later in the day if you prefer.

$30? for that pink yuma? Man that's a steal. Where is this LFS of yours? Your in cali, shoot im might drive out there.

Sorry Cesar, Davinaster lives in Kirkland, WA. She came up with a couple of very nice yumas of her own at the same lfs. Occasionally something special turns up in unexpected places...

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Larnie,

Thanks for giving me the hours of setup. I'm going to go with your times because it will give me a window with my tank rather than just waiting untill the weekend to enjoy.

And yes you are right, the wife won't let me have Larnie in my bedroom past a certain hour :( So that means I'll take the hours I can get.

MikeGuerrero signature series hours are okay because they are in the living room. But I had to adjust Larnie edition in my bedroom so what better way to have the Original Larnie fix my hours on the Larnie edition. :)

Didn't ever think I'd purchase your tank, but after missing my LPS corals I had to jump on the band wagon.

I almost went for Rbaby's tank but when I saw the output in light, man I was like, my wife is going to kill me with all those lights shinning all over the place :)

So it came down to Larnie and I've never been happier, well okay so I'm still a MikeGuerrero signature series fan, but the larnie tank is awesome !!!!

Mike

And yes you are right, the wife won't let me have Larnie in my bedroom past a certain hour  So that means I'll take the hours I can get.

LOL

Just To Set The Record Straight...

I have never been, nor do I ever have any plans to be in or anywhere near Mike Guerrero's bedroom!

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Larnie,

LOL you certainly have a good sense of humor,,, :)

Mike

p.s You can get Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, maybe even Sony products for the bedroom. But who would ever thought that Larnie Edition would become a family household name? I'm happy with my larnie, and guess what he's very quiet and he doesn't over heat, temps stay at 80 degrees even on a hot day !!! :)

Cyberguru,

I placed my second powerhead low in compartment 1, you may notice there is already a small hole low in that space. I drill it out to squeeze the powerhead outlet through. Works great and flows no problem through the trickle mod. I used a piece of black plexi with the grate etched out from the top, covered the stock intake entirely with it from the outside, and etched out the top of the stock tank.

It looks better than looking at the grill of the stock intake...I think.

I'm doing a 'custom' Larnie, due to arrive on the 17th. I have the 2004 dx hood and am saving some dough doing it myself.

Hate to mention another site on my first post but, Chris at nanocustoms.com is excellent. He talked me through a couple of calls and emails. He even called me to tell me when my package was out his door. Excellent operation he has down there in Cali.

Now if that Fedex truck can make it to my house through all the snow is yet to be seen.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Nice idea on the return pump going in through the small hole, I know you said you are going to modify the hole.

Can you take some pics?

Mike

Thanks putz28,

I've been talking with Chris for the last few days, and I just ordered my nano cube from him about an hour ago. I ordered the Larnie system with a 13w rear sump and overflow mod. I noticed a problem with his site adding the wrong wt. for the sump light of 35lbs instead of $35 causing my shipping wt/cost to almost double.

Chris has fixed this problem and was wondering why he wasn't getting many orders for rear sump light in his orders. So if anyone had this problem, it's fixed now and you can place your orders.

Your overflow is exactly how i planned to do my cube. I'm glad you didn't have a problem with your water flow.

Please post some pix of your mod, I would really like to see how it looks.

Thanks again.

Reggie.

P.S. Chris said I would get my Nanocube by this Friday the 18th :)

it's there right above the powerhead.

I bought a 2 dollar peice of black plexi, notched out the top.

Instead of just cutting notches in the top of the stock compartment 1 I notched the entire thing down to the top of the stock intake. Then glued my plexi over the stock intake so that it covered it over solid and the flow is excellent.

The powerhead is low enough to have a thin sponge run over top of it for filtration.

Thanks putz28,

You did such a good job of patching up the intake that i didn't even notice it was in the picture.

Chis,

Thanks for ansering my questions, I'll highly recommend your products.

Reggie.

I don't have any products :)

I just bought what I needed from home depot and the lfs and did my own tank.

I just didn't like the look of the grate, the stock intake. Take a look at your tank, there is a small hole below the stock intake, very easy to drill out for a powerhead.

Chris should think about adding this mod and a powerhead to his package, it'd save a rookie like me a ton of work.

Putz28,

what kind of glue did you use?

Larnie,

I'll be getting:

1.) MJ606

2.) Tunze 5024.04

3.) Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper.

What do you recommend for a heater? Brand/Watts?

Thanks.

larnie, that yuma is gorgeous!

I already told larnie this, but I didn't get a good look before it was scooped up into the bag at the LFS. When I was boxing it up I took a peek and I had a feeling that he'd gotten the pick of the litter. I even considered taking it home and swapping it out with one of my guys (I'd already made it very clear that it wasn't super pink, but more orange - turns out I was wrong :))

Now that I see how it's looking in your tank, I'm kinda wishing I hadn't been kidding about that - maybe you'll send a frag out my way ;)

j/k I'm really glad it turned out so well. It was fun sharing the $30 yumas with someone else.

Reggie,

I recommend the Ebo Jager 50w submersible heater. Its accurate and durable. Used in conjunction with the ReefKeeper, you'll have added security. Set your temperature on the Ebo Jager and then program the ReefKeeper to turn off power to the heater if the tank temperature reaches 83 degrees. This protects your tank from the possiblility of a run away heater.

Archived