Coral Vue Hydros

Larnie's Nano-Cube DX 92w

larnie

Sorry for the long post, I've been away from the forum over the past week.

Quoted from 91lxracer

Great tank Larnie. After I saw yours, I purchased the Larnie edition from Nanocustoms.  

Thanks racer, I hope that you enjoy your new tank!

Quoted from DamageInc

I've been searching for info on a nanocube with custom lighting and your thread has been extremely informative. Your information is greatly appreciated.  

I'm looking forward to picking up a custom 12g or 24g nc and joining the club. Great information from all the posters here.  

Thanks everyone!

I'm glad that this thread has been helpful. Keep us up to date with your tank development after you make your decision.

Quoted from Mjames4

Larnie, Chris and all the others,

Just wanted to take a moment to thank you for all the great info on your NC's. Due to this thread, I have contacted Chris and ordered a hood for my current NC. In reading this thread from start to finish, every question I had was answered, even ones I had not yet thought to ask .

Mark, the information on this thread is really just a compilation of ideas found on this forum. I'm glad that it has been helpful to you and I hope you enjoy your new Nanocustoms Nano-Cube!

Quoted from AndreM

Hey Larnie, I have the same tank as you and I couldn't be any happier  Except when I purchased a blastomussa merletti and a blastomussa wellsi I got confused about which needed the more vs. less light.

I'm no expert on blastomussa, however, they are naturally found in deeper or protected waters. They prefer moderate lighting and low water flow. So I recommend that you keep your blastos in the lower areas of your cube in a somewhat sheltered spot with moderate flow.

Quoted from ccjung

Sorry for the threadjack larnie

No problem Chris, you're welcome to use space on my thread anytime. The Nanocustoms hood is a central topic here. However, I'm not sure I "deserve" being referred to as a nanofreak...

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Larnie, Pre-ordered the 24g mod from nanocustoms. It was the perfect combo I was looking for. Hopefully there won't be temp issues but I'm sure Chris will work it out.

Damage

Damage

I think you made a wise choice in waiting for the new 24g to become available. Have you received an estimate of a possible delivery date?

Larnie,

Small update here. Thanks to all your posted info as I said in a earlier post,I set up 5 days ago a nanocustomes 2005 12DX modded to match your set up (7100 daylight until Chris gets the 10k in stock). I also have a reefkeeper on the way as well. I will be posting my specs and set up once i have new camera in the members forum. Now for the patience trying wait as the cycle progresses.....

Thanks again

Jest

Larnie,

No word on the eta of the 24g. Apparently, they are stuck in port. From what I have read on the boards from Chris once he gets them it will be about 2 weeks mod them. Hopefully I will have it up an running by within the next month. I'm striving for the look of the tank you created.

Damage

Quoted from Jestdave  

I also have a reefkeeper on the way as well.

Jest, did you order your ReefKeeper from Nanocustoms?

Quoted from DamageInc

I'm striving for the look of the tank you created.

That's a nice compliment, however, don't neglect your own creativity. Check out some of the other Nano-Cubes on the forum:

Rbaby's

Brick's

Sinistard's

Tigahboy's (A great new 6g Nano-Cube)

Mike Guerrero's

There are many others... I'm sure that you will come up with with something cool and unique.

Larnie,

Actually I intended on ordering it from Chris today yes :)

I have looked at all nano cube threads on a few forums before I decided on my set up.

I had some live sand shipped in from the Florida Keys so at least I have some critters to watch while i wait for the cycle to end. More to come...

Jest

nanocustoms.com

After consulting with Larnie and his expression of discontent with the term "nano freak" i have decided to call you guys "nano-pioneers"..

Lol.

Chris

Thanks Chris, "nano-freak" just doesn't sound right...

The more I think about it, "nano-pioneer" is a little over the top too. The real Nano-Cube explorers were those guys with DIY skills who hacked up their Nano-Cube hoods to extend their functionality. Guys like Kappa and Spasticat and Uchiha..

Then there are crazy guys like you that provide kits and systems for other hobbyists. What do we call you? "Nano-Uber-Cuber"!

When it all comes down to it, I'm just a nano-enthusiast.

Quoted from mikeguerrero  

Larnie,

Have you checked out my new thread? If not, check it out:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/sho...mp;pagenumber=1

Mike

I sure have Mike. You crack me up! You remind me of those Sea Monkey packages we used to see advertised as kids. Get a bowl, add water, stir in magic contents of package and presto-chango... INSTANT PICO REEF!

Just kidding, it looks great! Pico systems are compelling to me and you have assembled a very nice set-up. As always, you've shown your flare for "reef interior design", even though it is a little tightly packed...

Originally posted by larnie

Set your temperature on the Ebo Jager and then program the ReefKeeper to turn off power to the heater if the tank temperature reaches 83 degrees. This protects your tank from the possiblility of a run away heater.

Hey larnie. I have a 24g Nano Cube in queue with Chris at NanoCustoms and I'm also going to be purchasing the ReefKeeper from him. I've been doing a lot of reading on the ReefKeeper at the ReefKeeper Forum over at Reef Central, and it seems that people that use their ReefKeepers to power their heater have it set up just the opposite as you. Since the ReefKeeper is so accurate (+/- .1 of a degree), they use the ReefKeeper to turn on/off their heaters, and set their heaters to turn off at around 83 degrees to protect their tank from a "run away" ReefKeeper channel. I was just curious if you had come up with a good reason why not to set yours up this way, or if maybe you just didn't think of this. I was going to set mine up with the ReefKeeper turning on/off my heater, but if you have come up with a negative side to doing it this way, I will set it up like yours. Thanks... dave

Dave,

I don't see any down side to the method described on Reef Central. In fact, it is the method described in the ReefKeeper manual. The only difference being - which is designated as the primary control and which is the back-up control. The key with both options is to have a back-up shut off to protect your tank. The Ebo Jager heaters are very consistant as well. At night, when all the PC's are off, according to the ReefKeeper my tank stays at a rock steady 77.9 degrees. I think either method would serve you well.

I hope that your tank is avaliable soon!

Thanks larnie. I hope the new tank is here soon too. I read a post from Chris this morning that said that he thought there was a chance he MIGHT have the 2005 24g's tomorrow. They have been sitting at port in LA for over a month, but there's nothing he can do about that. I'm one of the few that paid for a sytem back in November. We'll just have to keep our finger crossed. You have a great looing tank by the way!

Ricordea yumas just don't sit there and look pretty, they are fairly active. Here is a sequence of three pictures that show how my pink yuma starts off the day.

Having a morning stretch after the "sun" comes up.

10630MorningSun-med.jpg

Eating a little cyclopeeze for breakfast.

10630Breakfast-med.jpg

Finally settling down to get comfortable for the day.

10630GettingComfortable-med.jpg

I just acclimated my latest addition to my Nano-Cube, a 3.5"+ yellow Favites halicora. I was attracted by the relief and color of this colony.

10630FavitesHalicora-med.jpg

Here's a macro to illustrate the texture a little better.

10630FavitesHalicoraMacro-med.jpg

It is an interesting piece Tigah. I'm not very skilled with a dremel, and I'm not sure I would know where to start on this colony. With the shared corallite walls there is no distinction between the polyps.

Here's another picture that I have been meaning to post.

10630CocoWormTube-med.jpg

In the three months that I've had this coco-worm in my cube, its tube has grown about half an inch. I regularly dose calcium and I provide phyto-plankton to the coco-worm about twice a week. It appears to be responding well.

full tank shot! I wanna see too :D

Gosh, I love your pink corals and the yellow favites are great!

You know, everytime I get a new piece for my tank I have the hardest time finding the best place for it... As Spasticat would say - I have aquascaping "happy hands".

I've recently been convinced, in part by Tigahboy's 6g Nano-Cube, that my tank should be populated with LPS and softies. I already have a local buyer for my crocea clam, but I don't think I'm ready to get rid of my montipora yet.

I'll post a FTS this evening after there is not so much reflective light in the room from my windows.

Originally posted by larnie

It is an interesting piece Tigah. I'm not very skilled with a dremel, and I'm not sure I would know where to start on this colony. With the shared corallite walls there is no distinction between the polyps.

Apparently favia are a lil more difficult to frag. Yoshiod said to use a hammer and chisel (I think that's what he said). I don't have any favia, so I dont know firsthand about how easy/difficult they are to frag.

Archived